Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2015, 02:01 PM   #26
DopeCantWin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Yeah that's pretty bad

Even bothers me when I got to a LFS and 3 employees are sitting around talking to each other and there are dead fish in their tanks...
I had the same issue with an LFS here. Every time I'd go, they would have some super cramped fish, lots of dead fish, but great prices. So once in a while I'd make the mistake and pull the trigger. Still have one of the fish even, around 4 year old Candy Hog. So they moved, and I went to check out the new location. It was even worse, more dead fish, and the live ones in even worse condition. But now it was overpriced as well. I was lied to over the phone, and when I tried to get a manager, apparently he was too busy. So I went ahead and wrote a pretty scathing review online, talking about my experience and what I saw. It ended up with the manager contacting me by phone a world of ****ed off. Saying things like why I don't call out other stores with dead fish and poor conditions. I explained that other stores in the area didn't have dead fish and poor conditions. Finally he asked me what I wanted, apparently he though I wanted a deal or a bribe or something. He was very confused when I told him I didn't want anything, I had already gotten the Blue Tang I wanted from another store and wouldn't be coming back. Still have the little guy from around 2.5 years ago. For fun, I found the review

"I wanted to share my experience with this store today. They've opened in the new location, on the bright side your feet won't get wet anymore. I called ahead and asked if they had any Blue Tangs. I was told the tiny were 34 and the small were 40ish. So I went on the trip all excited. When I got there, as usual, there were a ton of dead fish in the tanks, at various states of decomposing. The tiny Blue Tang I was going to get had red spots all over him and was about to die. They had one just slightly larger, we're talking 1/4", and I was told $60. This was the most I've ever seen for a Blue Tang that small. In the other location their prices were always great. So I asked to speak to a manager. The manager said he couldn't talk to me because he had to get to a meeting, but would call me if I left my number, which I did. Upon closer inspection, you can see most of their fish are sick. I saw Ich and bites on the Moorish Idol. Bacterial infections on a bunch of other fish, most of which look severely underfed."

DopeCantWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 02:24 PM   #27
FinzAquatics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrek787 View Post
Does anybody where does petco get their fish from?
CIS Tropical Fish International
Sustainable Aquatics
Quality Marine
Seagrest
ORA

Same places as most local fish shops

FinzAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 02:26 PM   #28
BuzzPion
Registered Member

On another thread someone is thinking about opening a LFS and I was harangued by some for suggesting that we should not shop at stores with diseased livestock and dirty tanks. Seems some think that it is impossible for a LFS to maintain clean tanks and healthy animals and that I was being unreasonable for event suggesting that they should.

BuzzPion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 02:27 PM   #29
DopeCantWin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzPion View Post
On another thread someone is thinking about opening a LFS and I was harangued by some for suggesting that we should not shop at stores with diseased livestock and dirty tanks. Seems some think that it is impossible for a LFS to maintain clean tanks and healthy animals and that I was being unreasonable for event suggesting that they should.
Absolutely not true. I've seen several LFSs that have had fish always in good shape. One that I've been visiting for around a decade.

Unread 07/15/2015, 02:57 PM   #30
jminick2
Registered Member

well that was depressing

Current Tank Info: 300g sps tank
jminick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 02:58 PM   #31
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminick2 View Post
well that was depressing
My wife wants to "rescue" fish any time we're every at Petco.

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 03:17 PM   #32
BuzzPion
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeCantWin View Post
Absolutely not true. I've seen several LFSs that have had fish always in good shape. One that I've been visiting for around a decade.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...7#post23874027

BuzzPion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 04:28 PM   #33
Genera
Blink and you're dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrek787 View Post
Does anybody where does petco get their fish from? My first and final fish purchase at petco was a stripped butterfly that just arrived and was still in the shipping bag. I wasn't able to get him to eat anything and he didn't last more then a week.

I don't really get how the fish distributor can keep the fish alive without them eating any prepared food.
They don't. They sell them to you whether eating or not. Unless they specifically show you the fish eating. What kind of 'striped' butterflyfish is it, because I know of many butterflyfish with stripes, and I don't know of a specific species called the Striped Butterflyfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloChromis View Post
The tang had been hit by a *boat rudder*???
I meant propeller or whatever the spinning thing is that makes the boat go forward lol. I don't do vehicles. But it did indeed get struck with a boat part, kind of like the sea turtles and manatees, except it was a fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliganReef View Post
Which Petco where you in? Burnsville, Minnetonka, or Maple grove? I know when I go inside any petco, I wish I had the money and tanks to save most of the fish.
The Petco in Maple Grove, MN. In the shopping center. Same with me, but if you bought all the fish, they will fill up the tanks with more fish, potentially causing more suffering.

Current Tank Info: n/a
Genera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 07:36 PM   #34
stravo71
Registered Member

See thays the thing. In my area of Pennsylvania I have three petco within 30 min of each other. Two of them their salt selection is horrible and not taken care of. Nobody knowledgeable there working ever. Always have to google my own questions. But the petco in Harrisburg pa is amazing they are considered a magnet store. Get whatever you want and the staff is awesome. Have always had a great experience in that store. I just got a blonde naso today. And I absolutely love it. Their coral selection is amazing too and a lot cheaper than most of the other places around.

stravo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 09:00 PM   #35
GilliganReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genera View Post
They don't. They sell them to you whether eating or not. Unless they specifically show you the fish eating. What kind of 'striped' butterflyfish is it, because I know of many butterflyfish with stripes, and I don't know of a specific species called the Striped Butterflyfish?

I meant propeller or whatever the spinning thing is that makes the boat go forward lol. I don't do vehicles. But it did indeed get struck with a boat part, kind of like the sea turtles and manatees, except it was a fish.

The Petco in Maple Grove, MN. In the shopping center. Same with me, but if you bought all the fish, they will fill up the tanks with more fish, potentially causing more suffering.

Last time I was in the MG one I bought hermits and asked for extra shells. The lady said she would have to charge per crab for extra shells. Lol I said fine just give me my hermits. Lol

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef
GilliganReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 09:10 PM   #36
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzPion View Post
I'm sorry but you were saying that all fish AND corals have to be 100% pest/parasite free. No LFS is that thorough that I know of. A lot of LFS's run a low amount of copper to make their fish look and feel healthier, but problems will present themselves outside of the holding tanks if you do not QT as that is only a band-aid. We should all get in the habit of QTing our own livestock, period.

I was not saying that their tanks shouldn't be clean, of course they should be clean. I just think it's unrealistic to think all livestock should be QT'd for AEFW, red bugs, FWs, nuisance algae, flukes, brooklynella, ich, the list goes on and on and you would have to have a huge operation to handle such an endeavor and it would make prices much higher.

I imagine there might be a shop out there that strives for this ideal, but it's definitely not local to me. I'm sure wherever it is it's in a larger reefing community like LA.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 09:12 PM   #37
DopeCantWin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
I'm sorry but you were saying that all fish AND corals have to be 100% pest/parasite free. No LFS is that thorough. A lot of LFS's run a low amount of copper to make their fish look and feel healthier, but problems will present themselves outside of the holding tanks if you do not QT as that is only a band-aid. We should all get in the habit of QTing our own livestock, period.

I was not saying that their tanks shouldn't be clean, of course they should be clean. I just think it's unrealistic to think all livestock should be QT'd for AEFW, red bugs, FWs, nuisance algae, flukes, brooklynella, ich, the list goes on and on and you would have to have a huge operation to handle such an endeavor and it would make prices much higher.
We use to have an LFS which would keep all new fish in a separate system. Monitoring them, etc. They also had a treatment system for the sick fish. Never saw a single dead or sick fish in their care. By far the best store I have ever seen, and they got a ton of my business. The entire community was very sad when they closed down.

Unread 07/15/2015, 09:47 PM   #38
domination2580
Registered Member

***....turn it in.....it's not worth letting the fish die...it's places like these that cause the issues with taking ocean fish from Hawaii. And the new tricky rules that they causing ....seriously research on who to get a hold of and turn them in and shut them down

domination2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 12:24 AM   #39
Genera
Blink and you're dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinzAquatics View Post
CIS Tropical Fish International
Sustainable Aquatics
Quality Marine
Seagrest
ORA

Same places as most local fish shops
I'm pretty sure most get their fish from the cheapest importer they can find. The Petcos with the truly knowledgeable employees, might order stuff from ORA, Sustainable Aquatics, Seagrest, Quality Marine, and etc.
Off topic- I got my beloved budgerigar, Lucky, from Petco, and I regret it after seeing and reading about the conditions he came from link, but feel good for saving him from the horrors. He came with an upper respiratory infection, and clipped wings. Now he is healthy, and is able to fly completely. A bird that can't fly is like a human that can't walk. It's their way of getting around. Poor things. Read the linked article for more about where he came from, it's pretty horrible.

Unread 07/16/2015, 01:53 AM   #40
Bpb
Registered Member

At this point if you're just now discovering petco is less than desirable with their fish keeping policy and execution, you're clearly new to the hobby. That's like starting a thread complaining about the fish keeping practices and staff knowledge at Walmart. Enter the store with appropriate expectations

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 02:34 AM   #41
Paden
Registered Member

I went into the petco last Wed in BrooklynPark.I really think it was the dirtiest tanks of death i ever seen!.I asked the kid who finaly came from the back just why the tanks looked so bad,andhe replied that he just hasn,t had time to clean the glass.Told him the substrate,plants and decorations could not of been cleaned in the last week to look like that.I spoke to the manager who was like don't ya know we clean the tanks on Tue.Yeah you could tell she was a burnout.This is the same store that had their saltwater fish taken away by corp cause they could NOT keep clowns,angels etc alive.
Paden

Paden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 04:03 AM   #42
acidblondie
Registered Member

I've seen even worse things at some of the LFS's around here and some less than acceptable things at some of the premium shops. Just gotta watch what you're doing where ever you go. That said I got a 4 1/2 inch purple tang at petco for $120, looked fine when I got him and he's doing just fine now 8 months later

Current Tank Info: A big glass box with a bunch of gizmos and wires
acidblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 08:09 AM   #43
thestreetzking
Registered Member

I noticed petco now only sells through live aquaria online now, whats the chance thats where there getting there fish for the stores now? might be better but still if the employees suck i dont think it will matter

thestreetzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 08:24 AM   #44
Zerodeception0
Registered Member

It varies from location to location is what I have seen. I go to one that is amazingly clean always. I managed to pick up a black clown (I think) hosting a condy. After about one month, still doing great. She is in my avatar. I have seen some places horrible in tank maintenance from saltwater to freshwater. Those animals don't deserve that but better.

Zerodeception0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 08:37 AM   #45
thestreetzking
Registered Member

whats funny is my petcos selection of freshwater is amazing and everything is great, I have picked up many cichlids with wonderful results.

thestreetzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 08:48 AM   #46
CStrickland
Registered Member

It's like they are factory-farming the stock. Except unlike with food animals none of us have the excuse that we can't afford to buy properly handled animals cause unlike eating, hobbies are optional. But it's harder to support ethical practices with shady sellers driving prices down.

I'm losing hope that the liveaquaria partnership is going to do any good

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 08:53 AM   #47
Shawn O
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
We have three real good Petco's all run by reefers from local clubs, the one close to me not, I was there on shipment day and they had three fish I wanted still in the bag I wanted to buy the three but they would not sell me the fish unless the were first put into their tanks then netted and put in a new bag, I said I would save them the trouble, give me the bag with the fish in it and they said that they were not allowed to.
Have them put the entire bag into the tank and then remove the bag with a net. Maybe their policy is to get them out of the shipping water into clean(er) water asap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestreetzking View Post
I noticed petco now only sells through live aquaria online now, whats the chance thats where there getting there fish for the stores now? might be better but still if the employees suck i dont think it will matter
Petco now owns LiveAquaria.

My local Petco, which just opened this spring, has a decent SW section. Nothing dead, no obvious illnesses, etc. The Coral/Anemone MARS unit went through a bad Cyano outbreak but has been good since. Their corals and nems don't look too good but the fish are all healthy looking, except for a pair of Zebra Barred dartfish, who look underfed. The fish may just look be healthy looking due to replacing them with new fish as soon as they get sickly looking, who knows?. A few of the employees there seem genuinely interested in the well being of the fish, at least for now...

Current Tank Info: 55gal tank, sumpless, ReefOctopus Classic 90, Twin bulb T5.

Last edited by Shawn O; 07/16/2015 at 09:03 AM.
Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 09:35 AM   #48
Genera
Blink and you're dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
At this point if you're just now discovering petco is less than desirable with their fish keeping policy and execution, you're clearly new to the hobby. That's like starting a thread complaining about the fish keeping practices and staff knowledge at Walmart. Enter the store with appropriate expectations
No I discovered this years ago. This is the first time I've been to a Petco in a few years other than $/gal sales, and I checked on their fish to see if the fish were in good health or not, in this case, the with were not healthy. Some of the Petcos I've been to, one of them in particular, is actually quite good at maintaining their aquatics. The problem is they already have disease and pests inside of it. So if they treated it and kept it that way, then that store could probably rival an LFS. The problem is the good employees don't work every day.

Unread 07/16/2015, 11:39 AM   #49
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
We have three real good Petco's all run by reefers from local clubs, the one close to me not, I was there on shipment day and they had three fish I wanted still in the bag I wanted to buy the three but they would not sell me the fish unless the were first put into their tanks then netted and put in a new bag, I said I would save them the trouble, give me the bag with the fish in it and they said that they were not allowed to.
This past Tuesday I tried the same thing with a Royal Gramma, they just got two of them in and I wanted one of them. BUT only if I could have it in the shipping bag as it was. Nope they couldn't do that.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 03:10 PM   #50
SaltyDoug
Registered Member

I just went to a BRAND NEW petco in shrewsbury ma. I found 4 dead damsels and a foxface who looked like his face was covered in a spider Web I had no idea what it was. I told the employee about all the dead fish but he didn't seem that concerned. All the tangs clearly had ich as well :/

SaltyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote