Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2018, 08:16 AM   #501
MrsReefK
Registered Member

We are still dealing with a “cloudy” DT. All other tanks attached are clear as can be, gorgeous really.

I’m wondering if this is sand related? It’s to the point that I’ve thrown the idea around to suck all of the sand out and replace with a more coarse sand. Concerns? Advice on removal and introducing new? We have a diamond goby, I’d like sand small enough he can still process, but not so fine that it blows around. (Even though I don’t see any actual sand being picked up by the current, currently).

I will be really frustrated if this doesn’t help to clear things up, but it has to be the root of it! It’s not air bubble, it’s small particulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 07:29 PM   #502
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Pretty excited, got a Walt Disney acro frag last night. WD is already encrusting, can’t wait for this puppy to grow a bit and color up! Also picked up a WWC yellow tip RR Aussie Gold #1.

Clean up crew arrives Friday. Need to restock the DT and the frag tank. Both are prettttty bare and needing a replenish.

Unread 03/01/2018, 02:44 PM   #503
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Adding T5's was one of the best things I've done to my tank. I love the look, extra PAR and lack of shadow issues.
Iced, what happened to your build thread??????

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 08:59 PM   #504
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Pretty excited, got a Walt Disney acro frag last night. WD is already encrusting, can’t wait for this puppy to grow a bit and color up! Also picked up a WWC yellow tip RR Aussie Gold #1.

Clean up crew arrives Friday. Need to restock the DT and the frag tank. Both are prettttty bare and needing a replenish.

Can't wait to see photos of all your new sticks growing and coloring up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Iced, what happened to your build thread??????
Just a misunderstanding on my part

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 04:01 PM   #505
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Some new shots, and some new frags that got added to the frag tank today!

Still haven’t tried to master the camera shots yet, just cell phone pics that love to emphasize the blues...

Have some hair algae and other algae going, figured out our RO has been running at 14 TDS... that’s looking to be the root of the problem. Replenished the clean up crew - New resin and new everything in the 6 RO canisters, should solve the problem here soon!

We’re working to get the birdsnests out and more higher end in. About 10-13 New mid to high end frags went into the frag tank over the last couple weeks. Excited to get these big birdsnest out.

Wet thumbs copper Millie and a Jason fox Tierra del Fuego plusTwo Aussie Millie’s that I need to look at the name of again.

Last edited by MrsReefK; 03/05/2018 at 02:56 AM.
Unread 03/04/2018, 07:21 PM   #506
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Both blue Linkias are doing good - knock on wood! Neat shot from today, minus the blue lights of course, haha.

Unread 08/02/2018, 10:43 AM   #507
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Growing in nicely!

Unread 08/04/2018, 01:08 PM   #508
hawaiianwargod
Registered Member

Awesome tank. I love the growth and the coral placements.

[E] levated
[L] evel
[O] f
[S] weetness

Current Tank Info: 210+ - "G" Elos 160XL [~]
hawaiianwargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 03:42 PM   #509
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Little better pic

Unread 08/24/2018, 03:58 PM   #510
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

very beautiful. I always enjoy reading up on your tank.

Unread 09/06/2018, 05:59 PM   #511
MrsReefK
Registered Member

New phone = better pics!

Unread 09/06/2018, 07:03 PM   #512
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
In addition to the nori clip update, here’s one years progress. Sorry for the blues, but you get the idea. One years growth! Everything grown from 1-2” frags!

Wow... Jan to now. The calc reactor made a big difference this year! Now pic below.

Unread 09/07/2018, 10:47 AM   #513
McPuff
Registered Member

Dang, that's some growth!!

I love the jawfish!! Do you have to target feed it?

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2018, 08:56 PM   #514
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Dang, that's some growth!!

I love the jawfish!! Do you have to target feed it?

Thanks!! The growth has been substantial. I’m excited to see what the next year brings for sure.

Never have spot fed! I want some more, probably 3-5 more of them. With my travels I am not home to QT, hoping travel will slow down a bit this winter so that I can successfully TTM and QT the next round of additions.

Unread 09/07/2018, 10:14 PM   #515
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Wow, I just spent the last couple of hours reading this thread. Thanks for sharing your journey as I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to updates.

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2018, 08:19 AM   #516
Wandering
Registered Member

How did you deal with the introduction of tangs? I am starting a large tank soon, and am concerned that I will just get ich and lose them. Did you quarantine? Or just add healthy looking specimens and keep everyone well fed?

Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2018, 01:50 PM   #517
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9iron View Post
Wow, I just spent the last couple of hours reading this thread. Thanks for sharing your journey as I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to updates.

Thank you! I haven’t been posting as much, but will try to be better.

M1 pump went out - the one they replaced a couple months back. Thankfully the slimmer pump again, so just running skimmer less.

Unread 09/09/2018, 01:55 PM   #518
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
How did you deal with the introduction of tangs? I am starting a large tank soon, and am concerned that I will just get ich and lose them. Did you quarantine? Or just add healthy looking specimens and keep everyone well fed?

Good question! It was a journey with the tangs being the powder brown was already established in the tank.

I run a very strict QT, nothing hits our system without a tank transfer method (TTM) and 76 days of holding in QT. They also get a freshwater dip as well.

With introducing, it was a rough few months. I printed out full 8x11 pictures of a sail fin tang (with his fin up) and taped about 10 of them to the outside of the tank. That is what worked best for us. I tried the mirror method originally and that didn’t make as much of an impact. Left the pictures up for about a month, and then took them down one at a time over a couple weeks. It took about 8 months before everyone was truly swimming freely and not showing aggression. One piece - ours are all almost identical size, that was key when I was picking them out. So I had to go to Lfs versus online like I usually buy.

Good luck!

Unread 09/10/2018, 06:08 AM   #519
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks!! The growth has been substantial. I’m excited to see what the next year brings for sure.

Never have spot fed! I want some more, probably 3-5 more of them. With my travels I am not home to QT, hoping travel will slow down a bit this winter so that I can successfully TTM and QT the next round of additions.

What did you provide for cover for the jawfish during TTM and QT? I assume some smaller pvc? And a tight fitting lid!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 07:00 AM   #520
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
What did you provide for cover for the jawfish during TTM and QT? I assume some smaller pvc? And a tight fitting lid!

Yes! Tight lid, and then I have 2 different sizes of pvc, plus I added a bowl of sand that I changed out during each transfer. This guy never touched the sand though, probably won’t go through that this next round.

Unread 11/15/2018, 07:58 PM   #521
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

One year growth comparison, 1 year ago on top, today on bottom. I know I know - blues! But you get the idea. Someday I’ll get around to taking some better pics for you all.

Everything has been fragged at least 6-7 times. Just increased light intensity and flow a few weeks back, seeing the impact already!