Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2015, 12:17 PM   #101
Blue spot
Registered Member

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2015, 12:40 PM   #102
Blue spot
Registered Member

update

So as you can see in previous pictures, things are progressing ok. I think i am through the green stage and I now have more Coraline growth. fish wise everything is doing well and feeding, couple of finicky feeders , the moorish was difficult but its now on flake, the worst one is the kalidos wrasse which only eats brine and goes to bed really early, so have to rush in and get the brine in straight from work. had some patches appear on one of the corals and after speaking with my lfs he thought it might be a fish attacking it, on closer inspection today , it's the moorish ! not only that but he's started to eat the mouths out of the lobos !! I love this fish so I'm just gonna try and feed it more. also today had a couple more SPS corals, I'm still a little nervous of this as at the moment all I dose is Kalk, iodine and iron and complete a water change about every three weeks. I test every week and things seem fairly stable , but having never kept SPS I am slightly unsure of what I am looking for with regard to health. I've read a lot though, but nothing seams to be better than experience . if you spot me making a complete mistake please feel free to point it out . one thing I am unsure of is the light level for these corals, currently I run the standard colour radiance programme on the radion but not sure if this is gonna cut the mustard. Any advice appreciated.

Unread 06/20/2015, 02:23 PM   #103
Blue spot
Registered Member

Happy holidays

Well just got back of holiday with a relative kindly looking after my tank. Although my tank is fairly low maintenance their are still a few things that need doing. So on my return 2 fish dead and a couple of my corals. My kaleidos wrasse jumped ( one key thing I mentioned , slide the screens over so nothing hops out ). I understand this one . The second is my blotchy just lying dead in the tank. No idea what happened to this ?? Though it is evident the protein skimmer has been left to overflow (my sump was immaculate before I left) and their is an awol jawfish. I'm going to dig its home up tomorrow to see if it's in their . So in all a little sad but had a great holiday though

Unread 06/22/2015, 02:12 PM   #104
Blue spot
Registered Member

Onward and upward

So with all the gloom never had chance to tell you of the good things going on. On my way back from holiday (still thinking my tank was immaculate ). I stopped in a fish shop on the way back, they had another one of my favourite fish which I have never seen in the flesh , a venustus angel. I have always admired these in pictures and other tanks so I went for it. A little bit of a gamble as I know they can be tricky to feed, but I am fairly diligent in my routines and have have a modicum amount of success with this sort of thing. So in it went...... Although I have a peacful tank everyone in their hated this fish, literally everything attacked it, so I watched carefully for a few minutes hoping things would settle down, but no , so I caught the batterd fish and liberated it to the sump. It's doing ok in their but not sure how to introduce it into the main tank. If anyone has any tips on this please let me know , but I will keep researching in the mean time. But after a water change and a bit of tlc I am pleased to say the tanks back looking good again. I also had a rare opportunity to take a picture of my white cap goby. It doesn't appear very often so I'll get these posted when I get chance . I know it tiny , but I love this fish so I was just glad to see it alive and swimming about. Last thing to point out is the moorish. It's got massive really quickly , wasn't expecting that but it's turning into an impressive looking fish . On the venustus thing , do you think adding it at night would be any good ?

Unread 06/22/2015, 08:14 PM   #105
dave.m
Registered Member

Well, the first step is to quarantine that new fish for 6-8 weeks to ensure it won't introduce a disease or parasite that will wipe out the rest of your fish.

Then you get an acclimation box, which is nothing more than a clear acrylic box that allows water to flow through. Your existing inhabitants can see and smell the new-comer but not harm him. It may take a day or two or three until they get used to him. It takes time.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 01:37 AM   #106
Blue spot
Registered Member

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately I can't quarantine . To quote "one tank in this house is quite enough" so I do have to fly a little by the seat of my pants with this one , bad practice but unavoidable ! I like the idea of the acclimation box though, I have seen these a few times on you tube in people's tanks so I think I'll give that a try. Thanks for the help

Unread 07/01/2015, 09:23 PM   #107
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
That's a sweet looking chalice with the redspot cardinals. got any close ups of that?

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2015, 11:48 AM   #108
Blue spot
Registered Member

I can get one , but my photo skills are ........ Artistic ! Lol . I can never get my pictures to get the colours they always come out funny with the blues on so I have to put the whites on only. The colour on this chalice is mad. In real life it's bright orange with green and purple running through it with yellow eyes. I think I need a filter or something for the camera lens but I have no idea what people use to get such good pictures. If anyone knows please tell me .

Unread 07/02/2015, 12:15 PM   #109
dave.m
Registered Member

There's a whole forum here on RC about reef photography.

Dave.M

Unread 07/08/2015, 12:27 PM   #110
Blue spot
Registered Member

Update

Well I've now read the entire photography forum...... I've decided I am not cut out for photography and from now on will be expressing impressions of my tank through interpretive dance videos........ This may be easier.lol. But on with the update. I've had an aptasia outbreak, little sparkly ones ( not had these before but they grow like wild fire. I aptasia x'd them and will see how that goes. Still got that byropsis algae in the tank and still trying to buy a sea hare as suggested on this thread , in the mean time still pulling the stuff and I've got bubble algae . All from one piece of live rock !!!! If I ever set one up again I'm using purple up for my algae !
Sump wise I've ripped out my algae also , not sure what type it was , got it from Lfs, but it's gone crazy so I've swapped for a few different types of algae that are less aggressive And more attractive.
Coral wise everything is looking great, even my sps which I was worried about trying is looking good , getting lots of polyp extension and nice colour again still early days , but I'm enjoying learning all new things.
Fish wise again everything doing well after holiday gate. I now have a pair of blue throat trigger fish which are doing well also .
Bert blue spot is still alive and kicking, beryl blue spot was lost in holiday gate (not sure if I mentioned this). For now I am sticking with Bert and seeing how I do , had him 6 months now.
My experience with blue spots so far is that they do require attention. Can't speak for what happend to beryl as I wasn't here. But everything you read is true they are easily spooked by the other tankmates ( even non aggressive ones) I think feeding is key I always have to spot feed or put extra in to ensure the blue spot feeds well. And temperatures do need to be lowered , they are much more active when my tank is colder ( had a couple of temp spikes lately and the blue spot didn't even poke it's head out of the burrow) and you do need a mixture of substrates so that they can make their home , I had a semi corse substrate, but have now added several textured substrates until Bert appeared happy with his home.
Anyway a lot of waffle from me , I'll do a pic update next time.

Unread 07/19/2015, 04:31 PM   #111
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well today I think I have baught my last fish ! Well never say never. So I finished off with a pair of grammica dartfish and a baby goldflake angel. As per usual when adding the goldflake my tigerpyge went on the war path but I was prepared this time. So I added the goldflake and the venustus ( that's been living in my sump) and rearanged the rocks on the one end of my tank. Mass confusion was my weapon of choice. Though I haven't seen the venustus yet ( not overly surprised by that it's quite secretive) and the goldflake set up shop in the newly arranged area. So fish done. Though I could be tempted by a blenny or goby now and then, or if I ever see a replacement kaleidos wrasse again ( so gutted about this jumper) . Coral wise everything looking good , still got byropsis and bubble algae though. I have started to add a little more light now because of the sps , so let's sea how that goes.

Unread 07/22/2015, 11:54 AM   #112
Blue spot
Registered Member

Oh happy day

Well something I've done has worked out perfectly for once. So today I'm a happy boy. The goldflake and venustus are in , not only that but they are friends and battling of the tigerpyge . I hadn't seen the venustus since moving it from the sump so was worried and then last night . Their it was, hanging out . Not only that but they hang out in my spot, (very sad, but I have a seat, on the one side of the tank, where I try and home all my favourite fish) very selfish ......but they are my fish ! Hence the happiness , on my side I now have . Blue spot (obviously), a white cap and pistol shrimp, a start blenny , a pair of Caribbean sailfins, a grammica dartfish , an orchid dottyback, a goldflake and a venustus. The other fish dart in , but these are the residents. They look stunning !
So .... as I have had one thing work . I now feel that I am qualified to answer all marine related questions, so fire away folks , the master is in session. (I am joking ....... Don't ask me any questions . Lol )

Unread 08/06/2015, 01:38 PM   #113
Blue spot
Registered Member

Another wordy update from me. Sorry Mac is fried so can't download pictures ! So what's been happening.... The war on byropsis for one ! After reading extensively on this forum I found mixed reviews on how to tackle it, raising mag, pulling it, bleaching it, eating it. I plumbed for the eating it approach and added 2 sea hares and 6 lettuice slugs. From my experience the lettuice slugs are doing the trick. They are always on it munching away to the point that they have actually changed colour since I've had them, they are now a very dark green, I assume this is from their byropsis diet, sea hares I can't comment on . Never sea them. So after around 2 weeks I am seeing a marked improvement, I'll keep you posted on this. next bubble algae ! Added 6 crabs ...... No improvement yet
Next coral. I have baught a few more sps and they still seam to be doing fine, this is a new area for me so am enjoying learning about these corals, I think my nitrates are high still they are 10 currently, I think I am going to aim for 5 as I have softies Lps and sps, and a high level of fish stocking, I know this is not a perfect situation for everything , but it is what I am aiming for, any tips would be appreciated .

Unread 08/06/2015, 01:46 PM   #114
Blue spot
Registered Member

Forgot about the fish . Fish wise again everything is alive and thriving. Although I said I was happy with my stock level... I have added another couple of fish, again my stock variety seams high, but I likes lot of small fish blennies gobies etc. so I have added a couple of blue eyed cardinals. I never sea these fish in the UK and was really pleased to get them as they are a fish I have admired on the Internet for a while. Now that's it no more fish..... Not one... I'm done............... Except if I find a replacement kalidos wrasse..... And I need a couple of clowns for my new yellow ritteri anem......... And if I ever sea a Red Sea mimic blenny. ( this is another fish I have yet to sea here, but have been searching for for 2 years. Anyway next post I'll try and add some pictures if I can get the Mac up again !! Hope everyone's tanks are doing good .

Unread 08/06/2015, 04:09 PM   #115
cprice
Moved On

Just read the entire thread, love it! Im new to RC but have a 29 gal with a custom 29 gal sump that I have had set up for almost 2 years now. I definitely feel you with the whole re-arrangement thing. I totally break mine down about every 3-4 months to try something new.

I love that you built a whole tank around a single fish species and I am really impressed with the diversity of your tank inhabitants. I am currently in the planning stages for my own 500+ gallon tank that is about 3-4 years away still ($$$). Looking forward to getting to keep more than 3 or 4 fish at a time!

I really enjoyed watching your tank progress and I will continue to watch this one over the next few months! Best of luck!

cprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2015, 05:22 PM   #116
Blue spot
Registered Member

Thanks cprice. I'm trying to make all the mistakes possible in one build . Lol . But it's all good learning. I hear you on the rearranging and it's been very useful not having everything fixed. As mentioned I left the one end "flexible" so for instance when I introduced the Angels and they were getting bullied , I rearanged the one end of the tank to cut down the territory, if I get a new coral and it's looking a little out of place I just rearrange a bit. You never know what you may come up with next so I like to tinker. Probably not best practice, but what the hell . It's my hobby and I like playing.lol.
Hope you Wright a thread on your new tank build . This is my first thread and found it useful for myself, time runs away and you think . When did I do that or change something , where did it all go wrong.

Unread 08/07/2015, 03:58 AM   #117
Blue spot
Registered Member

Another thing I forgot to mention, and is the entire point of my thread. Bert blue spot. I don't want to curse it but he's doing great. Eating well. Made a lovely home in a piece of aquacroche. He's also colouring up. Bert has always been a little dull in jawfish terms, as he's ageing the oranges are really starting to pop. Really pleased about this, why he has done better than the other 2 I have no idea, they have all had the same amount of care and the same conditions ? The only things I have observed is that Bert was initially a lot more timid than the other fish and the colour difference. He's moved several times so I can't even say he was more established in an area , though he has been in his latest spot for around 4 months now . I might investigate the colour thing further, see if I can find another dull one, maybe it has more natural coating ? I know shipping plays a role , but Bert came in the same group as the first jawfish I had ? Ill keep watching

Unread 08/15/2015, 03:35 PM   #118
Blue spot
Registered Member

New computer . Hooraahh! I'll post some pics tomorrow if I get chance. This week I can absolutely 100% recommend lettuice slugs for byropsis , the change is now dramatic not completely gone yet but nearly and in 3 weeks. I found it useful that if you find a slug roaming around , I pop it on a piece of byropsis and it usually stays their till its gone. If you have bryropsis, get a lettuice slug or 2 .
Right next plague which I am definetly loosing is bubble algae. I cannot event dent the spread, again it's gone past picking off , and it's in places I can't get to , any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thought about an arrow head crab , but read mixed reports on these eating other things in the tank, die also need one that's about 6 stone to get through the bubble algae I have a present.
Next thing is I my gold flake has one eye bulging and cloudy. Don't know if it's been damaged or if it has an infection, for now I am going to leave it and see if nature sorts it out. I have tried the intervention approach before and it's never worked out very well so I'm just going to concentrate on making my water as good as it can be and hope it clears up.thats the gloom over , everything else is doing well. No coral death , sps seams to be going well and improving in colour. Pleased about this as I've stated never tried to keep it before. All other fish are doing well and now that everything is used to the food I put in , I'm cutting back on my feeding a little to get my nitrates where I want them, also with regard to this the bio pellets seam to have kicked in and my levels are dropping from 10. I'm also hoping this might help with the bubble algae ! Still not dosing yet, everything manual currently , but I'm thinking of buying a dos next weekend. Whilst I am sat here righting Bert ( blue spot) has just put his rock over his burrow so it must be bed time. You can set your clock by him. Up at 7 bed at 10:30.

Unread 08/15/2015, 05:14 PM   #119
dave.m
Registered Member

For bubble algae I have found green emerald crabs (Mithraculus sculptus) to work well, if a bit slowly. They are also good for keeping hair algae trimmed.

Dave.M

Unread 08/16/2015, 09:23 AM   #120
Blue spot
Registered Member

thanks dave ill stick it out then. got 8 in . so lets see what happens

Unread 08/16/2015, 09:27 AM   #121
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 08/16/2015, 09:59 AM   #122
Blue spot