Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2016, 11:00 AM   #51
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

That's not really that much.

I would so much rather do that that drywalling our new house.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 11:14 AM   #52
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
That's not really that much.

I would so much rather do that that drywalling our new house.
Haha so would I

The biggest holdup right now is just time. I have been successful removing the coraline etching I discovered, it just takes a lot of the rarest commodity so this part is going to go slow. I think it is worth it. I am not entirely sure if it happened when the tank dried out during the move and sitting or if it was like that when I saw it running. Either way I didn't notice so I doubt the previous owner did either. Now that I know they are there, it's going to drive me crazy for the foreseeable future if I don't fix them now.

Drywall drives me crazy. The engineer in me wants perfectly straight and true. Easy task right

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 11:19 AM   #53
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Time is always the most precious commodity. I know this will be one incredible tank when you are done and you will do it right, as always.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Unread 08/18/2016, 11:22 AM   #54
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Side Bar - what do you have planned for your 360?

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube
whyamisofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 12:21 PM   #55
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

He is driving it to Texas and helping me set it up in my 8' x40' hallway.

Unread 08/18/2016, 11:19 PM   #56
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Time is always the most precious commodity. I know this will be one incredible tank when you are done and you will do it right, as always.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyamisofly View Post
Side Bar - what do you have planned for your 360?
It will be sold. There is a local kid who is being rather patient who has dibs, he's going to keep a ray or two in it. It's going cheep and I am going to avoid lifting a finger when it does

I thought about cutting it apart and turning into the sump... but then I ended up scoring a 3/4" thick acrylic sump by AGE that fits better. I have my current 120gal sump and the 90gal sump the 600gal came with as well that I need to get rid of.

I have to figure out where I am going to put all of my live rock. You guys have no idea how much rock I have accumulated over the years. No joke I am up to around 2000-2500lbs !! I have been buying it up when I see it go on craigslist for $1 a lb or less. I have my 360 full, my 120 sump full, a 100gal rubbermaid full, and a 150gal rubbermaid full. I listened to the Tetris theme song for 3 hours trying to combine a 100gal into an already full 150gal. It worked

Quote:
He is driving it to Texas and helping me set it up in my 8' x40' hallway.
Having a couple beers with ya would be worth more than the tank. I just assume get on a plane. She's seen her usable life as a display.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 08/18/2016 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 08/19/2016, 01:01 PM   #57
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Well, if he for some reason passes, I would like to be next in line.

Unread 08/19/2016, 08:39 PM   #58
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Roger that!

Unread 10/02/2016, 10:43 PM   #59
tkeracer619
Registered Member

So much has happened since my last update! I will try to catch you guys up this week while I'm on a work trip.

No water yet but I'm getting close to painting the filtration room!

Unread 10/03/2016, 03:56 PM   #60
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Woot!!!!

Unread 10/06/2016, 09:06 PM   #61
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Move Washer/Dryer

My house has an over sized laundry room and a lot of stairs. Doing laundry kinda sucks and walking 3 flights of steps to do it doesn't help. The aquarium project kicked the washer and dryer out like a bad roommate. Interestingly enough they used to be one level up in what will be the display room and there is still a nice nook so I'm putting them back where they belong!

I ran a new 10/3 circuit and new ducting. The water and drain were still there.

The new ducting... which I have since strapped up to be straight. You can see part of the old ducting on the left side of the room.

The new electrical for the dryer and ducting going through the wall to the nook. This is in the furnace room.

Washer and Dryer in their new/old home. I only need to use 2 sets of stairs now. Less underwear on inside out ... jk of course.

The to do list just got one line shorter

Unread 10/06/2016, 09:17 PM   #62
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Level the Tank

Leveling went super easy. My friend and local reefer Atul (BigBlueTang) came over and helped out. We used my hydraulic floor jack to lift the tank, a 4ft level to get it close, and then put 3/4" of water in to get it as close to perfect as possible.

We cut out a bunch of thin ply into large shims to take up the slant in the slab and worked our way around with composite shims.

Thanks dude!

Shims...

Water for the final level.

And... it's level. Painless.

Unread 10/06/2016, 09:28 PM   #63
tkeracer619
Registered Member

The Fish Room Begins!

Say hello to the fish room! Time to get to work

This is how it looked at this point. I have my water mixing station, the sump for the 600gal, and the skimmer in the room. There are also a few pumps laying around for a general idea of how I will lay them out... Turning clockwise

Unread 10/06/2016, 10:05 PM   #64
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Move Fish Room Door 4ft to the left.

To fit everything into the room how I want it I need to move the door.

1. The door is not in the right place.
2. The door is 36" wide and there is no slab.
3. If there was a slab I bet it wouldn't close right.
4. I have to plumb the drain in a complex manner and it ends up running the last 3 feet across the hallway and into the sump under water level. There just isn't any way around it. Not wanting to have the plumbing run across the hallway I need to make a landing for the stairs that is the height of the first two steps. To meet code I need a 3 ft landing and this would have been in front of the original doorway. If there was another way to run the drain I haven't thought of it after daydreaming for 3 years...

At this point in the thread, I would like to point out that I have no idea what I am doing in regards to remodeling homes but... I do have "The Nack" so I am going to give it an honest effort. Should the need arise and I cannot figure something out, I'll book a room at the Holiday Inn for a night or two.

My first step was to mark the studs in the wall.

The next step was to take a hammer and pull down one side of the drywall.

Tear down the other side of drywall.

I don't have any load supporting walls in my basement so I went ahead and pulled out the studs I can't re-use.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 10/06/2016 at 10:11 PM.
Unread 10/06/2016, 10:06 PM   #65
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Move Fish Room Door 4ft to the left... continued.

Frame the wall.

Install the door. Not to toot my own horn... but this is the best closing door in the house

I didn't want to trip over everything trying to get to the light switch. It currently resides by the broom handle in the previous pic. I want to move it next to the door and have it on the outside of the room. Not trying to create more drywall work I got this fancy drill bit that let me drill through the two studs and into the box without taking out any extra drywall.

If you notice the new drywall is up but for some reason I guess I didn't take any pics with the new drywall. Also, I forgot about the lightswitch until all the drywall was up... so I had to pull down one piece to make it happen.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 10/06/2016 at 10:12 PM.
Unread 10/06/2016, 11:01 PM   #66
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Install the HRV

My basement is already pretty damp and it has your typical basement smell. I live in Colorado so other than a few days a year it is pretty dry outside, usually between 35% and 50% relative humidity. I decided to go the energy saving route of a whole house HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator). This should also get rid of the basement smell.

For those who don't know what a HRV is or does it's a ventilation system that swaps stale humid indoor air with fresh dry outdoor air. It passes the exchanged air through a heat exchanger and heats or cools (depending on season) the incoming air with the exhausted air.

I went with a Honeywell VNT5150H1000. It's a high quality unit that makes balancing the system easy as pie. It's quiet, has a defrost cycle, and has two filters. It require a fair amount of ducting depending on how you want to use it. I chose to pull stale air from the 3 basement rooms and return fresh air into the forced air HVAC system. This will remove the basement air and supply the whole house with fresh air.

Sitting on my office floor. I've been waiting for a while to buy this thing. I'm pretty excited!

You need two 6" ducts running to the outside, one for exhaust, one for intake. A little shout out to my drill, while it couldn't handle turning this 6.25" hole saw in the forward direction, it ran the hole saw backwards and cut through the wall with ease! Brushless Dewalt FTW!!

If I've learned one thing about my house... it is to measure 10 times, drill a small hole, remeasure. Here is where I wanted the first hole so I drilled the pilot from the inside out.

First hole done...

Second hole done...

Layers...

This is probably a perfect time to plug an old time favorite. I don't drink a lot of soda but I'm an 80s kid and loved this soda back in the day. Luckily the grocery store by my house has a steady supply of Crystal Pepsi if you know where to look I've had my fair share of it this summer while working on this stuff. It's Pepsi and it's clear Throw back thirsty!!

Unread 10/06/2016, 11:09 PM   #67
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Install the HRV... Continued

It also needed a 6" duct into the HVAC. Easy with left and right handed tin snips.

Intake, exhaust, and the 6" suction duct crossing the hallway from the furnace room into the filtration room. It's a tight fit!

Here is what the plumbing at the unit looks like... nothing to it

And a quick peek inside the unit.

Unread 10/06/2016, 11:25 PM   #68
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
My current checklist consists of...
Polish Glass Defects (Cerium Oxide )
Epoxy Fish Room Floor (linoleum is more probably)
Run 20a & 15a Electrical Circuits to tank.
Run 3x20a Circuits to fish room. (75% completed)
Install Shop Sink in Fishroom (It's now going into the furnace room.)
Fix Hammerheads
Standpipes, Drain, Return Plumbing
Plumb Skimmer
Fresh test Tank
Built Light Rack
Fill with RODI
Add Salt
Add Sand
Add Rock Vat in Fish Room
Run skimmer and GFO
Start to move LR from 360 Display
Move Sunburst Anemone Farm to Fish Room
Move Assorted BTA Farm into individual 20L systems in Fish Room.
Transfer Lighting from 360 Display and Assorted BTA Farm
Transfer Remaining Rubbermaid/Sump Liverock, ATO, Calcium Reactor, and Biopellets to Fish Room
Transfer Live Rock and Livestock from 360 Display
Move 4x4x12 Frag tank to basement.
Remove 360gal Display and its Remnants from 600gal Display room.
Build Dry Boxes and Install Vortechs
Cabinetry
Knocked a few things off the list and have a much better grasp on what I need to do.

Unread 10/07/2016, 03:31 PM   #69
biecacka
Registered Member

Looking good man!! Great call on the exchanger for the air. I also love the size of that skimmer......

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2016, 07:34 PM   #70
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Looking good man!! Great call on the exchanger for the air. I also love the size of that skimmer......

Corey
Thanks! The exchanger is great, really impressive how much air it moves. It took 3 minutes to balance and right now I'm running about 35% of capacity. The skimmer is pretty awesome, I should be able to keep the tank well fed

Unread 10/08/2016, 06:16 AM   #71
Reel North
New King of Quarantine

This is awesome.

I'm looking at doing a 400g system. Approvals pending but once I give her my office I can can take the treadmill room for a fish Room!

Can't wait to follow this build. Subscribed!

Current Tank Info: frag tank. Lame
Reel North is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2016, 10:47 AM   #72
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel North View Post
This is awesome.

I'm looking at doing a 400g system. Approvals pending but once I give her my office I can can take the treadmill room for a fish Room!

Can't wait to follow this build. Subscribed!

Thanks! Good luck with the approval system, I'm super fortunate in that department. She's doesn't get too involved but she likes the tanks and I also gave her an office

This is what I am going to do in the fish room. There are 2x60gal all in one tanks for fish QT, 6x20gal all in one tanks for my different BTA anemones, my 100gal frag tank (currently houses btas), my sunburst bta farm, the sump, skimmer, and water mixing station.

The RODI is across the hall in the furnace room as is the sink.

I have a few thousand lbs of live rock that will go underneath the frag tank but I will need to find a 46x46x20 or so square container that fits under it for that to work out.

Here's a sketch.

Unread 10/08/2016, 05:22 PM   #73
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Everything looks great Mark! Apologies on not being able to help more, school is really ramping up. And my phone crapped out, so if I haven't responded to texts I'm not ignoring you
I'd love to come out and see the progress and help out soon!

Unread 10/11/2016, 12:21 PM   #74
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Everything looks great Mark! Apologies on not being able to help more, school is really ramping up. And my phone crapped out, so if I haven't responded to texts I'm not ignoring you
I'd love to come out and see the progress and help out soon!
Thanks! No worries man. Get a new phone

You totally dodged a bullet. The pump on the media reactor I let you borrow malfunctioned. I lost all the sps in my QT . When digging around trying to find a cause I pulled it out and the pump was almost too hot to touch. It precipitated the the alk/calc out of the water. 9dkh to ~3.2 in a day. Everything in that tank that survived is super ****ed.

Unread 10/11/2016, 01:13 PM   #75
slief
RC Sponsor

Very very nice!! Looks like it's coming along quite nicely! Can't wait to see this tank and fish room once you have it all done!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote