Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2018, 10:41 PM   #10676
PMReefs
Registered Member

New to the hobby, tried an aio tank a couple years ago but just didn’t have the time to get into it.

Now my gf (Paige) and I (Matt) are going to give a reef tank a go since we have the space and time! We just ordered a Red Sea Reefer 350 Deluxe, should be here next week and we can’t wait ��. Hopefully this was a good choice of tank for new to the hobby people.

Right now we are just researching what equipment to get for the tank while we wait for it to ship.

PMReefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 11:24 AM   #10677
jbarberdoyle
Registered Member

Smile Newby

My daughter has gone off to college and I am doing my best to follow her protocols. Things seem to be ok, with occasional missteps. I知 a science teacher, so I am not totally out of my depth, but this is a time consuming hobby. Very cool to watch these creatures do there thing.

jbarberdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 03:07 PM   #10678
Indianasalt
Registered Member

Indiana new saltwater

Ok, I'll keep it brief- I'm a Union Electrician/ Lineman and when laced off take some side jobs here and there. I did a job for a guy a few weeks ago and he offered up his saltwater tank, live rock, sand, etc etc the whole kit and caboodle in exchange for my work. Until now the only experience I have is in freshwater because I didn't want to get into the expense of saltwater. Needless to say I am now a proud and scared saltwater daddy. We cycled the tank for 3-4 weeks, everything is tested and looks great so yesterday we went and got 2 clowns, a yellow goby, hermit crab and green mushroom coral frag. Any help, what to watch for, pointers would be great. I appreciate any response. Thanks

Indianasalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 06:30 PM   #10679
Jloebenberg
Registered Member

Cool New member

Thanks for the add. I知 running a Fluval M90 reef tank. It is 36 display with with a built in 4 gallon sump on the back. It just finished cycling and I致e added a clown, some turbo snails, and some nassarius snails. I also picked up some nice looking Lord, riccordia and frog spawn frags at reef-o-polooza Orlando last weekend. The corals are acclimating and I知 excited to watch them grow out. I知 still pretty green when it comes to fully understanding my parameters. My dkh is consistanctky around 12 and my Ca is about 500. I知 currently using fluval sea because it came with my tank set up and I知 mixing to 1.021-1.025 and it is consistently coming up high even though the package says it should be lower. Are these numbers ok or should I look to switching salt brands? Thanks in advance. Look forward to learning and growing in the hobby.

Jloebenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 07:19 PM   #10680
natanitelite
Registered Member

hi all!

So, I'm definitely not "new" but I've been away from reefing for about 5 years, and I feel like I've forgotten more than I remember!

natanitelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 09:08 AM   #10681
Kharsin
Registered Member

Just wanted to say hi! The wife and I have been bitten by the aquarium bug, and I enjoy browsing the forums for information! Nice to meet y'all!

Kharsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:38 PM   #10682
jessezm
Registered Member

New/Old/Whatever

Hey all! I'm in Atlanta and have been out of the hobby for a number of years and thinking about getting back into it soon. I had a 200g reef last but broke it down 10 years about when I moved houses and have been dry ever since. I used to have hundreds of posts here but they all disappeared and I have to build them back up again so I can start buying stuff on the for sale forums which I can't see right now

IF someone can help me bypass that i'd love to have your help - I can't even PM a moderator yet!

Cheers!

Jesse

jessezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:40 PM   #10683
jessezm
Registered Member

Oh, P.S -

I am not sure what I am going to do yet - I was thinking a smallish mixed reef - like a 60g cube. I have a Kessil Tuna 360We light and a Reef Octopus 3000int, but that's about it so far (got em cheap at an estate sale)

Open to suggestions!

jessezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 05:13 PM   #10684
Turtlesarus82
Registered Member

Help

I am going to be building a 72x24x24 inch salt water tank and I want to put some cool coral and some cool fish 2 main fish I want is a maroon clown fish and maybe a dwarf lion fish what kind of coral should I get and what other fish

Turtlesarus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 06:19 PM   #10685
Subillbo
Registered Member

Kinda New to saltwater

Hello all -
I've started a nano tank a few weeks ago .... had a 55g about 10 years ago, so I know a lot has changed and consider myself a newbie. I have a fluval evo 13.5 with some mods, I purchased the intank filter baskets and trying a mini refugium in the middle part of the back .. I've cycled the tank for 3ish weeks and currently have 2 nassarius, 3 throchus and 1 conch I added yesterday.... today I added tiger copepodes. So far everything is looking and testing good and will be adding a fish in a week or 2..... unlike 10years ago I am being patient and trying to take it slow.... just wanted to say hi and plan on asking a lot of questions so I can have a nice reef nano tank. Thanks in advance!

Subillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 03:58 AM   #10686
Stusstag
Registered Member

Howdy...just ventured into the world of saltwater by picking up an established 75g reef tank for way too cheap to pass up. Hoping to learn enough here to keep the current coral alive and if that goes well add a few more pieces over time.

Stusstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 02:00 PM   #10687
Snowman70
Registered Member

Beginner

Hi everyone beginner her. Just bought a 45 g tank on saturday and currently waiting for the tank to cycle.

Snowman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 11:48 AM   #10688
Mike Tenn
Registered Member

Hi ReefCentral!

I致e had a 55 gallon tank for a few years back in 1995. I started out with African cichlids then converted to a marine tank with fish only. I知 planning on buying a new tank with a stand/cabinet in a few weeks and I知 wondering where would be the best place to order one as far as quality and cost goes.

I had two in mind- a 66 gallon tank with cabinet and sump from www.scaquariums.com or the 70 gallon Artisan II tank with pinewood cabinet and sump from www.cadlights.com.

Are any of these tanks a good choice for a beginner? Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Tenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 02:27 PM   #10689
Saltysouthern33
Registered Member

new to the hobby

hello and thank you for allowing me to be apart of this forum.... im mike I live in the south and the water / ocean is apart of my life. I am a part time scuba diver down in Florida and decided to start my first aquarium , i recently purchased a new reef tank (biocube 29) from a customer of mine ,bran new in box for $100 and could not pass up the deal figured for my first tank it would be good to learn with , yes i know its a small tank but that's what was in front of me at the time. i would like to make this a half fish and half reef tank , ive been dong research to learn how to start this and how to maintain. i wanted to become apart of a group / family to grow with and learn as much as i can so i picked reef central to do so as this forum looks as if its a great place to be. Now for your advance reefers take it easy on me cause i know at one point you had to start somewhere as well .......well thanks and hope to make some friends and gain advice from such a great place !!!!!!!

Saltysouthern33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 06:44 AM   #10690
Fietsenrex
Registered Member

taking the plunge

Hi all,

so I'm wouter, and I'm dutch.
I'm planning on starting a 100gal reefer, I'm currently running a 265gal freshwater that will become a reefer is the 100gal is succesfull

the freshwater tank

Fietsenrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 08:39 PM   #10691
dogpoo
Registered Member

thanks for the add. i'm here for some new information before i setup a new tank.

dogpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 09:22 PM   #10692
ennairb
Registered Member

Hi all!

Taking a moment to stop and say hi, in the process of building my 40 gallon reef tank after years of fascination and awe and having fresh water. So far had a few hitchhikers on the live rock and hoping to figure out what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ennairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 10:26 PM   #10693
Drewbe147
Registered Member

Hello everyone, new to the hobby and forums. I recently, after loads of reading lots of information, set up a 90 gallon tank with sump. Been reading alot but finally decided to join. Thanks for having me.

Drew

Drewbe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 05:29 PM   #10694
NewB2Sea
Registered Member

Smile New to Saltwater hobby

Hey! I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I have a 10g and a 20g high. I also have freshwater as well.
Cycling my 10g, so just the 20g is up and running. It has 8 pounds of live rock, 2 clownfish, 1 bubble anemone, and 5 types of coral that I am unsure of all the names.

NewB2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 01:05 PM   #10695
kbond1087
Registered Member

Hello! My name is Kate, I am a 28 Year old from British Columbia Canada! Just starting up my first reef tank! (so excited!!!) I just posted regarding the equipment i have purchased and looking for some feedback!

kbond1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2018, 06:05 PM   #10696
chukthunder
Registered Member

maybe a ten

Howdy,

Wanted to learn the science of it, going to start a ten soon.

All my experience has been with South American cichlids, tetra, and some fresh water inverts.

Will be starting out with donated equipment and conflicting advice from friends.

Thanks

chukthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 12:17 PM   #10697
meldog
Registered Member

I'm new to nano tanks

I used to have a 75 gallon oceanic with 30 trickle sump I have my nano coralife biocube 29 I'd like to ask a question can you polish the outside the splash guard with headlight cleaner?

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube
meldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2018, 05:32 PM   #10698
Cherlynn1955
Registered Member

Back into the hobby after 15 years!

Good evening all! Well after all these years and retirement came decided to get back in the hobby!

Cherlynn1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 10:35 AM   #10699
c147258
Registered Member

Hi all,

My dad has reef fish before but nowadays he is having a Japanese Koi business himself.

I've always wanted a reef tank so I am planning to get a red sea reefer 750. Its a big tank so lets take it step by step.

c147258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 07:15 PM   #10700
Zane W.
Registered Member

Hello

Hello everyone of ReefCentral I'm new here and haven't personally set up a saltwater tank but my father has set up many and I might soon set up a tank. I personally have setup multiple freshwater tanks and have done tons of research and intend to learn more from all of you guys on RC.

PS. I'm only twelve years old.

Zane W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral