Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2015, 04:41 PM   #51
Blue spot
Registered Member

Perfect thanks worm

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 07:11 AM   #52
Blue spot
Registered Member

just to keep you informed. It's official, my jawfish is a secret eater. I have not seen it eat a thing and yet it still looks perfectly healthy, i even set a go pro up as worm suggested put some food in left the room and nothing. I have no idea what it i eating but it must be somthin

Unread 02/08/2015, 12:50 PM   #53
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Spray some food at it and see what it does? Glad the gopro showed NOTHING. LOL

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2015, 02:57 PM   #54
Blue spot
Registered Member

It's eating day

Today little blue spot started feeding again ... Hooraaah ! No reason why. Put some flake in and it went crazy for it . So I'm still non the wiser.
However because I have been dumping loads of food in to try and get things going I have had a nitrate spike up to about 30. So I've added a gyractor with some bio pearls. Not used this before so if anyone has had any positive or negative experience with this it would be appreciated.

Unread 02/14/2015, 04:31 PM   #55
Blue spot
Registered Member

Valentine's

Well it's Valentine's day , and my fish are also loved up. My helfrinchi have been missing 2 for a number of days . I can see them in a rock but only come out occasionally . Today they were all out and showing signs of spawning.
On the blue spot front I think I have figured it out why the one was not eating. Every morning I have got up to find a new batch of eggs on the glass close to where both blue spots live. The way I would describe the eggs is a sort of fern leaf shap. In the same corner is a small damsel fish, who in hind sight has gotten a lot more moody/aggressive as of late. So I think the damsel was hastening the jawfish , spooking him of his food. Now that territories are re-a stablished everyone seams to be getting on better. Well that's my theory anyway. So if you're blue spot stops eating.... Look out for horny damsels !
Today I have also added to the love tank with a pink spot goby, and 13 red spot cardinals. I have always wanted some sort of schooling fish , and to be honest had never considered these. I am so happy with the result . They seam to have added a lot more life to the tank and emphasised the depth (which is sometimes lost with refraction) so far recomend these to everyone (but it is only the first day) I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Unread 02/26/2015, 03:42 PM   #56
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well folks, nothin new to report. Everything is thriving at the minute . I believe I may have become the ultimat hobbyist...... it appears I have nothing else to learn......... 2 weeks just looking and enjoying the tank.... My work here is done.

Unread 02/26/2015, 03:48 PM   #57
Blue spot
Registered Member

Only joking .. It's been a disaster. My temporary theiling stand collapsed , when reassembling the main return pipes came loose and the water shot out onto my electrics ... Boom ! Luckily no permanent damage, just a lot of ribbing and pictures sent to my electrician cousin who has informed me ,I own a "death trap" . I am now trying to create some sort of screen for both the water and the moaning I am receiving .

Unread 02/27/2015, 12:00 AM   #58
worm5406

What??? Which post to believe??

English and their dry humor...

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 03/07/2015, 05:12 PM   #59
Blue spot
Registered Member

Yet more bad things today , and it's my favorite fish !!!! Tonight I have found my blue spot spinning around , completely disorientated , I have no idea what is wrong with it. I had read a lot about Bsjf disease but it doesn't appear to be this ? It's just spinning round and round every time it try's to swim , it's completely abandoned it's home stopped feeding and is sort of gasping , not pleasant to watch . I've caught it a made it a new home in the sump incase it has been bullied out of its home ( I am currently trying to catch an annoying damsel fish which I suspect may be the cause of some unrest) searched the threads but can't find anyone with similar symptoms . Anyone got any ideas ??

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:03 PM   #60
Blue spot
Registered Member

It's not all doom and gloom

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:06 PM   #61
Blue spot
Registered Member

does anyone know what this is ?

and before anyone mentions it, i know its seaweed ! just wondering what type, it looks bright blue when under lights so I thought Id'e let it grow, but it does seam to be spreading a little now. just thought i had better check its not going to smother the tank .

Last edited by Blue spot; 03/07/2015 at 06:22 PM.
Unread 03/07/2015, 06:09 PM   #62
Blue spot
Registered Member

i also found this ??

any ideas , I've not put it in on purpose so must have come in on some coral ?

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:19 PM   #63
Blue spot
Registered Member

fish trap

I have not mentioned this on here, but by profession I am an design engineer, when faced with the difficult task of trying to catch the uncatchable damsel (who is annoying me greatly, i knew I should not have put this damsel in, but it was so peaceful in my other tank) I came up with an engineering idea so cunning it cannot fail. Take one unruly damsel…. get it favourite home/hangout and ...et voilà!

As you can see, somebody studdied pretty damn hard at design school !!

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:20 PM   #64
Blue spot
Registered Member

patent pending…… hands off you people out their !

Unread 03/07/2015, 10:44 PM   #65
dave.m
Registered Member

Your images are too poor to tell what either the algae or the pink smear are, but if your tangs are not touching the algae then I'd be concerned and remove it from the tank before it becomes a problem.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 10:48 PM   #66
worm5406

Images are hard to tell. When taking pictures you need to be as perpendicular as you can, no off-angle pictures.

The images do look nice!

Take some more!

Unread 03/08/2015, 04:33 AM   #67
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well the tang isn't touching it so I'll take it out, thanks Dave, And worm you're techy, my pictures are much clearer but I have to down grade them to get them to upload on the website album. Any suggestions ? And lastly what about the jawfish any ideas anyone?

Unread 03/08/2015, 04:38 AM   #68
dave.m
Registered Member

On the jawfish - could be anything: internal parasites, malnutrition, something nasty in the water or substrate, old age, alcohol/drug abuse, etc.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 02:23 PM   #69
Blue spot
Registered Member

Lol. It has been missing a few times in the day when I've looked for it, so their is a great possibility it could have popped out to Visit it's local dealer. This is the one that stopped eating a while back, so now you have said that I think it may have been bullied and stopped eating again. Plus I have 2 and the other is doing great. So how do you force feed a jawfish ?

Unread 03/08/2015, 09:01 PM   #70
worm5406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
Well the tang isn't touching it so I'll take it out, thanks Dave, And worm you're techy, my pictures are much clearer but I have to down grade them to get them to upload on the website album. Any suggestions ? And lastly what about the jawfish any ideas anyone?
Personally I have a google account that I upload my pictures to. I do have a few of the other hosting sites, too.

Once I upload them to google, I move them to an album, setup just for tank pics. Once it gets to about 500 pictures I make a new one.

From there there is a link item to the right. I use the one for picture only with out a link to the album. I also adjust the size.

If I want a larger pixel image I use one of the other hosting sites. Zero downgrading on the images this way.

Unread 03/08/2015, 09:39 PM   #71
o2manyfish
Registered Member

The algae looks like bryopsis. You want to remove it and make sure you pick the base from the rock. It can get out of control, and will take over areas of the tank and overpower and kill corals.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2015, 11:49 AM   #72
Blue spot
Registered Member

Thanks worm .ill give that a go. And thanks O2many , googled byropsis and it does look like a strain of this. I knew I shouldn't have let the "that looks pretty" get the better of me. I have removed the big parts but it has already seaded into the Rock tried picking it off but it's well on their. To add to it the only picee of live rock I added to the tank which the byropsis is on has got bubble algae ! And this has spread to the surrounding rock. So I'm picking that off as well. So the live rock is history , gone. My coraline has started all over the tank and this was the only reason I added it.
On the jawfish front it's not looking good at all. Today it had a piece of white stringy poo stuck to it, I am trying to hand feed it but it is just spitting out everything. It's got no white blotches or anything on it, if it wasn't spinning around it would look reasonably healthy , but thinner than I would like, their is a possibility it is eating itself, but not sure. Don't know if I am doing more harm than good by catching it to try and feed it. But can't think of anything else to do.

Unread 03/09/2015, 02:08 PM   #73
o2manyfish
Registered Member

None of the fish will eat bryopsis. I have had it pop up several times, and it can take hold quickly. Over here in Los Angeles, we get something called a "Sea Hare" - It's an ugly looking creature that looks like a giant slug. But they will eat the bryopsis and eat all the way down to the root.

Some people have said the Sea Hares have a short life expectancy. I have had them live in my tanks for up to 2 years. And have had them start spawning. In my 400 I kept 3 of them healthy for a long time.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2015, 04:16 PM   #74
Blue spot
Registered Member

They have a sea hare in my local lfs at the moment. Will it crawl up the rocks ? I only ever sea them on the sand. Does anything bad happen if the die, like a sea apple ? School boy questions sorry but never kept them, also o2many , what fish is you're profile pic? It looks like a bit like a venustus but I've never Seen one in the uk, herd they are difficult to keep.while I'm on May as well ask another question, what about an arrowhead for the bubble algae ? Herd mixed reviews about how safe they are.

Unread 03/09/2015, 04:25 PM   #75
Blue spot
Registered Member

Jesus O2many. Thought ide try and answer my own question about the fish so had a look at you're thread..... Stunning tank ! Love lt, given me some inspiration , but got another question now, what is the Orange fish with the black tail looks a bit like a basslet shape ? Needles to say I've subscribed.

Tags
8ft, blue spot, new tank, reef