Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2014, 03:15 AM   #1
c.rob
Registered Member

What fish are in your frag tank ?

What fish do you guys keep in your frag systems ?

Unread 10/02/2014, 01:56 PM   #2
organism
code monkey

Depends on the size, but I've usually kept a coris wrasse in there.

Unread 10/02/2014, 03:08 PM   #3
c.rob
Registered Member

I have a 2' x 2' so I would like at least 2 tiny fish just for the heck of it. Also might help with the overpopulation of amphipods ticking the zoos and LPS off .

Unread 10/10/2014, 10:16 AM   #4
ThreeMoneyJ
Registered Member

A breeding pair of cardinal fish and a non breeding pair of ruby red scooters that I really wish would breed!

Unread 10/10/2014, 05:08 PM   #5
wzevon
Registered Member

I keep a saltwater converted black molly to pick at algae

wzevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 11:48 PM   #6
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzevon View Post
I keep a saltwater converted black molly to pick at algae
That's a really random first post, I've spent the last couple days reading up on how to do acclimate them and was gonna try it out this weekend

Unread 10/10/2014, 11:51 PM   #7
BayouCorals
Registered Member

Don't get a filefish. Once they eat all the aptasia then they start working on other anemones. Duh! I should have seen that one coming. He ate half of my red mini carpet. Luckily those guys are tough and I caught it before he finished it. The anemone recovered and he was removed.

I like urchins in my prop system.

BayouCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2014, 11:27 AM   #8
accordsirh22
Registered Member

i had mollies, but they didnt really seem to be doing much. i might put some damsels in but idk yet. fishless seems to be working fine for now

accordsirh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Halo_003
Registered Member

I don't think I'd put damsels in just because they're so mean and would limit anything else. I don't have a frag tank quite yet but mine will be tiny so no fish for me.

If I had a bigger one I'd go for a yellow coris wrasse, a couple of platinum lyretail mollies, and maybe a couple of other neat little fish like a mandarin.

Halo_003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Pomacanthus1
Premium Member

A LFS keeps Six Line Wrasses in their frag and coral display tubs. They claim they help control coral parasites, particularly pyramidellid snails and flatworms.

Poor little guys were practically trapped under the eggcrate

Pomacanthus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 08:18 PM   #11
NikeLV
Registered Member

if there really are a lot of pods in your frag tank, you should get a mandarin fish!

NikeLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 11:18 PM   #12
Betta132
Registered Member

What about a bluestripe pipefish or two?
Mandarin doesn't seem like the best idea, since there aren't many places for pods to hide. Probably he'd eat them all.

Unread 10/21/2014, 08:52 AM   #13
accordsirh22
Registered Member

lol idk, i have so many pods in my frag system, there's no way a mandy could eat all of them (4 20longs with a 125 sump. the sump is filled to the water line and then some with live rock).

as far as if i add damsels, they would be the only fish, its a frag system, not a display fish tank. whatever fish go in are there for a purpose (eating flatworms or the like) so something like springeri damsels might be an option, although all the ones i have seen have been lazy and never ate them. so maybe a 6 line or something similar. i havent made up my mind yet.

fish free is another good option on the off chance some fish parasite hitches in on a coral and makes it past the dips and such, that way it doesnt have a host and will hopefully die out faster.

accordsirh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 01:31 PM   #14
Mael
Registered Member

most LFS will keep either a sixline or spriners damsel as they both eat parasites, especially flat worms.

In smaller frag tanks they can use something like a tailspot blenny or other combtooth types for algae eating, in large frag system I see them keep small tangs for algae control.

As mentioned above a fish in a frag tank should have a job and not be just for show, in most cases.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 03:47 PM   #15
xnetgeek
Registered Member

for sure don't trust a damsel... I had one that ate so many of my corals. those buggers are not worth it. trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_003 View Post
I don't think I'd put damsels in just because they're so mean and would limit anything else. I don't have a frag tank quite yet but mine will be tiny so no fish for me.

If I had a bigger one I'd go for a yellow coris wrasse, a couple of platinum lyretail mollies, and maybe a couple of other neat little fish like a mandarin.

xnetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2014, 08:30 AM   #16
guserto4
Registered Member

So if damsels are out, and wrasse have a tendency to jump... I'm hearing tangs, Mollie's & blennies and maybe cardinals, just to provide some bio waste. Any other ideas?! This is exactly the thread I was searching for this morning! Thinking of a 72x18x15" frag tank build in the future and immediately wondered what the heck I'd put in there for algae & pest control

Current Tank Info: Under construction: 123g 80x24x16 display & 35g 24x24x16 frag
guserto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 07:12 PM   #17
enchelycore808
Registered Member

Blue stripe pipefish in one. In the 30cube I have a Blackfin chromis. I wanna put 3 of them but they've been kinda hard to find lately.

enchelycore808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2014, 01:52 PM   #18
williewilliams
Registered Member

I have a 60g deepblue frag tank with 2 springeri damsels, a yellow tang, a 2 spot bristletooth tang, a melanarus wrasse, and a fourline wrasse. It is a fun tank to watch. All have jobs and aren't lazy.

Current Tank Info: 3 shallow rimless tanks. 2 full of sps and 1 with zoas/palys.
williewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 04:25 PM   #19
PeterHall
Registered Member

A dragon face pipefish would be cool. Would probably do well in such a large frag tank

PeterHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 06:01 PM   #20
Swip
Registered Member

I've got a kole tang and a sixline in mine. The sixline is just awesome at eating flatworms and other pests.

Swip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2014, 07:10 AM   #21
lars65inc
Registered Member

I'm running a 29g frag tank plumbed into my existing 90 DT. I won't put a tang in the 29g to control algae. The LFS said that a 6 line and a Red lip blenny would be a good add to a small tank like that. Any thoughts on the red lip?

Thanks,
Eric