Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Float keeps getting stuck why

So I have a float switch in my scrubber bucket and I'm at a loss. I made sure its clear and moves up and down freely but still after a day or so it keeps getting stuck. After a few close calls I installed a small cam so i can monitor the water level and check if float is working or not. Did notice some large pods crawling up around the float shaft can they be the cause?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 08:25 PM   #2
kfisc
Registered Member

Possibly calcium deposit is the culprit; even when mine seem to move ok by hand, it still takes an occasional vinegar soak to clean all the gunk off and work reliably well.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 07:08 AM   #3
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisc View Post
Possibly calcium deposit is the culprit; even when mine seem to move ok by hand, it still takes an occasional vinegar soak to clean all the gunk off and work reliably well.
+1

Or could be salt, food, variety of other things that cause it to stop functioning. Could use a laser level, replace this one or take it in for a good cleaning.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 07:50 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

What kind of float is it? I find that some of the smaller ones can bind quite easily.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Jyetman
Registered Member

I found a way to keep it in motion so salt creep won't form. What I did was lower it to where it slightly goes up and down always in motion. My scrubber pumps are programmed to pulsate to imitate tides. I hope this corrects the issue time will tell.

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 11:04 AM   #6
five.five-six
Registered Member

I had my float get stuck inexplicitly. turns out the magnetic probe holder was hanging it up.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
float sticks, float switch, pods