Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2014, 04:58 AM   #101
kw22
Registered Member

WOW,your tank is looking great!That is like my dream tank TBQH

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
kw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 09:31 AM   #102
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
How do you know what dinos look like?
I had been dealing with some kind of crap in my tank for months. It looked like mud on top of my sand and rock. Finally went away after I took out all the corals and kept the lights off for the last week. I first thought it was cyano but chemiclean had no effect on it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...6#post22998276

This thread had my q&a with a few people.
How do you get rid of it for good?
Daniel.
It was just growing on the eggcrate.

Ripped out the eggcrate and did a large water change.

Doing 3 days of darkness and also painted the eggcrate black.

Hopefully this will help...

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 01:16 PM   #103
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Sorry guys a little boring over here...

DT has been in hypo for a few weeks now... lost the Tomini and Purple Tangs to aggression...

More on that later, but everyone seems to have calmed down and haven't seen any Ich in the tank. Going to run hypo for about 4 more weeks, then bring the salinity back up. Had a scare when I thought the Black Tang had spots, but def wasn't ich. Maybe wounds. They got smaller, didn't just fall off.

Might order some new fish in a week or two. Also after my snails and coral are done with their 12 week QT, I'll start getting some coral

Unread 10/01/2014, 02:13 PM   #104
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Hey guys really slow over here...

Ordered another Kessil A360WE and will probably get 2 more to make a total of 6 in the next few weeks.

The fish are doing well in the hypo'ed display tank.

There have been two instances of spots on the Black Tang, but they are definitely not ich. More like it got in a little fight or scratched its head on the rocks. Just so easy to see anything on it's black body.

Will be raising the salinity back up in 9 days or so...

Since we're so close to ending hypo, I went ahead and ordered some fish to go into QT.

Will be trying the tank transfer method for the first time...

Ordered some fish from a new site called Coral Imports:
https://www.coralimports.com/

Got a large Lineatus Wrasse:
https://www.coralimports.com/fish/wr...brus-lineatus/

5 small female Lyretail Anthias:
https://www.coralimports.com/fish/an...-squamipinnis/

Large Common Cleaner Wrasse (Had luck with our other Common Cleaner):
https://www.coralimports.com/fish/wr...es-dimidiatus/

Here they are hanging out in a 20 gallon long QT tank for the first 72 hours of tank transfer:

In November I'll be over the 12 week countdown for my inverts and coral, and will return them back to the display tank and also buy more coral.

About time...

Unread 10/09/2014, 10:24 AM   #105
nuxx
RC Sponsor

I've decided to drop the tank transfer method...

Just seemed way too stressful on the Wrasses.

I did the following:
3 Days in a 20 Gallon Long
3 Days in a second 20 Gallon Long

Then moved to a "permanent" 40 gallon breeder quarantine with biological filtration.

The first two days in the tank the fish were all pretty shy. Now on the third day all the Anthias are about and about swimming around, but the Wrasses still hide ALL THE TIME.

How long should the wrasses take to start being more social and actually swim around the tank?

All parameters are in check BTW...

Unread 10/09/2014, 05:46 PM   #106
dave.m
Registered Member

Are they the type of wrasse that want to bury themselves in substrate? Have you provided them some substrate, even in a dish?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2014, 05:51 PM   #107
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Are they the type of wrasse that want to bury themselves in substrate? Have you provided them some substrate, even in a dish?

Dave.M
Nah it's a Fairy Wrasse, don' think it needs sand.

Unread 10/13/2014, 08:01 PM   #108
Easttuth
Registered Member

Do you have a YouTube channel? For some reason most of the videos and pictures you've posted don't show up for me. I wanted to be able to view them somehow

Using IPhone 6+ With IOS 8.0.2 if that matters

Thanks!

Unread 10/14/2014, 03:49 AM   #109
periocillin
Registered Member

beautiful tank

periocillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2014, 09:52 AM   #110
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttuth View Post
Do you have a YouTube channel? For some reason most of the videos and pictures you've posted don't show up for me. I wanted to be able to view them somehow

Using IPhone 6+ With IOS 8.0.2 if that matters

Thanks!
Not really a channel, but here are all the videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn1...-tviKufVyhD-7Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by periocillin View Post
beautiful tank
Thanks

Unread 10/14/2014, 10:31 PM   #111
reefermad619
Registered Member

Still loving the kessils?

reefermad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 10:50 AM   #112
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermad619 View Post
Still loving the kessils?
Yeah sure do

Need two more now!

Unread 10/15/2014, 05:47 PM   #113
Lavoisier
Premium Member

In our hobby, there is never enough!

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 09:23 AM   #114
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoisier View Post
In our hobby, there is never enough!
LOL so true :P

Unread 10/16/2014, 12:49 PM   #115
Masedaddy
SPS/Chalice Collector

Great looking tank! I love that you are taking everything so slow an QTing everything, very smart IMO. I love your aquascape, lots of ledges, caves etc. Looks great!

Have you thought about an UV sterilizer to help with any further parasite issues?

Have you noticed any heat transfer from the Jebao DC pumps?

Have you started on the skin for the stand yet? I'm curious if you are doing the woodwork or if you are having it contracted out?

Truly a beautiful build and the 10 ft length of the tank is amazing!!

Current Tank Info: 57G Oceanic Illuminata Display, 30G Deep Blue Frag Tank, 50 Gallon Custom Sump, Tunze 9415 DOC Skimmer, 36 in and 16 in SeaLife LEDs with T5HO supplement, Denitrator, Tunze ATO, Jebao Doser, 2x Ecotech MP10s
Masedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 12:57 PM   #116
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masedaddy View Post
Great looking tank! I love that you are taking everything so slow an QTing everything, very smart IMO. I love your aquascape, lots of ledges, caves etc. Looks great!

Have you thought about an UV sterilizer to help with any further parasite issues?

No I haven't... if something comes back, I'll probably add one though. I'm done doing something so drastic as hypo, never again. Just too much time... took forever to lower the salinity, now it's going to take forever to get it back up.

I will try to add more Cleaner Wrasses though. I love the one I have now, first to the nori clip, first to get food dumped in... also all the Tangs line up every night to be cleaned. I just bought another cleaner, but I killed him with an ammonia spike during Tank Transfer. From now on I'm going to just do the permanent QT procedure, and if they can make it through a low slowly risen dose of copper I'm sure they'll do well in the display. The one I just bought from Coral Imports was eating well and active right away. Just my inexperience at TTM killed it...

Have you noticed any heat transfer from the Jebao DC pumps?

Tank runs at 78.5-79.5 solid. Never goes up or down much. Having at least 11 Jebao DC pumps in there hasn't shown anything obvious related to heat.

Have you started on the skin for the stand yet? I'm curious if you are doing the woodwork or if you are having it contracted out?

Not yet, my wife hates my idea. We'll see how it turns out, I actually like the look of the metal of the stand. All our furniture is rustic, so there will be some metal exposed. Was waiting to wrap up the automatic water change equipment before skinning. Then hypo threw everything off. I know what materials I want to use now after taking my time, so we'll probably do it in the next month or two. My wife wants her dining room somewhat back to normal.

Truly a beautiful build and the 10 ft length of the tank is amazing!!

Thanks... needs a lot more fish and coral

Unread 10/16/2014, 01:08 PM   #117
Masedaddy
SPS/Chalice Collector

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly!! I know what you mean with the wife factor. My wife loves the tank but hates the time and money spent on the upkeep, new frags, new obsessions etc.... But, she has time for her junk TV and shoe collection. So I guess its a trade off.

I am in the process of building my next level tank. Moving up to a 180. So I am constantly searching for a better way to do it right the first time and only do it once.

Keep up the good work and I will be following along!

Current Tank Info: 57G Oceanic Illuminata Display, 30G Deep Blue Frag Tank, 50 Gallon Custom Sump, Tunze 9415 DOC Skimmer, 36 in and 16 in SeaLife LEDs with T5HO supplement, Denitrator, Tunze ATO, Jebao Doser, 2x Ecotech MP10s
Masedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 01:09 PM   #118
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masedaddy View Post
Thanks for answering my questions so quickly!! I know what you mean with the wife factor. My wife loves the tank but hates the time and money spent on the upkeep, new frags, new obsessions etc.... But, she has time for her junk TV and shoe collection. So I guess its a trade off.

I am in the process of building my next level tank. Moving up to a 180. So I am constantly searching for a better way to do it right the first time and only do it once.

Keep up the good work and I will be following along!
Will do

I'm just too anal about how everything needs to be done... drives her nuts. I also don't like being watched doing things, especially when there is an issue.

So I'll say it's more me haha

I told her she should do the next batch of quarantine :P

Unread 11/10/2014, 04:13 PM   #119
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Sorry for the long break in updating the build...

Been getting a new business off of the ground, which is reef related and will probably be sponsoring Reef Central in the new year

As far as our tank goes, not too much going on...

Been raising the salinity up in the display from hypo levels and we're up to around 1.020 right now. Should be back up to the 1.025-1.026 range in a week or two.

As hypo ended I had a large growth of green algae, not thick, more like coralline. It got kind of wild, but the tangs have now developed a taste for it and are beating it back.

The original plan was to get more fish in the tank quick to distract the tangs from each other, which led to ordering the 5 Lyretail Anthias and the large Lineatus Wrasse.

... then we decided we needed more fish while having a drink at our local beer pub... great ideas always come from that...

So I tossed two more quarantine tanks together and gave them about a week to cycle...

Used a bunch of different bacteria to "seed" the tanks. Also used some filter media that was in the sump of the display. Then filled the tanks with display water.

Went ahead and ordered some fish straight from a collector in Hawaii I had been talking to for a few years. Main reason I was using him was that he had access to small Crosshatch Triggers.

So we ordered a few fish from them, but a few weren't available and he made subs. Ended up with a small Crosshatch Trigger Pair (3.5-4"), 3 Flame Wrasses and a Potter's Angel.

Made the mistake of putting the Potter's in with the Crosshatches, they definned him overnight, and it died after I moved it to the Flame Wrasses tank.

Also ended up with Terminal, Male and Female Flame Wrasses. The Terminal killed the Male in short order.

Left with the Crosshatch Pair and now the Terminal and Female Flame Wrasses. They were all a bit rough, but seem to be making a nice turn around in quarantine.

I also noticed that the ammonia was never 0'ed out, so I tried some Instant Ocean Bio-Spira and it nuked the ammonia overnight. Haven't seen any since I added it.

In Quarantine I'm treating with ParaGuard for 30 days straight, dosing every day. This should take care of most things that could pop up. Also running two to three rounds of PraziPro.

All the new QT'ed fish should be going into the tank around the beginning of December.

Also in late November I can move all my inverts, chaeto and coral back to the display after a 12 week fishless quarantine in the frag tank.

After our trip to Maui in the middle of December I'll order a bunch more coral, inverts and some more fish as well

Here's a video of the small Crosshatch Pair eating:

Last edited by nuxx; 11/10/2014 at 04:19 PM.
Unread 11/11/2014, 04:32 AM   #120
FishM8
Registered Member

Hi Peter,

i am not sure if you should continue posting pictures like that. It makes me feel like i have to do some reef-shopping or do some changes an my reeftank just for fun

Greetings
Bjorn

Current Tank Info: DT: 200x80x80(cm) + Sump: 130x60x60(cm)
FishM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 12:07 PM   #121
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishM8 View Post
Hi Peter,

i am not sure if you should continue posting pictures like that. It makes me feel like i have to do some reef-shopping or do some changes an my reeftank just for fun

Greetings
Bjorn
Hahah, I don't think it looks good at all right now!

Unread 12/04/2014, 01:40 PM   #122
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long delay in posting!

It's been a busy few weeks.

Finally got the tank back up to 1.026 and put my 12 week QT'ed snails and crabs back into the tank. Too bad I didn't feed them enough in QT and 3/4ths of the snails were taken out by the crabs.

After a few days of putting the snails and CUC back in, they have taken out about 1/3rd of the hair algae.

Wrapped up three groups of quarantined fish (three less tanks to take care of!) and moved the fish over to the display.

Added the following:
- Small Crosshatch Trigger Male
- Small Crosshatch Trigger Female
- Supermale Flame Wrasse
- Small Female Flame Wrasse
- Large Lineatus Wrasse Male
- (5) Lyretail Anthias Females

I'm going to run the lights at about 1/3rd power for the next two weeks until we get back from Maui.

Here is a video of them in the tank... they are a bit skittish, but have started acting more normal after a day or so.

Also bought 12 Nassarius and 12 Turbo Snails. I ordered extra large, and WOW they are the largest I've ever seen. They are going into the fishless frag tank for a 12 week QT. I'll supplement some food in the tank for them.

Ordered some coral as well, really happy with the pieces I got.

Already had the following in the frag tank:
- Large Frogspawn
- Multiple Head Trumpet
- Unknown Green/Blue SPS Pieces

Put the following into the tank for a 12 week QT:
- Neon Hammer
- Golden Torch
- Long Tentacle Plate
- Ricordia Mushroom
- Orange Scoly
- Some Pieces of Acropora
- Some Zoas

Really looking forward to getting some coral in the big tank

Here's a video of the frag tank:

After we get back from Maui we'll order some more fish as well

Last edited by nuxx; 12/04/2014 at 01:47 PM.
Unread 12/05/2014, 06:21 AM   #123
FishM8
Registered Member

Hi Peter,

what kind of light do you have on your frag tank?

Greeting Bjorn

Current Tank Info: DT: 200x80x80(cm) + Sump: 130x60x60(cm)
FishM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2014, 10:12 AM   #124
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishM8 View Post
Hi Peter,

what kind of light do you have on your frag tank?

Greeting Bjorn
In the frag tank I'm running some older "Cheap Chinese" LEDs.

They have 55 or so blue and white 3 watt LEDs in them. The whites are turned off letting the coral acclimate.

Unread 01/13/2015, 08:05 PM   #125
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Starting a new frag / grow out tank

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2472158

Lots of other things going on, will talk about them when I get a little more time