Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2020, 04:19 PM   #1
sasq40
Registered Member

Help with overflow setup

Long story short, bought a used tank in a dark dungy garage, was told it was like new, only 2 years old, and was foolish and believed them. Got home and in good lighting found it pretty scratched and the bulkheads leaked. Jumped on it quicker then i should have since i have a odd place i want the tank that is 68" wide, so when a 60x24x30 tank showed up i thought it was a sign lol.

Anyways its was setup as fresh water so i was planning on switching some things up anyways. Checked last night and none of the glass is tempered. Found a local tank builder who will change out the front glass cheap and drill some holes and make a overflow box. What is going to be my quietest setup for the tank?

sasq40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

A Bean Animal overflow set up will be best all around.
Check it out here on RC.

Unread 12/01/2020, 09:57 PM   #3
sasq40
Registered Member

im thinking maybe bean overflow in the middle with using 2 of the 4 existing holes for returns? existing holes are 35mm, so should be able to fit 3/4 schedule 40 bulkheads according to brs chart.what size holes should be for the drain lines? i should be able to bottom drill as well for those right?(glass doesn't appear to be tempered on the bottom)

Unread 12/02/2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Use 1" piping for drains. With 3/4" returns you will not be able to run a high flow pump.
I am going to recommend a Varios brand Dc pump, this way you can adjust the flow by pressing a button.

Unread 12/02/2020, 12:20 PM   #5
sasq40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Use 1" piping for drains. With 3/4" returns you will not be able to run a high flow pump.
I am going to recommend a Varios brand Dc pump, this way you can adjust the flow by pressing a button.
I have the ecotech pump sitting in a box I was gonna use on my old tank that crashed. What about using all 4 of the 3/4 returns? Or would it be better just capping those and getting a bigger return?

Unread 12/02/2020, 12:37 PM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Why not? But you can go either way.
Just remember not to decrease the size of the pipe off the pump.

Unread 12/03/2020, 12:03 PM   #7
sasq40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Why not? But you can go either way.
Just remember not to decrease the size of the pipe off the pump.
So even with the 4 3/4s still 1" drains? or would i be better of making new drains, or possibly having the current hole enlarged?

Unread 12/03/2020, 12:41 PM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Depends on what you want for flow.
https://hy-techroofdrains.com/water-...hrough-a-pipe/
Take a look @ the chart above you have a 187 gallon tank.
You would be pumping 4 returns with only 1+ returns on gravity.
I would do the 1 inch.