Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2015, 02:16 PM   #101
MCC
Registered Member

I know people dont like adding chemicals into the tank, but then you have empty tank at the moment. Try AlgaeFX. I used it and it works wonders for the GHA. I have SPS, LPS, softies. No effect on the corals, and the GHA is not visible at all in my DT. I now do weekly water changes of 10% and add a half maintenance dose of AlageFX as recommended on the bottle. Been over 6 months now, no issues and everything doing well and growing. Also running phosphate pellets from Brightwell.

I have used this on my previous tanks, with no ill effects. Read up on it on forums, not many people have issues.

But then again, even with AlgaeFX its a temporary fix to kill off all the current GHA, but you really need to keep the Phosphates and nutrients down for future or your sunlight problem.

Also you can try Algae X from Fauna Marin. i have a brand new bottle, never need to use it. It was my last resort if Algae FX didn't work. This stuff is more potent, and must be used with caution with fish/corals/livestock. I would take out the Purple Tang put it into your QT, and dose the Algae X to the max or even dose a bit more. It really depletes O2, but then again you have no fish or livestock its a great way to eradicate the GHA.

I tried everything. Scrubbing, hydrogen peroxide, lights out (killed some of my corals and fish), less feeding to no feeding (starved my fish).

MCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 12:37 AM   #102
E.Rude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
I thought you called out sick today?
LOL...If only I could...my obligation is to my patients, not my bosses. If I felt like I work for my bosses and not the people I take care of, then I'd have the flu right now, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
I know people dont like adding chemicals into the tank, but then you have empty tank at the moment. Try AlgaeFX. I used it and it works wonders for the GHA. I have SPS, LPS, softies. No effect on the corals, and the GHA is not visible at all in my DT. I now do weekly water changes of 10% and add a half maintenance dose of AlageFX as recommended on the bottle. Been over 6 months now, no issues and everything doing well and growing. Also running phosphate pellets from Brightwell.

I have used this on my previous tanks, with no ill effects. Read up on it on forums, not many people have issues.

But then again, even with AlgaeFX its a temporary fix to kill off all the current GHA, but you really need to keep the Phosphates and nutrients down for future or your sunlight problem.

Also you can try Algae X from Fauna Marin. i have a brand new bottle, never need to use it. It was my last resort if Algae FX didn't work. This stuff is more potent, and must be used with caution with fish/corals/livestock. I would take out the Purple Tang put it into your QT, and dose the Algae X to the max or even dose a bit more. It really depletes O2, but then again you have no fish or livestock its a great way to eradicate the GHA.

I tried everything. Scrubbing, hydrogen peroxide, lights out (killed some of my corals and fish), less feeding to no feeding (starved my fish).
I think I'm going to stick with manual removal for now, but thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot if my current methods don't work.

Unread 01/17/2015, 10:20 AM   #103
E.Rude
Registered Member

Got the stand for the QT put together this morning.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the VorTech's from the DT and fuge and clean them up. The Biocube and salt are scheduled for delivery on Monday and Tuesday. I'm going to try to make it out to a LFS today to pick up a small aquarium for the QT's ATO reservoir.

Unread 01/17/2015, 03:34 PM   #104
azjohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post

I also did what MCC did, I used API Algae Fix, had no effect on fish, corals or BTA. The GHA hasn't been back since. IMO it kills the algae spores

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 03:42 PM   #105
E.Rude
Registered Member

^ I might have to give it a shot, just to get rid of the existing algae. I can't really do much work in the aquarium- I've been working on a full sleeve tattoo the last few weeks and have a month or so to go. I have a feeling I will be battling phosphates for a while until they leech from the rocks.

Unread 01/18/2015, 03:45 PM   #106
E.Rude
Registered Member

With the exception of the light fixture and the Korallia 4 in the bottom right of the pic, this is all the electrical I was able to get rid of by switching from two MP40's to a Gyre

Unread 01/18/2015, 04:47 PM   #107
stevenson22
Registered Member

How do you like it... his that have tried it locally are complaining about noise when ran at higher speeds

stevenson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 09:52 PM   #108
E.Rude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenson22 View Post
How do you like it... his that have tried it locally are complaining about noise when ran at higher speeds
Compared to two MP40wES's running at 75%, it's much quieter even at 100%. One of the goals of this build was keeping noise level to a minimum and the only problem I had was the VorTechs. The Gyre not only solved some flow issues, it also decreased the noise exponentially.

Unread 01/18/2015, 09:54 PM   #109
E.Rude
Registered Member

Got some equipment set up for the QT (which is to be delivered tomorrow)

Unread 01/19/2015, 10:27 AM   #110
biecacka
Registered Member

Does the gyre move the whole tank for you? Also how do you like the leds? I'm thinking of switching over....
Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 10:43 PM   #111
E.Rude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Does the gyre move the whole tank for you? Also how do you like the leds? I'm thinking of switching over....
Corey
It does move the whole tank. When the 2nd gen comes out I might consider buying two new ones (if they communicate with one another) so I don't have to run it so high all the time, but it's for sure an improvement over the VorTech's.

I really like the LED's, too. I had them on my 125 for a while and got good color and growth from them. I'm still fighting algae in this tank, so I haven't been running them but for 4 hours a day-just enough to keep the two corals I have alive.

Unread 01/23/2015, 08:09 PM   #112
eddiereefs
Registered Member

Im really sorry to see your struggles with a brand new set up like that. It seems as thoughyour old rocks are leaching phosphate back into your new tank. Hair algae and dinos are nothing to take lightly. Scrap the rocks and buy some new dry rocks wash them well and toss them in. Ins not worthe battle at this juncture. If i had the choice thats what i would do before u invest in a lot of live stock and chemical dose. Just my 2cents

eddiereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2015, 06:47 AM   #113
Crazy4salth2o
Registered Member

I think your algae issues will subside over time. Every tank is unique. I get challenged every time a complete a new set up and have to alter my expectations. The formula that worked for one tank doesn't always work for the next. The basics stay the same.

Looks great. Good luck.

Crazy4salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2015, 11:52 AM   #114
E.Rude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiereefs View Post
Im really sorry to see your struggles with a brand new set up like that. It seems as thoughyour old rocks are leaching phosphate back into your new tank. Hair algae and dinos are nothing to take lightly. Scrap the rocks and buy some new dry rocks wash them well and toss them in. Ins not worthe battle at this juncture. If i had the choice thats what i would do before u invest in a lot of live stock and chemical dose. Just my 2cents
Everyday the algae gets better. Between the reduced light schedule and H2O2 the dino's are close to gone. I'm going to continue this until the dino's are completely gone. I would scrap the rocks, like you suggested, but not only do I really like my aquascape, I do not have the time or willingness at this point to completely re-start, especially since I'm seeing progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4salth2o View Post
I think your algae issues will subside over time. Every tank is unique. I get challenged every time a complete a new set up and have to alter my expectations. The formula that worked for one tank doesn't always work for the next. The basics stay the same.

Looks great. Good luck.
Thank you. I picked up a bottle of AlgaeFix today. I'm going to dose the AlgaeFix when I turn the lights out before work, and dose H2O2 when I get home from work. Lights are on only 4-5 hours a day.

With all the tattoo work I've been getting I can't really manually remove the algae. I've read good reviews on AlgaeFix. Right now, the algae has died back 70% so I think this will remove the remaining stuff.

As soon as the tank is clear of algae I'm going to increase the amount of GFO I run to hopefully clear the water of whatever phosphates continue to leech from the rocks.

Fish order will be made this Saturday.

Unread 01/26/2015, 09:36 AM   #115
E.Rude
Registered Member

For whatever reason, whenever I try to upload more pictures to Photobucket it keeps telling me that the 'image has been deleted or moved by the user', which is not the case

Unread 01/26/2015, 12:40 PM   #116
dave.m
Registered Member

If you're not a paying PB user you may have hit some sort of limit.

With the algicide you should be aware that it will leave a lot of dead crud in your tank, especially on the rocks or wherever the algae died. I cleaned this out partially with a vacuum and mostly by sweeping my hand in the water to disturb the crud and get it to float and go through the overflow to a filter sock for removal.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 03:14 PM   #117
E.Rude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
If you're not a paying PB user you may have hit some sort of limit.

With the algicide you should be aware that it will leave a lot of dead crud in your tank, especially on the rocks or wherever the algae died. I cleaned this out partially with a vacuum and mostly by sweeping my hand in the water to disturb the crud and get it to float and go through the overflow to a filter sock for removal.

Dave.M
Photobucket is telling me that my storage is only 20% full, though.

I'll be doing water changes to clear out the dead stuff as soon as the dino's are gone.

Unread 02/10/2015, 12:14 AM   #118
E.Rude
Registered Member

Lemme tell ya: in the two weeks that I've been dosing AlgaeFix I have seen a dramatic difference in the algae.

I finally ordered 6 disbar anthias and 1/2# of chaeto, to be delivered today and a 20 piece SPS frag pack that will be here tomorrow.

Unread 02/10/2015, 12:26 AM   #119
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

Build looks great and glad you are winning the algae war!

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon, 29 Gallon, 2-20L QT, and a 20 gallon tall octogon tank waiting to be setup for a seahorse tank.
Sn8kbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2015, 09:36 AM   #120
E.Rude
Registered Member

Haven't updated in a while...Life kinda showed up and the tank(s) had to go on the back burner. I lost all the anthias in QT and the Dinos ended up choking-out a lot of the frags. I had to take a step-back from everything for a while and I just turned off all the lights on the DT for like 3 weeks.

I found balance in life again and turned the lights back on and surprisingly some of the frags were still alive. I've let the lights run on a normal schedule for a few weeks and dinos and GHA have not returned. I did some much needed maintenance on the DT and QT, got a flame angel, midas blenny, and firefish, and 5 frags. Still have some work to do, but the DT is looking better than ever. It's good to be back on track and making progress.

Still haven't tried figuring out the issue with Photobucket, but will look into it tomorrow.

Unread 04/23/2015, 10:22 AM   #121
E.Rude
Registered Member

...Because what would a new build be without GHA, dino's, AND aiptasia.

Unread 04/23/2015, 11:05 AM   #122
E.Rude
Registered Member

Unread 04/23/2015, 11:07 AM   #123
E.Rude
Registered Member

Some of the frags that are coming back after 3 weeks of lights-out:

Unread 04/23/2015, 11:09 AM   #124
E.Rude
Registered Member

Some of the new frags added last week:

Unread 04/24/2015, 04:48 PM   #125