Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2020, 11:55 AM   #1501
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A quick photo experiment. I've noticed that my full tank width pics never look focused enough. I tried holding my phone on the back of a chair to help with camera jiggle. I also tried bumping up the resolution from 72 to 150dpi. Lets see how it looks:

This is the previous full tank shot.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2020, 11:59 AM   #1502
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The pics a bit large and focus looks no better. I'll keep trying!

Unread 09/23/2020, 12:35 PM   #1503
ThePurple12
Registered Member

That top one seems to look a lot better, maybe just because it's zoomed in and you can see more detail.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2020, 12:42 PM   #1504
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks ThePurple12. I agree it looks better. I just want a tighter focus. Oddly, my pics always look better on my computer, then when I upload them they don't look as good on RC.

Unread 09/23/2020, 12:58 PM   #1505
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Just go by what looks better to you, we'll never know.

Unread 09/23/2020, 01:01 PM   #1506
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's true, Vinny! I'd just like to present better pics to RC, if I can. I just thought of one more thing I can do; turn off the wave box, so the grasses aren't moving.

Unread 09/23/2020, 06:33 PM   #1507
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

If You're happy we are happy too.

Unread 09/23/2020, 06:43 PM   #1508
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

7 inches wide at 150dpi

6 inches wide at 150dpi

Unread 09/23/2020, 06:51 PM   #1509
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I don't think raising the resolution to 150 helps at all. My guess is the web site's rez is fixed at 72 dpi. When I compare the images in my software v same image on RC, it looks blurrier. I'll take a look in the photography section.

Unread 09/23/2020, 09:02 PM   #1510
radiata
Registered Member

Ulva Intestinalis Availability?

Anyone have a lead for a source for Ulva Intestinalis (a.k.a. Enteromorpha Intestinalis) that currently actually has it available?

RUSALTY has been out for a while now.

Addictive Reef Keeping is out of stock.

The only other source I've found is Gulf of Maine. Their 50 degree temperature may be a killer, but I've ordered some from them anyway. (If someone in the UK can successfully use their local Intestinalis in an algae scrubber, maybe I can too...)

I've searched, but have found no other sources that currently have it available.

If you're currently growing it in a scrubber, please make me an offer I can't refuse!

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2020, 10:38 PM   #1511
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Have you checked https://gulfspecimen.org? Pretty sure I've seen it there. Good luck.

Unread 09/23/2020, 10:48 PM   #1512
radiata
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Have you checked https://gulfspecimen.org? Pretty sure I've seen it there. Good luck.
The closest they come is ENTEROMORPHA FLEXULOSA, which I may get if I can't find my preferred macro.

But, thanks for the reply...

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2020, 10:49 PM   #1513
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The Allen's Damsels dance among the seagrass.

Unread 09/23/2020, 11:08 PM   #1514
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well bummer, radiata, I thought that was the same plant. Scrubber users may be your best bet. As we get into winter, online venders run even lower in stock.

Unread 09/24/2020, 10:52 AM   #1515
vlangel
Registered Member

I am thinking the same thing about RC not having as high a resolution. Your pics looks very nice however and the tank is really maturing beautifully. I love the damsels as they really give that punch of color.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2020, 02:10 PM   #1516
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. I agree. I just don't understand how the photo quality degrades from my computer to RC. I've got more reading to do in the photography section, so hopefully something turns up.

It really boils down to two issues. The quality downgrade when uploaded to RC, and my inability to get a tight focus from around 5-6 feet from the tank. This could be a shortcoming of my phone's camera, but I have gotten pics with excellent focus before.

Thanks for the compliments! I was pretty relieved to find everything doing so well, once I could see it. I love the damsels too. They are precious, living jewels, that are even more cherished, given the quarantine struggle I went through with them.

Unread 09/24/2020, 04:06 PM   #1517
vlangel
Registered Member

Your damsels inspire me to add some to my tank. I think yellow tail damsels would be perfect for my tank. I plan to wait till my lfs gets them and then I will let them do the QT.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 09/30/2020, 06:57 PM   #1518
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

My LFS had a large school of those in a 180. It was dazzling! Those are supposed to be pretty mellow for damsels. I have no experience with them. I hope they're not too mean for your peaceful group. If things go south, you could banish them to the refugium. Good to have a Plan B just in case.

Unread 10/01/2020, 04:40 AM   #1519
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
My LFS had a large school of those in a 180. It was dazzling! Those are supposed to be pretty mellow for damsels. I have no experience with them. I hope they're not too mean for your peaceful group. If things go south, you could banish them to the refugium. Good to have a Plan B just in case.
My thoughts exactly! I have had yellow tails before and they are the mellowist of the damsels I have kept. Another aspect in my favor is that the fish that I have, have been in the tank quite awhile and have the edge as far as home turf. Plus my current fish hang closer to the rockwork and are not as open water swimmers with the exception of the 2 pajama cardinals. Their size alone will protect them.

And like you said, if they go rogue they will be exiled to the fuge to live among the shrimp and seagrass.

Unread 10/02/2020, 07:25 AM   #1520
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
My thoughts exactly! I have had yellow tails before and they are the mellowist of the damsels I have kept. Another aspect in my favor is that the fish that I have, have been in the tank quite awhile and have the edge as far as home turf. Plus my current fish hang closer to the rockwork and are not as open water swimmers with the exception of the 2 pajama cardinals. Their size alone will protect them.

And like you said, if they go rogue they will be exiled to the fuge to live among the shrimp and seagrass.
Secret about the yellow-tails (or Azures) is that you really need to put them in at the same time... or in Groups. I ended up with a situation where I had to put 2 into my 300 gallon where there were already 2 established Azures. One got beaten to death (I thought) and the other got beaten up but ended up fine. I nursed the other one back to health and put him in again. Same story... beaten to death?? No, but again had to nurse it back to health. Didn't even try to put him in again. Instead, I put him in the lagoon and that's where he'll stay. I would probably have to try and add 6 or so if I wanted them all to survive as each of those 3 damsels (and a half black) have carved out very specific territories in the tank. The half black even bites and tools or hands that I put in the tank. Thankfully it's tiny but still... not what I expected at all!! They are WAY more polite than the usual a$$hole damsels (domino, 3/4 stripe, etc.) but I am still surprised. The Talbotts is definitely the nicest one and picks on nothing. Even the chromis I have will chase other fish bigger than it once in a while. In short (or is it?), even the nice damsels have a mean streak if the aquarist does not take the proper precautions or just gets unlucky. :0) But I really do like having them in the tank, the situation is stable, and they are really pretty.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2020, 01:32 PM   #1521
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Secret about the yellow-tails (or Azures) is that you really need to put them in at the same time... or in Groups. I ended up with a situation where I had to put 2 into my 300 gallon where there were already 2 established Azures. One got beaten to death (I thought) and the other got beaten up but ended up fine. I nursed the other one back to health and put him in again. Same story... beaten to death?? No, but again had to nurse it back to health. Didn't even try to put him in again. Instead, I put him in the lagoon and that's where he'll stay. I would probably have to try and add 6 or so if I wanted them all to survive as each of those 3 damsels (and a half black) have carved out very specific territories in the tank. The half black even bites and tools or hands that I put in the tank. Thankfully it's tiny but still... not what I expected at all!! They are WAY more polite than the usual a$$hole damsels (domino, 3/4 stripe, etc.) but I am still surprised. The Talbotts is definitely the nicest one and picks on nothing. Even the chromis I have will chase other fish bigger than it once in a while. In short (or is it?), even the nice damsels have a mean streak if the aquarist does not take the proper precautions or just gets unlucky. :0) But I really do like having them in the tank, the situation is stable, and they are really pretty.
Today I visited a LFS and they had 6 yellow tail damsels. These are the damsels with a neon blue body and only the tail is yellow. They were all in the same tank so I bought them all. They had been at the LFS for 3 weeks so I am acclimating them in the first chamber of the sump, rather than a QT. I hope that decision does not haunt me later. I will keep them there a week or so and then move them all together into the display tank.

Unread 10/06/2020, 11:23 PM   #1522
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sadly, the sponges didn't make it. The package was damaged in shipping. No worries. I added them anyway. You never know, some cells could have survived and they could pop up somewhere down the line. It happens.

Unread 10/07/2020, 10:22 AM   #1523
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sadly, the sponges didn't make it. The package was damaged in shipping. No worries. I added them anyway. You never know, some cells could have survived and they could pop up somewhere down the line. It happens.
Bummer, I should not have sent both of them but I wanted you to have as much as possible. I will send some more if none of those revive. It may take 3 months or so before I have another big piece but I will get you some sponge one way or another.

Unread 10/07/2020, 10:54 AM   #1524
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's OK, Dawn. You held up your end of the bargain. We're square. Nothing more to do.

Unread 10/07/2020, 02:11 PM   #1525
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
It's OK, Dawn. You held up your end of the bargain. We're square. Nothing more to do.
No way, I am determined that you will get some of this purple sponge. It's tough stuff and it would not surprise me if it is resurrected. However, if it does not I know where you live and I will be sending more, LOL!

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass