Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2018, 03:36 PM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

Sump for 340 Gallon Display

I've got my 340 gallon display fully functional now with lights, rock, sand, and lots of plumbing completed to my 75 gallon sump. (Just a drilled 75 glass aquarium with dividers.)

However, I suspect my 75 may have a small leak. I'm looking for a 75g or larger tank to use for a sump. Preferably presetup for a sump.

Any suggestions for a replacement sump. Everything I find that's 75 or larger is ridiculously expensive. I've thought about drilling out 5-6 rubber made tubs and plumbing them all together. One tub be the skimmer section, then a 1.5" Pipe to another tub that's a refugium, and then another one that's the return chamber. Plumbing and tubs probably $150 and have over 60 gallon water volume between all the tubs.

Not sure if that's realistic or not, but, I can't believe the prices on sumps or just a glass aquarium. Does anyone have lower cost sump design that works just as good if not better than a glass aquarium for a sump? Or any companies selling sump designs from other materials that are out of the ordinary? I don't need it to be glass, in fact, I'd prefer it be lighter weight that I can move by myself when empty...

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 08:49 AM   #2
McPuff
Registered Member

That seems like a lot of work. Just get a 100 gal rubbermaid trough. Cheap, easy, durable.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 08:51 AM   #3
sde1500
Registered Member

Maybe a diy one out of acrylic? You put this under the tank?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 10:22 AM   #4
travis32
Registered Member

yeah, I found the 100 and 150 gallon Rubbermade foam stock tanks on amazon. I think I'll use that at some point and replace the 75 with that. More water volume and just an all around better solution. I can do a 100 gallon water change if I want and not worry having to drain the display at all.

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote