Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2019, 07:07 AM   #1
OrionN
Moved on

WC A. percula

I am getting more and more discriminated regarding the shape of my A. percula. Unable to find nice shape CB Percula, especially those with deformed free body, mouth and normal size pelvic fins, I have turn to trying to get WC Percula.

It is really hard to find WC Percula here in South Texas. I am sure if I was able to hunt around in one of Texas large city like Austin, Houston, Dallas or San Antonio I would not have problem finding them, but these cities are 3-8 hrs away.
Finally I was able to order 2 WC Percula from Aquatic Collections in Hayward CA. I am very happy with this pair. I think they are from PNG but not sure. Here are a few pictures of my new pair. Still young and not settle to Male/Female yet, but will given a little time. They are healing from capture and transport. Just eating frozen right now and is healing from wounds and torn fins, as you can see from pictures below. One with brighter orange than the other, and one with 1/3 of his L pelvic fin bitten off. Still he is healing and it is growing back out with the black border. New fins growth are clear then turn black before seemingly turn orange.
I am quite happy with this pair.

In the same shipment, I got a small very bright green Haddoni. I am happy with this Haddoni. So far none of the three animals require treatment. The clowns have nothing to do with the Haddoni, or the Malu in the same tank. I will get a nice Gigantea or Magnifica for them later. I certainly have enough of these anemones.

Smaller and less Orange of the two

Larger, more orange and with 1/3 of his L pelvic fin bite off, regrowing with black border

Both together

Green Haddoni. I don't know why the call these Metalic Green Haddoni. A better description would be Neon Green Haddoni. Reading ThRoewer thread on all the carpets he bought, I am really envious of all of you guys living in CA. Still, I an happy with my purchase this time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WCPercula2019050501resized.jpg (30.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg WCPercula2019050502resized.jpg (54.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg WCPercula2019050503resized.jpg (58.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg GreenHaddoni2019050401resized.jpg (72.2 KB, 64 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2019, 03:13 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I saw them when they were at AC. One of the clowns was actually quite sick and Carson had to treat it with formalin.
They look almost precisely like my Irian Jaya pair (I got those also from AC.)
Here a video of them from 2017, a few months after I got them:

They got kind of sick (extremely heavy breathing, but without any other external symptoms) right after I got them, but a dose of Septra got them back to normal.
I think these guys will get the new purple gig once stabilized, while the blue one goes to my Onyx Solomon pair (they lost their purple one in the move).

Getting wild percula, or wild anemonefish in general, is not as easy as it was here before. Especially Baja Reef having to close down because their lease was up and Steve couldn't find a suitable warehouse to rent, made it much harder. Steve regularly got shipments in from the Solomons (percula, "clarkii", "crysopterus", "sandaracinos", Solomon Maroons, even a few leucocranos) and the Philippines (ocellaris, "clarkii",...).
I picked two of my pairs out of one of his last Solomon shipments. Had I know that there wouldn't be any more, I might have gotten a few more even though my tank space was already severely limited.
But I miss most the possibility to get healthy, hand caught blue-spot jawfish Steve was collecting himself down in Baja. He had hundreds at a time and picking pairs should have been fairly easy.
Another store that sometimes got Solomon Percula was Aquarium Concepts, but they burned down due to an electrical fire. After that their insurance went up so much that they had to go out of business.
The only store that still gets Solomon percula with some regularity around here is Neptune Aquatics, but you would need to get them quickly before they get sick...

I think the best place for getting wild clowns these days is SoCal...

BTW, he haddoni was nice but a bit too pricey for my taste - they are quite easy to find here, tan and regular green ones even at Petco (just for $39!).

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote