Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Rasta1reef
Registered Member

Resealing my tank

Recently I have gotten a 180 gallon tank . I think it’s about 10 years old, the silicone around the corners are looking dry. It’s been sitting for a few years so I’m going to reseal it. Should I take it completely apart or can I just reseal it on the inside using the silicone.

Rasta1reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Silicon won't stick to old silicon, so it would better to disassemble the tank and reseal.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Rasta1reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101010 View Post
Silicon won't stick to old silicon, so it would better to disassemble the tank and reseal.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

Okay thank you which one would you recommend the black or clear silicone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/20/2018, 01:54 PM   #4
rc1626
Registered Member

I don't believe a complete tear down is necessary. From what I've read the main structural silicone is what is in the gaps where glass meets glass. You could remove the inner beads being very careful not to touch the main structural silicone. It needs to be perfectly clean. Acetone and razor blades, a lot of them. Then use the color silicone of your choice. I prefer black. Momentive rtv 103 or 108 would be what is recommended. 108 is clear and 103 is black I believe.
HTH

A complete tear down would be a major amount of work on a 180 not to mention putting it back together.

rc1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Silkyslim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1626 View Post
I don't believe a complete tear down is necessary. From what I've read the main structural silicone is what is in the gaps where glass meets glass. You could remove the inner beads being very careful not to touch the main structural silicone. It needs to be perfectly clean. Acetone and razor blades, a lot of them. Then use the color silicone of your choice. I prefer black. Momentive rtv 103 or 108 would be what is recommended. 108 is clear and 103 is black I believe.

HTH

A complete tear down would be a major amount of work on a 180 not to mention putting it back together.

This. I’ve done it with a 156gallon. Expect to put a lot of elbow grease into it. When you do seal the tank let the silicone cure. Use masking tape to have finished lines.

Silkyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

If the tank doesn’t leak then resealing the inside seal is fine. It would mainly be for cosmetic reasons for doing so. The inside seal isn’t structural & is there to protect the seams. Silicone degrades in water over time so the inner seal keeps the structural seams dry & protected. If u decide it is worth resealing for cosmetic reasons then be very careful not to harm the seams. If u are careful & make sure to get every bit of old silicone off the glass it does help with cosmetics quite a bit.

Trying to reseal a tank can often times lead to more harm then good & on a tank that size is time consuming. It is really a personal decision but by doing so u won’t really be adding any structural integrity to the tank

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Rasta1reef
Registered Member

Okay thanks to everyone that replied.