Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2013, 05:03 PM   #26
Lilmatty5dimes
Moved On

awesome build. can't wait for this one to be all done and wet.

Lilmatty5dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2013, 05:19 PM   #27
fixmgood
Registered Member

Where did you get the solenoids from?

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 06:16 PM   #28
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Where did you get the solenoids from?
There is a company called EHCOTECH that makes all kinds of them and sells them on eBay.

I have finished lowering my RO/DI to make room for the sink. In the process I decided I should throw on another solenoid for the flush valve. I also have my faucet water source (white tube) prepared. I also have the sink drain plumbed. The black box in the top right is an energy bar 4 that has the mechanical relays to drive these low current valves.

Chebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2013, 11:47 PM   #29
Chebby
Registered Member

Created this little contraption to route all the effluent of the media reactors to the inlet of the skimmer.

Unread 12/09/2013, 11:47 PM   #30
Chebby
Registered Member

Lots of items ordered and en route. Meanwhile, I have labelled all my electrical cords. I have also connected up the top-off and bypass. The top-off pump feeds the black tube from the right. The blue solenoid is normally closed so pumped RO water will flow up and pass through a flow restrictor and into the kalk mixer and then into the sump. If the PH is too high or I am filling the kalk, the solenoid energizes and water takes the path of least resistance and goes straight to sump.

Unread 12/12/2013, 11:45 PM   #31
Chebby
Registered Member

Decided to try and automate things a little more. This is a flow switch that I will connect to the input of the ozone reactor. When I shut off the water supply, it will signal the controller to turn off the ozone generator and air pump.

Unread 12/17/2013, 11:54 PM   #32
Chebby
Registered Member

Dosing system is now connected.

Unread 12/18/2013, 03:57 PM   #33
isawill
Registered Member

Im looking at the same size tank for my upgrade.Would you share who is building your display tank? I also do not have space for a fish room so I am following your progress with great interest...
Thanks

isawill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2013, 09:35 AM   #34
Kroamium
Registered Member

Great build so far. But looks like you have stuffed that stand to the max. Some equipment looks like it would be difficult to get to and service once you put the tank on and wont be able to reach it from above.

Unread 12/23/2013, 11:44 AM   #35
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawill
Im looking at the same size tank for my upgrade.Would you share who is building your display tank?
Well, I had 3 leads long time back when I started (2 through my LFS and 1 independent guy). So I have to revisit all this once I get my solid surface installed and save up some $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroamium
Some equipment looks like it would be difficult to get to and service once you put the tank on and wont be able to reach it from above.
Fair concern, but I have found that 95% of the work I have been doing was from crawling inside and I do test things like clearances for removing skimmer cup for instance. So I will probably bump my head more and have less visibility (LED strips are coming) but I do think it is all workable.

Unread 12/23/2013, 03:44 PM   #36
jlafou1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebby View Post
I am currently running Radions and I like the controllability. I have not turned up the intensity beyond 70 and I am seeing decent growth on my acros. I already have 2 over my 90 so will add to that collection. Thinking about 6 total. Probably depends on my aquascaping.
Any reason preventing you from gradually moving it up closer to 100? Too much light for the softies?

jlafou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2013, 01:06 AM   #37
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafou1 View Post
Any reason preventing you from gradually moving it up closer to 100? Too much light for the softies?
I never saw anything that looked like it was struggling for more light. So keeping it turned down saves power, heat, and hopefully helps keep some algae away.

Apex controller and most modules are now connected and most electrical is routed. Nothing is programmed yet but I have lots of working code from my other system that will easily apply here too. The black box is my UPS. Network is alive. I use powerline networking as it is always more stable than wireless. Still some cord cleanup and float switch wiring left. Then I will finish up the reactor plumping.

Unread 12/28/2013, 06:21 PM   #38
Rotknee
Registered Member

Nice job on the build. I'll be following along as I am curious about using Ozone. I have one quick question for you. I noticed the pic below and just ordered a Skimmate Locker myself. Are they now shipping with the barb elbow union or did you add that?

Unread 12/29/2013, 01:47 PM   #39
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotknee View Post
Are they now shipping with the barb elbow union or did you add that?
It shipped with it. You can also order those barb unions separately (they are the only place I have found those). I added one to a media reactor to make removal much easier.

Unread 12/30/2013, 02:15 AM   #40
Rotknee
Registered Member

Thanks for the help Chebby. You have a lot of good things goin' on in this thread. I totally forgot about power line networking and I've been looking for an excuse to ditch my wireless setup to my controller.

How much time before you add water?

Unread 01/02/2014, 03:41 PM   #41
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotknee View Post
How much time before you add water?
I would hope before the end of the month I will be able to perform a full loop test to check for leaks and debug any problems before ordering my solid surface. I guess I need to check if I have enough 1.5" pipe and unions to complete the circuit.

Unread 01/04/2014, 12:14 AM   #42
Chebby
Registered Member

LED lights installed behind the front edge. I also have some door contact switches that will turn these on/off automatically.

Unread 01/04/2014, 07:48 AM   #43
SPotter
Registered Member

wow….what an amazingly clean and organized set up!!!! When does the tank arrive?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2014, 08:42 AM   #44
jverna1
Registered Member

Awesome build man! You really have thought this out well.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Aquarium Obsessed custom 4'x3'x2' SPS dominated reef tank, 100 gallon rubbermaid sump, 4 AI Vega's, Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 ext. (3) MP 40's. Apex controller, ESV B ionic via Bubble Magus Doser, Avast Marine Kalk reactor
jverna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2014, 01:51 AM   #45
aquaenthusiast
Registered Member

wow , super organized and neat
what is the device on top of the automated skimmer neck cleaner connected to the cat5 cable?
the solenoid directing the water flow to your kalk reactor/ sump, where can you find those? and how does it connect to the apex ?
definitely tagging along

Last edited by aquaenthusiast; 01/05/2014 at 01:59 AM.
aquaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2014, 10:22 PM   #46
aquaenthusiast
Registered Member

ignore the solenoid question , i wasn't reading very carefully

Unread 01/05/2014, 11:30 PM   #47
aquaenthusiast
Registered Member

ignore the solenoid question , i wasn't reading very carefully, I see where you just connected them with a standard plug/cable and you plug them into the apex eb4 because of the low wattage. But what are the clear things in between the power plugs and eb8 , do they light up to let you know their on?

Unread 01/06/2014, 03:01 PM   #48
Chebby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
When does the tank arrive?
Sadly my priority is paying off bills right now. So tank is on hold for a little longer. Still plenty of prep work to be done though. Plus I have my 90G still running so I am not missing out on anything except a new bigger beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaenthusiast View Post
what is the device on top of the automated skimmer neck cleaner connected to the cat5 cable?
Checking that my web cam was networked correctly and would show up on the Apex dashboard. Trying to figure out a good place to mount a camera or 2. I might replace the room light fixture and hang a cam down from the celling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaenthusiast View Post
But what are the clear things in between the power plugs and eb8 , do they light up to let you know their on?
Yup. Just for visibility that an outlet is on. IMO Apex should add a LED as it is very beneficial info for the user.

Unread 01/20/2014, 08:06 PM   #49
aquaenthusiast
Registered Member

I also have the apex, and was thinking about using those solenoids in my build, and I know your using the eb4 for the those, but would the apex breakout box also be able to switch the solenoids on/off? And what does the 550 flow restrictor ensure before the water enters the kalk reactor?
oh and we need updates! really great automation ideas

Last edited by aquaenthusiast; 01/20/2014 at 08:30 PM.
Unread 01/21/2014, 08:13 PM   #50
stevefl
Registered Member

wow so much great info I need to back and read again! I'm starting a 280 in wall build and do not have a whole room just under tank; your build is going to help me thanks for taking the time to post!

stevefl is offline   Reply With Quote