Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/18/2019, 12:54 PM   #1
nm1204
Registered Member

new and have questions re: weir

Hi guys

I am going to be converting a 4ft freshwater tank (made of safety glass). It can't be drilled, so I thought the easiest would be to replae the back pane with a piece from float glass with a cutout for the weir, and box.

The measurements I have of the pane are 1195mm long, 661mm high, with a cutout of 739mm, and 30mm high, set in 228mm from each end.

The box for the weir is 967mm long, 130mm high and 70mm wide to accommodate holes for 1x 40mm return and 3x32mm drains.

Could you guys tell me if this is feasible, if there is anything wrong etc.

thank you

nm1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 03:42 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Can it be done? Sure. Would I advise you to do it? Not a chance unless you have built multiple smaller tanks in the past. You will have to completely disassemble the tank, clean all traces of old silicone form the glass on all the pieces, and then, using a proper silicone adhesive, put it all back together. It is far from a simple job.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 04:32 PM   #3
nm1204
Registered Member

thanks. the box and pane will be made by an aquarium manufacturer.

What do you think of my measurements?

I was going to use aquarium silicone sealant. Should I use adhesive instead?

how hard is it to get it to seal?

the taking apart isn't too much of a problem. we took a small fish tank apart and cut the panes, but the glass was so old one pane broke, it wasn't too bad, just frustrating

nm1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 01:34 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

You'll probably get better results using momentive RTV or another silicone of similar makeup. As for your measurements - all I can say is measure twice (or 3 or 4 times) and cut once.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote