Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Pife
Registered Member

My Glassboxreef

I'm starting a new Journal as Photobucket has destroyed my old one. At least this one doesn't have to suffer through three years of an agonizingly slow build.

Here are some current pictures of where my reef is as of today. Several fish but no coral in the DT as of yet.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Pife
Registered Member

Here are some pictures of my frag tank in the basement. It's connected to the same system as my DT.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/08/2017, 07:22 PM   #3
codydemmel4
Registered Member

display looks good, I like the rockscape!

Of course the corals look great too! Any idea when youll move them to the DT? or at least some

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Pife
Registered Member

I'm down here staring into my frag tank trying to figure out the first one to go in... Should it be my oldest coral? Should it be the ones I want in the prime spots? Should I start at the back of the DT and work my way forward? So many questions.

Unread 08/08/2017, 08:35 PM   #5
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Hahaha yeah that is tough. I can just say from my experience and moving, starting with new rock that I wish I had a thriving frag tank like you to leave my colonies and good frags in while putting the cheap stuff in the DT to see how it does. This move has been so rough to my tank but it is finally starting to come back (knock on wood), I go on vacation tomorrow so we will see how it is when I get back.

Thats what I would do, put the cheaper stuff in for a couple weeks or a month and see how it does. Just make sure you have them on frag plugs you can move for your nice pieces!

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245

Last edited by codydemmel4; 08/08/2017 at 08:41 PM.
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 11:31 PM   #6
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Hardiest pieces first, then once you're happy with how they're going add the pieces that are getting prime locations and follow up with everything else lol that would be my method to the madness of placement

LOVE the hardscape, it's just awesome Pifey!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 11:59 PM   #7
WLachnit
Registered Member

Probably less of a risk to move them to the DT since the frag tank is connected to the DT. So, at least you don't have to worry about changes that in chemistry.

That's a great collection of corals. Love how they're growing on the tank bottom.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 03:19 AM   #8
biggles
Registered Member

Good stuff mate, be great to watch your reef from the start. I think i'll enjoy watching you place all those pieces more than you will doing it......

I like the place you started the journal even if it was forced on you Pifey

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:15 AM   #9
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
Hahaha yeah that is tough. I can just say from my experience and moving, starting with new rock that I wish I had a thriving frag tank like you to leave my colonies and good frags in while putting the cheap stuff in the DT to see how it does. This move has been so rough to my tank but it is finally starting to come back (knock on wood), I go on vacation tomorrow so we will see how it is when I get back.

Thats what I would do, put the cheaper stuff in for a couple weeks or a month and see how it does. Just make sure you have them on frag plugs you can move for your nice pieces!
Believe it or not I never even considered trying less than stellar pieces for a "test". I'm going to plop a couple in tonight when I get home. How's your tank doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Hardiest pieces first, then once you're happy with how they're going add the pieces that are getting prime locations and follow up with everything else lol that would be my method to the madness of placement

LOVE the hardscape, it's just awesome Pifey!
I. Going to start with some tonight! Like I said above I never even thought to put the hardier pieces in first. It will begin tonight. Thank you. I hope that I have it planned for maximum coral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLachnit View Post
Probably less of a risk to move them to the DT since the frag tank is connected to the DT. So, at least you don't have to worry about changes that in chemistry.

That's a great collection of corals. Love how they're growing on the tank bottom.
I agree. I have the par pretty much matched up too.

I wish they were spreading out in my DT but soon enough they will be. I have started to put some on the back of the frag tank now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Good stuff mate, be great to watch your reef from the start. I think i'll enjoy watching you place all those pieces more than you will doing it......

I like the place you started the journal even if it was forced on you Pifey
Thank you. It's going to be the combination of a three-year struggle to get a reef in my living room.

I figured it was a good place to start over. I am already looking forward to your new Journal too.

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:26 AM   #10
Pife
Registered Member

So my wife and I were sitting in the living room watching television and she looks at me and says is that as quiet as that fish tank going to be. I was appalled. Now some of the local guys know I'm not the best of hearing but I can hear my tank and I thought it was very quiet. So I kindly ask her what she thinks needs to be quited down and she came up with quite a list already. I couldn't believe it . But it's a happy wife happy life kind of thing. I'm going to start with replacing all the bearings in my MP40s. I ordered five sets from Boca bearings. I've already done a couple of them with the help of this thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1901337&page=8

I'll probably upgrade to all quiet drive wet sides as the one I've already done that to is significantly quieter and in my opinion has a much better spread out flow pattern.

One of the things she really didn't like was the slight trickling of water sound. So I suppose I'm going to need to raise my durso standpipe up some so that the water can be another inch higher in my overflow. That should solve that problem. Another issue she had was with 4 bulb ATI light fixture fan. Of all the things that is what I can hear the easiest. So obviously I'm going to change that last for dramatic effect.

Unread 08/09/2017, 10:51 AM   #11
WLachnit
Registered Member

I hear you on the noise aspects. It actually bothers me more than it does my wife...go figure. How tough was it to change out the bearings? I have been considering doing that as well to my older MP40s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Wiskey
Registered Member

I hear you on the noise issue! It's a constant thing in my household as well. Many people who hear my tank can't believe how quiet it is, I even laminated sound-proofing material into the stand along with all the normal bean overflow, quiet pumps, foam padding, skimmer muffler etc.

This build is looking great! It always goes faster the second time it's posted subscribed.

Whiskey

Unread 08/09/2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLachnit View Post
I hear you on the noise aspects. It actually bothers me more than it does my wife...go figure. How tough was it to change out the bearings? I have been considering doing that as well to my older MP40s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think it's very straight forward if you have the correct tools. That being said I'm an electrician and grew up on a farm so I'm pretty mechanically inclined. If you read through that thread it should be apparent if you can do it or not. Maybe I'll make a video.

Unread 08/09/2017, 05:10 PM   #14
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
So my wife and I were sitting in the living room watching television and she looks at me and says is that as quiet as that fish tank going to be. I was appalled. Now some of the local guys know I'm not the best of hearing but I can hear my tank and I thought it was very quiet. So I kindly ask her what she thinks needs to be quited down and she came up with quite a list already. I couldn't believe it . But it's a happy wife happy life kind of thing. I'm going to start with replacing all the bearings in my MP40s. I ordered five sets from Boca bearings. I've already done a couple of them with the help of this thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1901337&page=8

I'll probably upgrade to all quiet drive wet sides as the one I've already done that to is significantly quieter and in my opinion has a much better spread out flow pattern.

One of the things she really didn't like was the slight trickling of water sound. So I suppose I'm going to need to raise my durso standpipe up some so that the water can be another inch higher in my overflow. That should solve that problem. Another issue she had was with 4 bulb ATI light fixture fan. Of all the things that is what I can hear the easiest. So obviously I'm going to change that last for dramatic effect.
This is exactly why my tank is in the basement!

Looking great, Pife.
Since your frag tank and display are connected, I'd say prime spots first. I'd say get the good stuff where you want it and work out from there.
Looking forward to this tank!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 07:40 PM   #15
Pife
Registered Member

So I put a couple of acros in! Sorry for the crappy pictures but I don't have much time to get any good ones tonight.

Unread 08/09/2017, 08:06 PM   #16
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yes!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 09:36 PM   #17
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Very impressive and am going to follow the build closely . Amazing footprint of the tank I believe.
Could you share the dimensions ? 12 ATI must produce a ton of PAR .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 06:54 AM   #18
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Very impressive and am going to follow the build closely . Amazing footprint of the tank I believe.
Could you share the dimensions ? 12 ATI must produce a ton of PAR .

Regards,
Abhishek
36 inches by 36 inches by 28 inches tall. You'd be surprised at how little par they actually produce. I try to keep everything in between 300 and 500 par. You will notice that there are higher Parts in my scape for particular corals to get the much higher par that they need to pull the colors out of them. Thank for following along.

Unread 08/10/2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Pife
Registered Member

My view from the couch tonight.

Unread 08/10/2017, 06:41 PM   #20
cFloor
Registered Member

This is looking really good! Your scape is amazing

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 06:43 PM   #21
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Wew looking good!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 06:43 PM   #22
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I wish I lived closer to you Brandon. I would love to buy some of your frags

I will be following your journey. May Reef Gods bless your tank.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 08/10/2017 at 06:48 PM.
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 07:06 PM   #23
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
This is looking really good! Your scape is amazing
Thank you. I can't wait to cover it in coral.

Unread 08/10/2017, 07:07 PM   #24
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Wew looking good!
Thanks Dom.

Unread 08/10/2017, 07:15 PM   #25
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I wish I lived closer to you Brandon. I would love to buy some of your frags

I will be following your journey. May Reef Gods bless your tank.
I don't know exactly where you actually live. When I was in Europe a couple years ago it was difficult for me to find fish stores.

Thanks for following along. I'm looking forward to using reef actif because of you. I hope it can help me match your coral's looks. I've stared at your scape for a long time. It's helped me decide where to place different corals.