Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Chebby
Registered Member

300g Mixed Reef Journey

I have been reefing for a few years. I started with a 15g. That was a mess but good learning experience. I was cycling a 65g but that develped a bottom seam leak and I hated it's dimensions so I removed it. Moved to a 90g. Thought I was doing things right but have run out of space and have an unfixable sump flaw.

Goals:
1. Make this the last build I do. Learned a lot from my reefing and reading these forums. Time to apply my learnings.
2. Make water changes easy. Water is life. Eliminating the burden of having to lug around fresh water and mixing buckets and drain buckets will encourage me change water religiously.
3. Automate. I already do a lot of this with my Apex on my 90. But take it to the next level.
4. Complete as much as possible before the fiancé gets her visa and moves in.

Last edited by Chebby; 03/10/2012 at 09:32 PM.
Chebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2012, 09:44 PM   #2
the_real_brian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebby View Post
3. Automate. I already do a lot of this with my Apex on my 90. But take it to the next level.

This is key to maintaining long-term interest and success in this hobby. Otherwise the list of chores becomes overwhelming and enthusiasm wanes.

the_real_brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Chebby
Registered Member

The old 65g:

The 90 as of today:

Unread 03/10/2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Chebby
Registered Member

I don't have a basement and there was no chance for a fish room. Everything needed to go under the stand. I have always liked the idea of an 8ft tank for ample swimming space. The only location I have for such a thing was in the as-of-now unused dining room. So loaded up SketchUp to see what I could come up with.

And here is my plan:

I did not want an internal overflow taking up so much space so decided on external. The reason for side external overflow was because of the window placement and not wanting a narrow tank there was no space for a rear one. I am thinking starfire front and the other 3 sides will be black. Cabnitry will box in the whole setup.

Unread 03/11/2012, 01:19 AM   #5
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Nice drawing! Her quote gave me a nice chuckle, thats exactly what goes through their heads.

What lights will you be going with?

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
What lights will you be going with?
I am currently running Radions and I like the controllability. I have not turned up the intensity beyond 70 and I am seeing decent growth on my acros. I already have 2 over my 90 so will add to that collection. Thinking about 6 total. Probably depends on my aquascaping.

Unread 03/11/2012, 12:51 PM   #7
gmate
MASC Member

That drawing was awesome, haha.

180, 90 and 50 gallon reef ready systems. Fragging & trading since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 180g, 90g & 50g frag tank
gmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Bushpig_2
Registered Member

I get that line from the wife all the time...but she's got a just as bad animal hobby as me, horses. Go figure.

I know thats just a quick sketchUp, but are you planning on dressing up the sides of the tank with wood work or just leave it bare?

Bushpig_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Chebby
Registered Member

First big construction step was to bring water to the area. Fortunately I took lots of photos when my house was being built and remembered the water source for the backyard spigot was just to the left of the area the stand would go. So 3 holes in the wall, fun with right angle drill bits and extensions, and numerous faulty fittings later, I have a water source under the stand. I also drilled for a small drain line that goes outside to the irrigation drain pipes. I will relocate my RO/DI to this area under the stand.

Unread 03/11/2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig_2 View Post
I know thats just a quick sketchUp, but are you planning on dressing up the sides of the tank with wood work or just leave it bare?
Yes indeed. Looks like I will have 6 cabinet doors at the bottom. I was thinking of some narrow false cabinets or shelves up both sides of the tank and a false canopy door across the top. I considered hiding a little bar sink on the right and possibly installing a chiller on the left.

Unread 03/11/2012, 06:43 PM   #11
silentscream
Registered Member

I'll follow along on this build, especially as a fellow 916'er. You've got a nice selection of fish to start out with too, good luck!

Unread 03/12/2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Chebby
Registered Member

Stand is framed. 130" long.

Unread 03/16/2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Chebby
Registered Member

So lets discuss equipment.

I currently have from Neptune Sytems an Apex controller, 2 8-socket energy bars, Wireless eXpansion Module, Lunar Sim Module.
From Ecotech 2 MP40w (controlled by the WXM module), and 2 Radion XR30w (will minimally add 2 more). Monitor mounting arms for the lights.
Dolphin Amp Master Diamond 4750 GPH (Type-4).
CAD Lights Conic Bio-Reactor 150G (for biopellets).
4-stage RO/DI. Tunze Osmolator. 20g for refugium. Lots of plumbing pieces.
From Avast Marine, MR5-18 (for carbon/gfo), and K1 Kalkstirrer (both assembled by me)

Super Reef Octopus XP-5000 Int Skimmer (neck cleaner not pictured) and 40g breeder for main sump.

Once stand is further along I will find right sized 30/40g tank for an inline water change/mixer. ~20g for RO/DI storage/top-off. ~20g qt/hospital tank. Still deciding if I will add ozone. Need to decide what to do for closed loop. Thinking about Oceans Motions but not sure size yet. I have a Current 1/10 hp chiller on my 90 but that will not be enough for this new tank. Also need to consider some type of ventilation system for under the stand. Lots of work left before water.

Unread 09/16/2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Chebby
Registered Member

Been a long time

Well life has gotten in the way and slowed progress down. But indeed I am making progress on my build.

Stand floor was added and everything painted with Kilz. Added my RO/DI equipment to a detachable wall on the right side if I ever need to remove and reconfigure this.

Water feeds in and waste (red) goes through the wall and to the drain.
Eventually fresh water (blue) will enter the storage tank which has a float for shut off and a red overflow tube just in case.

Here is the storage tank ~6 gallon. The top-off pump is inside. On the side is a mechanical valve then electrical valve connecting to float valve for filling the water change tank. Yes this storage tank is small and it will take time to create enough new fresh water to finish filling the 29 gallon mixing tank. It will shut off when full.

The water change tank has an overflow box and a gate valve to isolate it from the system when draining and mixing. It can also be used as a quarantine/hospital tank. There will be a heater and a float switch to make sure the heater is never on when water is low during drain and fill. This tank has a Mag5 for circulating/mixing the water. There is also an electronic valve to allow this tank to drain itself.

The output of the water change tank feeds into the refugium tank. There is separate flow for below the eggcrate and above to create different zones.

The top off pump goes to a switch that will direct the flow either through the kalk mixer or bypass it when refilling or consumption levels are met.

Output of the refugium is through an overflow box and and then over into the 40 gallon sump.

Return pump feeds a manifold to create flow into the mixing tank, refugium, and my media containers. There is one final valve before the return goes up the right side of the tank. There are pieces of flex PVC used throughout to keep down any vibrations and unions throughout.

Unread 09/16/2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

That's great you got your build going after a year and a half. Better late than never.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2013, 06:14 AM   #16
dave.m
Registered Member

Just a couple of suggestions that may or may not fit in with your automation plans:

Put your RO/DI and ATO pumps on timed outlets. That way if float switches fail you can limit the amount of time that either is running when you are away.

Tee off from the RO/DI via a solenoid on a timed outlet to control filling the mixing tank if you are automating this process. Even if you are going to fill the mixing tank manually a tee can simplify things.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Put your RO/DI and ATO pumps on timed outlets. That way if float switches fail you can limit the amount of time that either is running when you are away.
I am using a Tunze Osmolator for the ATO so don't expect any problems. The worst that can happen with my RO/DI setup is if the storage tank float shut-off fails, clean water would go out the overflow pipe and down the drain. Wasteful but not a flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Tee off from the RO/DI via a solenoid on a timed outlet to control filling the mixing tank if you are automating this process.
There is a solenoid valve on the filler tube from the storage tank to the mixing tank. I have a horizontal float on output of the fill tube to stop when full. Putting it on a timer would be a challenge as I expect fill rate will vary. I could (and probably should) add a backup float switch to auto-close the fill solenoid if the horizontal float is not sufficient.

Unread 09/21/2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Chebby
Registered Member

Added lighting for refugium. Two 30 par 5k LEDs.

Unread 09/21/2013, 01:42 PM   #19
MKsreef
Registered Member

This is really awesome. Good luck with it. Automation is the best way to go if you have the space and know how.

MKsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2013, 03:07 PM   #20
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebby View Post
...I considered hiding a little bar sink on the right...
There is no telling how many times I wish I had a sink nearby.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 08:18 PM   #21
Chebby
Registered Member

Got my skimmer neck cleaner and skimmate locker.

I decided to go with ozone. This air dryer is huge.

I built a little shelf to raise up the reactors and reclaim some floor space taken up by the return pump input. Ozone reactor and carbon reactor shown.

I still have to find a GFO reactor I like. More goodies are on the way.

Unread 10/03/2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Chebby
Registered Member

I do not really know what water depth my skimmer will want to run at (instructions state 6-10 inches) so I made an adjustable weir.

I found a little sink that will work perfectly in my space.

Unread 10/04/2013, 06:14 AM   #23
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Everything is looking good. Now I dont feel so bad with my build about to be more than 2 years old.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2013, 10:23 PM   #24
Chebby
Registered Member

Built a mechanical filter tray. Incoming water goes into deep chamber at end of sump and overflows into the tray at the far end. It will run across some type of filter pad. Some of the water that passes over the padding will drip through the small holes down onto a scoop and drop along the side wall into a bubble trap (not seen here). The extra water will travel to the filter sock. I am not a fan of socks so hopefully this way it will not get clogged with the largest of particles and I will not have to clean it so often.

Unread 11/06/2013, 11:11 PM   #25
purebullet417
Rimless Reef Club

great work. loving the bar sink in the stand that will be so useful.

Current Tank Info: 57 Gallon Rimless
purebullet417 is offline   Reply With Quote