Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2018, 10:14 PM   #1
idan555
Registered Member

GFO, Carbon and salt

Hello all,
im looking to my:
GFO
Carbon
Salt to mix with RODI...

I read about a lot of people saying some of the chunky carbon didn’t do a good job for them. Anyone know about good carbon?

Also, after i bought 5 stage RODI system form BRS I want to start and mix my salt water at home. I read many people saying they had a problem with high Mg levels because of the salt.
Any seductions about the best salt? (I’m not looking for the most expensive in the market)

Dan.

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 10:58 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

There are a number of good carbon products available. The SeaChem Matrix Carbon is fine, and the ROX 0.8 is supposed to be very good.

Instant Ocean seems fine. A lot of Tanks of the Month have run on it, and it's fairly cheap.

Unread 04/20/2018, 04:17 PM   #3
MakomekTVN
Registered Member

I'm using
Aquamaxx rox 0.8
regular Instant ocean salt.
TL reef GFO
Cheap and effective.

MakomekTVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 10:53 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Granular activared carbon will exhaust faster the smaller the particles. That being said it is the quicker method if you believe you have toxins. If you are wanting to use the carbon just for water quality (clarity) I suggest the cheap bulk stuff and a mesh bag placed in a high flow section if the sump.

GFO also should only be used as needed. Running 24/7 for weeks and months on end will create more problems than it solves. Corals need phosphates and nitrates. Get a good Po4 test kit and only run GFO if the level gets too high. Algae is a good indicator that your nitrates and phosphates are too high. Bottom both out and you'll kill your coral.

RODI is a must! Get a simple TDS meter to ensure you get the most out of the filters and replace when TDS gets above 5-7ppm.