Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2018, 01:35 PM   #1
skene
Registered Member

Scratches on inside glass panels, safety?

I have a 4' long x 35" tall 3/4" tempered glass aquarium that has several scratches on the inside panel and one scratch on the outside panel (near top, ~3") Tank is 3/4" all around with double glass eurobrace / center brace.

Some of the inside scratches are 8 ~ 10" long horizontal, some are 4 - 5" vertical and I can feel it with my fingernail but not deep enough to catch a razor blade. They all seem very feint and not too deep but definitely noticeable at right angles and catch my fingernail. I found multiple scratch marks such as this throughout front and side panel.

I only use soft padding (magic eraser) with magnet cleaner and a bit baffled as to how these scratches occurred, unless they were previously there before it was filled? Tank was a custom new.

Should I be concerned about safety and strength of the panel? Especially concerned since I read that scratches on tempered glass can be more dangerous?

skene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Diana A
Registered Member

From your description the glass is fine.

Unread 11/07/2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

The tank will be fine. I have a 125g that I use as a QT and there are scratches all over it

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 03:10 PM   #4
skene
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
The tank will be fine. I have a 125g that I use as a QT and there are scratches all over it
Does it make a difference that it's a tempered panel?

skene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skene View Post
Does it make a difference that it's a tempered panel?
Just so you don't try and drill any holes in it, it shouldn't matter. If you're really worried about it take it outside and fill it up to the top and see if it holds water

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote