Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2018, 01:31 PM   #1
biglurr54
Registered Member

McCoskers Wrasse Ich or Velvet

I have a McCoskers wrasse who came down with either Ich or Velvet. I am trying to figure out what it is so I can successfully treat it.
Background;
Then fish was in observation for 25 days. I witnessed a small white pot just above his head. It was gone within 12-24 hours. 4-5 days later the wrasse looked like his skin was rough and he looked off. Then next morning (8hrs later) he was gasping at the bottom of the tank covered in white spots and mucus. (see photo) I immediately pulled him out and placed him into tank 1 of TTM.
The fish is on Tank 3 of TTM and he appears to be in good shape. No white spots or mucus and is breathing normally.
I am planning on completing TTM and then placing him into observation again. If it was ich, it should be eradicated. If its velvet, I would like to begin raising the copper level so that I will be in therapeutic levels sooner rather than later.
Will Velvet come and go? Can the fish immune system fight off the velvet for a time being. Once a fish is fully infected with velvet is there any chance it could rebound?

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 01:33 PM   #2
biglurr54
Registered Member

Photo taken early morning, immediately before being placed on ttm

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Unread 09/18/2018, 06:11 PM   #3
biglurr54
Registered Member

Current condition. Almost looks bacterial at this point.

Unread 09/18/2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Louis Z
Registered Member

I would say they all are susceptible to reinfection of velvet. I think that in a closed system such as aquariums the amyloodinium can multiply in a hurry to overwhelm all the fish . I would lean toward ick because in 9 days that fish would have died if velvet . With velvet I usually see a fish gasping for air at the surface or swimming head on into a current with rapid breathing. until it becomes exhausted . I can’t speak in absolutes because there can always be exceptions or maybe I have become a sith lord

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 08:28 PM   #5
biglurr54
Registered Member

Yea. I am hoping it's just ich. I will place the fish in observation for 2 weeks after ttm and keep the copper ready to go. I doubt moving the fish to a bucket would allow it to overcome velvet in 3 days. But I'm new to this whole treating fish diseases.

Unread 09/18/2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Louis Z
Registered Member

Well you are going to have to get accustomed to it. Everything you have should go into qt and observation first before adding to DT. It will save you headaches , money and grief down the road. It will be good to have meds on hand ahead of new acquisitions. Formalin, praziquantel, metronidazole, copper, chloroquine sulfate , and, mebendazole . I now start to treat for velvet , flukes and ick right away on day 1. I started using seachem’s Paraguard concentrated dosing(instead of formalin) in the bag(only from a LFS) right away in lieu of a FW dip . They go into the first of three HT to begin the TTM. As they go in , I treat with General Cure which is a powdered form of praziquantel and metronidazole. I repeat the general cure 2 to 3 times. Over the 9 days of TTM I have formalin and copper at hand to treat Velvet. The new med I am working to add in to the protocol is mebendazole to treat intestinal worms.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote