Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2018, 06:53 AM   #451
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
If I was a kent scraper... where would I hide?

If I was a missing tool, I’d probably be hiding on top of the aquarium hood. I can disappear there for weeks at a time just waiting to jump on someone’s head during maintenance.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 07:42 AM   #452
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
If I was a kent scraper... where would I hide?
I've got so many of these now that I can't figure out what to do with them all. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 12:00 AM   #453
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
If I was a missing tool, I’d probably be hiding on top of the aquarium hood. I can disappear there for weeks at a time just waiting to jump on someone’s head during maintenance.
If I was a short kent scraper, this is exactly where I would be (and where I was). However, if I was a long kent scraper, I'd hide that much better so someone has to go armpit deep to clean the sand bed. They still haven't found me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I've got so many of these now that I can't figure out what to do with them all. :0)
Same here, but I only have one that is the proper length for the 600... it's very elusive.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 08/23/2018 at 12:10 AM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 12:22 AM   #454
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Updates

I spent some time in Europe, sorry for the AFK. Things are doing well for the most part. Here is what I have done since getting back. I need to clean some stuff up and take some pics. Words are boring...

-Fixed the stream so hopefully it isn't laggy anymore.

-Had a leaky seal on my skimmer pump, replaced it with a freshly rebuilt Barracuda. I used the high end US Seals seal kit.

-I started dosing Chloroquine Phosphate into the display again, the last round wasn't successful, I am not sure I was able to get the dose right. This time I am dosing to 40mg/gal over a 5 day period and then dosing daily for the next 25 days to try for a 60mg/gal dose. I am working on getting access to the required test equipment to measure the actual dose in the display. This is a bummer but it is what it is. I need to get this dealt with so I can work on water quality and move my sps corals over, they're about to outgrow the tank they are in... getting crazy growth.

-Found the right bags that fit my sump after months of looking. They have plastic internal rings. I bought a box of 25.

-Have improved the ATO setup in the BTA system, it is finally hands free.

-I have made a mess.

-Since adding the whole house filter that funky algae/dinos issue I was dealing with in my sunburst tank has started to dissipate.

-I got my Tesla Model 3.

-Am working on connecting the coral QT upstairs in the living room converted to a hands free ATO. This is currently the only bucket I currently carry. No more buckets schlepping .

Unread 08/24/2018, 06:48 AM   #455
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
-I have made a mess.

-I got my Tesla Model 3.
Pics or it didn't happen. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 10:42 AM   #456
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Pics or it didn't happen. :0)

I try to avoid pictures of messes but...

Here's the 3. Amazing car! I haven't put fuel in my jeep in a month, it's sitting empty, and alone in the driveway.

Unread 08/24/2018, 01:22 PM   #457
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Quote:
I try to avoid pictures of messes but...

Here's the 3. Amazing car! I haven't put fuel in my jeep in a month, it's sitting empty, and alone in the driveway.
[IMG][/IMG]
Fantastic car, congratulations! If you need a detailer, let me know!

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube
whyamisofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 02:10 PM   #458
halmus
Registered Member

I second that! Fantastic car! If you need someone to put some miles on it, let me know.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 02:23 PM   #459
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Quote:

I'll be using Momentive RTV103. This is a strong black silicone adhesive. If you haven't ever used it before it is thick and skins over quickly so you need to work fast.

Stupid question, does this sealant smell like Vinegar like every other sealant out there?

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 02:52 PM   #460
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
Stupid question, does this sealant smell like Vinegar like every other sealant out there?
Yes, it's an acidic acid cure process so it smells like vinegar. It's pretty strong. AFAIK all reef safe silicone will have the vinegar smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyamisofly View Post
Fantastic car, congratulations! If you need a detailer, let me know!
We love it! Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
I second that! Fantastic car! If you need someone to put some miles on it, let me know.

Thanks , if you want to run it through its paces the wife and I could swing by to hang out for a bit sometime soon, check out what crazyness you've been up to

Unread 08/24/2018, 04:18 PM   #461
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Tesla makes some great cars!! The 3 looks really good.

I have to upload the video I made of the 0-60 time in the model X. After driving the tesla, it was hard to drive anything else....

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 05:15 PM   #462
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
Tesla makes some great cars!! The 3 looks really good.

I have to upload the video I made of the 0-60 time in the model X. After driving the tesla, it was hard to drive anything else....
Right? My wife's Subaru feels like a slug, my '13 Grand Cherokee feels like a bus, I haven't driven the Integra recently (getting head work) but it's a different kind of fast than the Tesla (it will spank the Tesla). The Tesla is a ridiculously smooth application of power and the Integra is the exact opposite. There is something about the weight distribution that makes the Tesla feel so planted even though it's a sedan. I'm in love man, if I didn't need a larger vehicle I would have punted the Jeep and gotten the P3D. All this anti Tesla stuff is nonsense, lots of money being pumped into misinformation by the shorts. They're going to lose their pants.

Unread 08/24/2018, 08:54 PM   #463
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
All this anti Tesla stuff is nonsense, lots of money being pumped into misinformation by the shorts. They're going to lose their pants.
My take on that is the big manufacturers see that Tesla isn't a fly by night company, they finally see them as a threat and they're going to allocate resources to bring them down.

It's not like they don't have an opportunity to manufacturer a full electric, they just can't see past the initial expense and I'm sure there's a lot of politics involved (but lets not digress to that). Most car manufacturers are just keeping with "business as usual". The writing has been on the wall for a long time and they refused to do anything about it.

There's still a need for internal combustion engines for the foreseeable future, and they're not going down without a fight, but in my mind it's a losing battle. Hopefully other car manufacturers get on board and start investing heavily in R&D or else they're going to be left behind.

I can go on and on, but I hate that I derailed your 600g build thread... hehe, seems like there's a lull in tank builds at the moment anyway....

Dishes are done man!

Unread 10/31/2018, 12:17 AM   #464
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Spent a little time this week re-organizing my peristaltic pump shelf. I have several additional console drives that need to be added as time progresses. Next step will be a drip tray that goes to a drain in case of a tubing rupture.

Unread 11/01/2018, 06:19 PM   #465
Sisterlimonpot

Looks very organized. Did I miss it? what type of parastaltic pumps are those?

Dishes are done man!

Unread 11/01/2018, 10:41 PM   #466
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks very organized. Did I miss it? what type of parastaltic pumps are those?
Thanks!

They're Cole-Parmer Masterflex L/S peristaltic pumps. This is medical/laboratory grade hardware so unfortunately they can come with sticker shock. You can usually find good used hardware at surplus shops or ebay.

The small square drives are Fixed-Speed Drives, Model# 07540-20. I use these exclusively for auto top off systems. They last 10-15+ years. You can get them in many rpm ranges and vary the tubing size to give almost any flow range. My oldest one of these I've had running about 10 years and I got it out of a trash can because the person thought it was the end of it's life. It's probably 20 years old, I've just recently retired it for normal use but will keep it for a rainy day.

The large console drive is a 0-100RPM Brushless Digital Drive. I use these for Calcium Reactors or Auto Water Change Systems. They're continuous duty and can last 10-15+ years without ever turning off. This one currently has two heads mounted on it and is changing 10 gallons a week out of my coral/sunburst tank.

The small clear heads are Standard LS17 Pump Heads w/Stainless Rollers.

The large black heads are Easy-Load Pump Heads w/Stainless Rollers

I'm using LS17 Pharmed BPT tubing which is rated at more than 10,000 hours.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 11/01/2018 at 11:04 PM.
Unread 11/02/2018, 06:43 PM   #467
Sisterlimonpot

Wow!! You're not kidding about sticker price! I like the idea that you can get it and not have to ever worry about it failing.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 11/02/2018, 07:51 PM   #468
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow!! You're not kidding about sticker price! I like the idea that you can get it and not have to ever worry about it failing.
Yeah, you really need to be patient not to get taken to the cleaners

I've had one of the console drives die after 12 years... still trying to find the part. It' sucks when they croak. If you want one I can always help you try to find a good one. Just lmk.

Unread 11/03/2018, 05:17 PM   #469
tkeracer619
Registered Member

BigBlueTang came over today to help me with the new fish QT setups. When I purchased them it was rainy and cold so I couldn't get them painted. Funny thing is when he got here and we got the tanks outside... it started raining and snowing

So we moved into the garage to put two layers of black paint on the tanks. Thanks dude!

We masked off the viewing panels and butted the two viewing panels together in the middle of the garage. One light coat followed by a thicker coat 45 minutes later. We used Rustolium 2x gloss black.

These tanks are not easy to get in their home but they fit and look nice when in place. I had bad luck with my last setups, mainly because I was unable to effectively clean them. This go around they are both new 75gal glass tanks. Each will have a canister filter located at the bottom of the rack for easy maintenance, a powerhead, heater, heater controller, the same LED lights the last setup used, and a bunch of PVC pipes. Once fully medicated and in observation mode they will feature an AWC system and HOB carbon filter to keep water quality at its best.

Back in place, ready to be cleaned, and filled with water!

Unread 11/13/2018, 10:53 PM   #470
tkeracer619
Registered Member

So... my last attempt at treating crypto in the system with Chloroquine phosphate also failed. I purchased the equipment necessary to measure CP in saltwater and figured out why it wasn't working. The more I dosed the faster it degraded. It appears bacteria was metabolizing the drug and populating faster than I could dose. I abandoned the attempt and started hypo.

That was a little over 2 months ago... As of this past thursday all fish were spot free for over 30 days. I switched over from topping up with RODI to New SW. I knew it was going to take a while to raise salinity with top off, turns out a while is 87 days . I need to dump about 9 bags of salt in to bring it back in line. So about a bag a day. I'm thinking about moving my midnight clowns from my frag tank to an overflow. That way I can mix the salt in the frag tank for a while before adding it to the tank. Otherwise this is going to take a LOT of individual buckets.

Edit: Yup, that was the solution. Added a pair of MP40s, moved the clowns to the display's overflow box (they're like 15 gallons each), turned off the flat's vectra, and added a bag of salt. I'll let it mix until I head to bed then crank the vectra back up.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 11/13/2018 at 11:35 PM.
Unread 11/14/2018, 02:03 PM   #471
Sisterlimonpot

I did whole tank hypo once, that was the best decision I ever made! None of the fish ever had a problem with disease, parasites etc. And raising the salinity wasn't that bad. I wasn't in a hurry to fill the tank with corals which gave the fish ample time to acclimate to their surroundings.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 11/15/2018, 01:06 AM   #472
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
I did whole tank hypo once, that was the best decision I ever made! None of the fish ever had a problem with disease, parasites etc. And raising the salinity wasn't that bad. I wasn't in a hurry to fill the tank with corals which gave the fish ample time to acclimate to their surroundings.
Yeah, so far so good. I'm just hoping I'm past the crypto... I also was feeding metroplex medicated food for the 30 day hypo in an effort to further impact the crypto.

It's not that I am in a hurry to add coral, that would be silly at this point. That said... My coral tank isn't going to hold in there forever. The growth is rapid at this point and I am quickly running out of space and constantly dealing with snails pushing stuff into each other. I would love to transfer most of these corals to 4" tiles and set this tank up solely for Sunburst nems like it was intended.

Unread 11/20/2018, 10:10 PM   #473
biecacka
Registered Member

Yeah the Tesla is a great car. No doubt about that at all.
Oh yeah, the set up is looking goood too

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 12:58 AM   #474
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Yeah the Tesla is a great car. No doubt about that at all.
Oh yeah, the set up is looking goood too

Corey
Thanks!

Tank is back up to 1.025. I'm going to let it sit for a few days, do some testing/correcting, and then going to add a coral to see what happens.

Unread 11/22/2018, 07:47 PM   #475
biecacka
Registered Member

Sounds like a great plan

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote