Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2009, 01:45 AM   #26
Newby-Reefer
Registered Member

Man this thing is going to be EPIC. Tagging along.

I have always wanted to go to Germany and watch the testing the DKV does with their Duetsch Kurzhaars.

Unread 10/20/2009, 01:53 AM   #27
strout
Registered Member

Nice tank and apartment. Tagging along to see how your tank turns out.

strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2009, 03:44 AM   #28
leslie hempel
Registered Member

cant wait to see more of this one..

leslie hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2009, 02:50 PM   #29
ourmanflint
Registered Member

I do love peninsula tanks, such a waste to have them squashed up against a wall. Nice dimensions too.

ourmanflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2009, 08:25 PM   #30
N-A-S-O
Registered Member

Looking good

Current Tank Info: 110g sps
N-A-S-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 05:21 AM   #31
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

No new pictures at the moment, I am extremely busy at work, have to travel a lot. Hardly spend any time at home at all. The ceramic decoration is in the making, will visit Korallenwelt some time this week to see the parts before they go into the furnace. In case I want any changes they can still do it at this stage. The decoration will be rather minimalistic, the side with the overflows will be entirely covered by a custom-fit ceramics backplate, the only other piece will be one reef in the center with large overhangs. That leaves lots of open space for the fishes to swim.
I'll post new pics as soon as there will be something to report

Jens

Jens Kallmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 05:03 AM   #32
adddo
“Goodnight, tiny humans.”

How was Sweden Jens?

//Bjarne
adddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 07:02 AM   #33
paulmartin
Registered Member

Hi Jens, great build! Will be following with interest.

Paul.

paulmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 12:48 PM   #34
Jaken
Registered Member

Thanks for the lecture in Linköping, Sweden Jens. It was much appreciated and interesting to hear about your NPS corals

//Jakob

Jaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 02:10 PM   #35
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Very nice start Jens. I look forward to watching your success

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2009, 05:32 AM   #36
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

Reef Ceramic decoration was delivered yesterday! This weekend I will put it in.
It was sent to my workplace, suddenly there was a whole pallet with a 6 ft tower in front of my office. It raised a few questions from the colleagues...

Unread 11/06/2009, 05:32 AM   #37
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

Double post

Unread 11/07/2009, 10:32 PM   #38
Aquabacs
Registered Member

Subscribed. Looking forward to another great build, Jens! Wish you the best of luck.

Mike

FM UltraLith system since 7.3.08

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon rimless non-photosynthetic
Aquabacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2009, 01:05 AM   #39
hihikeke
Registered Member

cant wait to see more..

hihikeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2009, 03:26 PM   #40
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

OK, here we go.
This is me measuring the exact dimensions of the overflow boxes in order to get the ceramic back wall fitted. I was supervised by one of the two real bosses.

After the Ceramics were delivered to my office last week I transported them home to get some work done over the weekend. Before putting it in I had to check whether the tank isn't actually leaking. Although I considered a brand new tank to leak a one in a million chance, but rather be safe than sorry. Another issue that I wanted to check before proceeding with the decoration was the levelling of the tank. The tank was perfectly leveled when empty, but the flooring may react on the heavy load, and move a millimeter or so. So on Friday night I filled the tank with tap water and let it sit over night.....everything was fine, the tank is tight and the levelling was as good as before. When the tank was half filled it was impressive to see how much the refraction of the water shortens the depth of the tank

Another interesting thing to observe was how the cats were attracted by the water.

The next thing was the fitting of the back wall that surrounds the overflow boxes. It is made from three pieces, two corners and a flat center panel. One of the corners needed a bit of trimming, but that was easily done. The three parts are not connected yet, because I will need to take one corer back out to install a bulkhead I forgot to buy before all the shops closed. As soon as all the bulkheads and the overflows are installed, the three pieces will be glued together so you can't see the seams anymore. It really becomes one single piece then, so better install everything beforehand.

After this was done, I started putting in the ground. Although I don't like sand because it is a major sink for detritus, I really dislike barebottom tanks, because I think that they look absolutely awful.
For my last tank I used grey Polyurethane foam, which looked bad in the beginning but ok after several months. When I visited Korallenwelt, the manufacturer of the Ceramics, Torsten the owner showed me a tank where he used a new material. It is some kind of concrete that looks just like sand, but solid. I was intrigued by that stuff and pestered him long enough to get two containers. Currently this material is not being sold to customers, he only uses it for large public aquaria.
Let's see how that stuff will behave in the long run. Putting it in was quite easy. After the ground was hard enough to step on it, the central reef was added, also Reef Ceramics.

That's it for today, tomorrow I will fill the tank with DI water, add some silicate adsorber and let it run for three weeks. I have to go on aResearch Expedition, so while I am freezing my butt off in the Barents Sea, the Ceramics will leach off their excess Silica and the cats will have an XXL water bowl

Cheers

Jens

Unread 11/08/2009, 03:53 PM   #41
buttons buster
Registered Member

Looks very good so far

buttons buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2009, 10:59 AM   #42
dcook
Registered Member

Lol

Wow now thats a large CAT FISH lol

Current Tank Info: 100 gal
dcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2009, 12:22 PM   #43
murfman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Kallmeyer View Post

That's it for today, tomorrow I will fill the tank with DI water, add some silicate adsorber and let it run for three weeks. I have to go on aResearch Expedition, so while I am freezing my butt off in the Barents Sea, the Ceramics will leach off their excess Silica and the cats will have an XXL water bowl

Cheers

Jens
I love the ceramic bottom but isn't it going to coralline up on you?

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2009, 12:46 PM   #44
premilove
The Empire

HAHAHAHA that video is priceless. i hope u get a nice cover just in case your cat gets hungry! subscribed!

premilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2009, 06:46 PM   #45
elijaher
Registered Member

tagged alone

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2009, 08:04 PM   #46
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Love the width of your peninsular... this is gonna look great.

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Current Tank Info: Ed Reef’s Shallow Crest Inspired ART
Ed Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2009, 04:26 AM   #47
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premilove View Post
HAHAHAHA that video is priceless. i hope u get a nice cover just in case your cat gets hungry! subscribed!
So far the cats haven't shown any interest in fishing. The old tank had a T5 pendant and one of the cats loved to sit on top of it because it was so nice and warm and he had a good overview of the room, but I never saw him or the other cat even trying to catch a fish.
For this new tank this won't be an issue anyways, because it will have a fully closed top. To prevent overheating I will install a ventilation system going through the wall into the next room. This way I hope I can keep moisture problems to an absolute minimum in the living room. The technical room will have its own AC and dehumidifier to keep temperature and moisture in check.

Jens

Last edited by Jens Kallmeyer; 11/10/2009 at 04:35 AM.
Unread 11/10/2009, 09:48 AM   #48
Mark
Premium Member

Fantastic build Jens! I'm impressed that you have a 400 gallon display on the top floor like that. Your last tank was beautiful, so I know this one will look great as well.

Btw, what are you using to absorb the silicate? I will hopefully be dealing with the same problem soon! I considered ferric oxide, but wondered if there is a media that targets the silicate more specifically.

TOTM March 2001

Current Tank Info: 225g stony reef, 38g softie
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2009, 12:10 PM   #49
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Fantastic build Jens! I'm impressed that you have a 400 gallon display on the top floor like that. Your last tank was beautiful, so I know this one will look great as well.

Btw, what are you using to absorb the silicate? I will hopefully be dealing with the same problem soon! I considered ferric oxide, but wondered if there is a media that targets the silicate more specifically.
Hi Mark,

I usually don't talk about the costs when it comes to my tank, but I can tell you that I spend about 8000 € for the reinforcement of the floor. I could start a tap-dancing studio for elephants on that floor.
For the silicate absorption I use Silicarbon from Aquaconnect, it is an Iron-based material.

Jens

Unread 11/10/2009, 04:52 PM   #50
Mark
Premium Member

Thanks Jens, I will look for that product online. Do you have any pics depicting how the tunzes are hidden in the ceramic?

TOTM March 2001

Current Tank Info: 225g stony reef, 38g softie
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote