Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2012, 05:45 PM   #26
Sheol
Registered Member

Those are Scoly buds, you can see the skeleton/corralite forming in the flesh.
This is pretty darn cool btw. I lost two Scoly's so I will not be trying anymore but I love to see them reproducing for someone!

Sincerely,
Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2012, 07:42 PM   #27
Fishbone
Registered Member

I'm honestly not convinced one way or another. Good or bad I will keep everyone up to speed. I have some baby zoa in my tank that are somewhat similar in size and they look different. I repositioned the scoly so the babies were facing up and for the better part of today the "mother" was puffed up more than normal and covering the babies. I'm concerned they might get choked out. I'm going to move the scoly back to the way I originally had it.

Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 07:25 AM   #28
Fishbone
Registered Member

Here some more pics from today. The larger of the babies is just over an 1/8". I took a couple shoots of my small Zoas baby for comparison. The small Zoa's in the pic are close to the same size.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There appears to be a white skelton at the edges.

Photobucket

Unread 06/04/2012, 08:46 AM   #29
wireefman
reefin chef

in thoes pics they look like zoanthids when closed... if you touch it is there a skeleton forming? that should awnser your question

wireefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 09:25 AM   #30
Fishbone
Registered Member

They look just like zoas when they close up. I don’t want to risk damaging or irritating them by touching. Nothing really good can come out of it beside me finding out what they are quicker. If there is one thing 15 years of reefing has taught me is patience. I’ll just have to wait and see how it plays out. The thing that really makes me think they are Scolies is the lack of an outer skirt. All the zoas i have, which is only four colonies form a small outer skirt at 1/8”

Unread 06/04/2012, 02:42 PM   #31
jkhchris
Registered Member

Closed up they really look like Zoas . The appearance of a sceliton could just be a short skirt/frill around the zoa.

Chris

jkhchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 03:26 PM   #32
strittmatter
Registered Member

here is my 2 mouthed Scolly, But I always assumed it was some sort of split not a baby growing out the side.

strittmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 11:04 PM   #33
oceanarium
Registered Member

Haa those last pics make them look more like Zoa's

Current Tank Info: LED coral farm
oceanarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 03:32 PM   #34
aakinego
Registered Member

Those do look like zoas now.

aakinego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 09:58 AM   #35
Fishbone
Registered Member

They are growing at a pretty good clip, so we will know soon enough. I'm traveling this week and will take some more pics when I get home this weekend

Unread 06/07/2012, 09:21 PM   #36
alpinestar
Registered Member

I have ordered them in before and some have had zoanthids growing in same pattern and others truly sprouting little scolys. Easiest test for me was to gently touch the either with finger or smooth side of scalpel to feel the bone under the flesh. It's very easy to tell the diference in the two. Just try and be gentle as not to irritate or damage it

alpinestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2012, 12:55 PM   #37
Fishbone
Registered Member

Alpinestar-when they grow scoly do they close like Zoas? I just manned up and felt them and I don't feel a skeleton.The big one is now the size of a small zoa and still has no skirt.

Unread 06/11/2012, 12:13 AM   #38
reefling
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strittmatter View Post
here is my 2 mouthed Scolly, But I always assumed it was some sort of split not a baby growing out the side.

when i researched scolys, this is what I came up with for reproduction. that or cut them up like a pizza with a wet bandsaw. as much as I want those to be scoly, they are probably polyps. it is hard to explain the pattern. it would seem as if they should be connected by a mat if they were zoas.

reefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2012, 07:44 AM   #39
elegance coral
They call me EC

Those are not zoo's.

Congrats on the little ones.

I would let them grow out a little more. Until they have a good solid skeleton of their own. Then very gently remove them from the parent coral. They will grow much faster once they are on their own. The trick is to get them off the parent coral and attached to something solid without damaging them.

Good Luck
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 04:02 PM   #40
alpinestar
Registered Member

I can't really say the retract like scolys it's more like they deflate. And I would defiantly remove them once they have reached a decent size like half dime size but I also wasn't afraid to feed a couple pieces of of brine late night either

alpinestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 06:57 PM   #41
Fishbone
Registered Member

I'm going to remove them soon. 80% of the time they are completely covered by the scoly tissue and the growth has stalled. I'd like to take a little piece of the skeleton they are connected to. I was thinking of using some sort of small chisel to remove them . Any other suggestions on removal

Unread 06/12/2012, 07:32 PM   #42
greech
Registered Member

Maybe a dremel to get just underneath them?

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 07:56 PM   #43
oceanarium
Registered Member

Hate to say it but if they are soft to the touch then they are 100% not scoly's. I have grown out baby scoly's from larva settlements on live rocks, the softest touch and you will feel a solid skeletal structure. There is no density to the meat if you feel soft then it is not a stony coral.

Those last few pictures show connective tissue as you would see with zoa, I would agree with ferguson now Zoa's They just look odd because of the tissue from the scoly overhanging.

Current Tank Info: LED coral farm
oceanarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2012, 06:01 PM   #44
Sheol
Registered Member

Hmm,
I guess they must be Zoas, but heck, that one looked like a perfect little mini-scoly.

Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2012, 11:40 AM   #45
faisal629
Coolest Member

so what are they?

60G DT (google Faisal's 60 cube)
40B FT (google Faisal's 40B frag tank)
faisal629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2012, 11:45 AM   #46
Fishbone
Registered Member

I'm 90 percent sure they are not zoa at this point. They are almost the size of small zoa and have no skirt and don't really look like Zoa. They do close just like zoas. I'll try and get some new pics

Unread 07/25/2012, 11:47 AM   #47
faisal629
Coolest Member

I was looking up on how the reproduce and came across an interesting point. do you keep the scoly shaded? if so I read they try to bud off in search of more light :-)

60G DT (google Faisal's 60 cube)
40B FT (google Faisal's 40B frag tank)
faisal629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2012, 03:35 PM   #48
Fishbone
Registered Member

I only had this piece for about a month before I noticed the buds. Its getting about 50 par so low light but not shaded. I don't feel a skelton so they may not be scolies, but I don't think they are zoas either.

Unread 08/03/2012, 08:28 PM   #49
Fishbone
Registered Member

Just wanted to give a quick update. I am becoming more convinced by the week that they are not Zoa's. They now almost a 1/4" and don't look like any zoa i have ever seen. Been reefing for 15 years. The babies stay very close to the base and don't project outwards like a Zoa...just a disc no stump. They are in very low light so most zoa would stretch to capture more light. In addition there is no skirt. I would be shocked at this point if they are Zoas.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb396/Jim23439/?action=view&current=IMG_4254.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

Unread 08/03/2012, 09:30 PM   #50
greech
Registered Member

I got dibs on the one on the left ! Definitely can start to see some structure. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote