Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2018, 06:31 PM   #51
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
Jimmy,
The way copps explained the the kydex is basically like cutting drywall. Measure the sides, score it with a razorblade, snap it, and you have clean edges. He only mentions bowing it to get around his colonies. He also uses magnets to keep in place. Once I have my 400 going I'm going to try it out.

As far as the exhaust fan , no I do not use one. However I'm a service fitter that's been doing commercial/industrial HVAC for 20 years. I have seen people trying to use exhaust fans for temp/ humidity in computer rooms and typically it doesn't work well. I'd say the average humidity controlled rooms are around 35%. How big is the area you are trying to exhaust? And where is the stat located?
The room is 120 sq ft

Quote:
Is your ceiling is still open? By looking at your pics I'd guess those are two 3 ton condensers sitting outside. You could run a return duct in the space and use what you have for dehum. Living in Az I bet those things run a lot through the year. Then you could use the ex fan as a second stage.
close, one is a 5 ton and the other is 3.5. The house is 2 story and both evap units are in the attic on the 2nd floor, and for what ever reason the return ducts are up there as well, although the one for downstairs is on the vaulted ceiling. I wouldn't have been able to put a return duct in there without some serious renovation. I did tie into the HVAC for that room, I put a 10x4 register up there roughly 2 feet behind where the back of the tank will sit. But after doing so I read that it wont make a difference because of how hot that room will get, if the house is 72 degrees the equipment room can still be 90.

But the good news is, after researching it a bit more I went ahead and piped an exhaust duct for a portable AC unit solely for that room. And the theory goes that in the summer, the AC will be running quite often keeping the humidity down, and in the cooler months rely on the exhaust fan.

The humidity sensor is in the most open space that I could put it to give me the best average which will be over past where the tank is going to sit, in the back side of the room.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 10:42 PM   #52
Sisterlimonpot

The last piece of the puzzle arrived in the mail on saturday which allowed me to move towards closing up the walls.

The piece I needed was for the air conditioning hook up, that little white plastic thing in the middle.

I made the box for it so that it will sit recessed in the wall enough in order for a door to close on it to cover it up when not in use.

On the inside of the wall, this is what will tie into the duct work that routes it to the outside

And I completed hanging the drywall, towards the end I wasn't too motivated to continue to measure and cut the pieces to fit... it started to become mundane

Tomorrow it's taping and mudding time... that's not going to be fun for me either...

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/09/2018, 06:10 AM   #53
halmus
Registered Member

Great progress. I don’t envy the drywall work you have ahead of you.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 06:18 AM   #54
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
McPuff,
I see that you inquired about this in earlier thread, did you ever do it?
I actually just ended up painting the back of the tank. It was quick and easy. The problem I'm having now is a little salt creep along one corner that is actually causing the paint to bubble off. It's not really noticeable from the front but still kind of annoying.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 04:28 PM   #55
dwolson2
Registered Member

Love the ro lines

Current Tank Info: 220 in progress
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 10:33 AM   #56
Sisterlimonpot

A few more touch ups, sand it and texture!!

Once that's all done, I can paint and move on to the floor.

I discussed waterproofing with a reefer buddy of mine out in california (he's the same guy that has built an entire building dedicated to his obsession), because I was trying to make sense out of why I need to waterproof the entire room if there's a door way in which the water is going to run out anyway. I couldn't judge his demeanor when we text back and forth, but it sounded like he was questioning that too. He suggested that I seal the tile really well and be done with it.

That was pretty much the line of reasoning I was using as well. However, I'm going to take it step further, even though I sloped the concrete step to channel water away from the walls, the step is going to be right under the tank. I want to be assured that if water collects there, it's not going to soak in. I have some experience with this felt type water barrier that is used in showers made by a German company called schluter kerdi it's an amazing product, it's applied with unmodified thinset and once cured it can hold water like a container. I'm going to line the floor and wall with this stuff, all the way around where the tank sits. that way if/when a leak accurs, i'm ready for it. The bad news is, I was late to order it, so it will take 10 days to get to me....

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/12/2018, 02:36 PM   #57
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Progress is looking good. Even though you are in a dry climate, I think you are still going to have some humidity issues in that room. remember my tank, that was enclosed? I had the windows behind the tank I could open and air it out? Well I still had some humidity issues in there. With all of the water movement, you will get a bit of evaporation which will be your humidity issue.

Plan for Tonopah is in August, Vegas to Reno race. I'll keep in touch and let you know as we get closer.

I got a few text from Derrick last weekend as I was coming back from the Baja race. Looks like he's picking up a 220 to install in his new house out in Florida.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 05:44 PM   #58
Fylerb
Registered Member

Looking awesome can't wait to see this complete

Fylerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 07:22 PM   #59
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
Progress is looking good. Even though you are in a dry climate, I think you are still going to have some humidity issues in that room. remember my tank, that was enclosed? I had the windows behind the tank I could open and air it out? Well I still had some humidity issues in there. With all of the water movement, you will get a bit of evaporation which will be your humidity issue.

Plan for Tonopah is in August, Vegas to Reno race. I'll keep in touch and let you know as we get closer.

I got a few text from Derrick last weekend as I was coming back from the Baja race. Looks like he's picking up a 220 to install in his new house out in Florida.
Yeah, he sent me a text too. He's moving into his new house tomorrow and picking up the tank next week... it's good to see the old guys get back into it. Now we need the old old guy (you) to get back into it as well!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fylerb View Post
Looking awesome can't wait to see this complete
Thanks, me too!!!!

Painted

I still need to paint the ceiling, but I need to go purchase the paint, I thought I had some... After the all has been painted I get to move on to tiling the floor.

It's getting really close to moving the tank in. I'm going to start a thread in the DIY section, but maybe you guys can help as well, the tank is 96" long and I'm going to build a wooden stand for it. I want to be able to have ful access from the rear which means I don't want to have any upright supports in the middle, if there are any engineers reading.... what do I need for upper rails? Keep in mind the front is supported with uprights every 16". What do I need for the rear???

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/12/2018, 07:47 PM   #60
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Build a manufactured I beam out of a 2X6 or 2X8.

Every once in a while, I look on CL to see if there is a good deal on a set up. Then I go back and work on my off road toy and forget about it. Maybe one day.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Unread 04/12/2018, 07:53 PM   #61
Sisterlimonpot

My concern is that even a 2x8 won't be strong enough to have the proper deflection. I could be completely wrong (more than often I am). I just don't want to start filling it with water and realize that I need to add a center upright. I guess I can go with another glue laminate that will support 10 of my tanks, but I want to know what the minimum size necessary is so that I don't completely over do it. the thicker I go, the less space I have underneath.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/12/2018, 08:13 PM   #62
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Take a 2X4, machine it flat and square, then machine a groove down the middle of the 4" face, about 1/3 of the way in depth.
Use that for the top and bottom.
Machine the 2X6 or 2X8 square. Then glue it in the groove and clamp.
That should hold it and make it strong enough not to flex. Worse case is a single support in the middle.
Or do a steel I beam.

Best quote ever!

Unread 04/12/2018, 08:27 PM   #63
Nate77
Registered Member

This is awesome love how you put everything in the walls ,looks so clean!!!

Nate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 09:55 PM   #64
Sisterlimonpot

I definitely considered a metal beam as well. My wife said, make the whole stand out of metal. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that isn't necessary.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/13/2018, 03:31 AM   #65
dwolson2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
Build a manufactured I beam out of a 2X6 or 2X8.

Every once in a while, I look on CL to see if there is a good deal on a set up. Then I go back and work on my off road toy and forget about it. Maybe one day.

Why not just pick up a 50 cube?' Those are easy to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 220 in progress
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 08:12 AM   #66
McPuff
Registered Member

Just make the stand out of metal. It looks great and it'll provide you with peace of mind. The 2 x 8" is certainly strong enough though.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 07:29 PM   #67
Sisterlimonpot

Things are moving along nicely, I have the ceilings painted and most of the tile done.

That's it for today, tomorrow I will finish the tile up to the point that I'm still waiting on the schluter kerdi.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:22 PM   #68
Billabong
Registered Member

Is that wood tile? Fancy for a fish room.

Billabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 08:34 PM   #69
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
Why not just pick up a 50 cube?' Those are easy to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I keep looking. Wife ask about it every once in a while.
Maybe one day.

Best quote ever!

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:37 PM   #70
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
Is that wood tile? Fancy for a fish room.
Indeed, a year and a half ago we decided to remove all carpet from downstairs and replace it with tile. 8 months after that decision we finally agreed on the tile that complimented the existing tile in the house and we purchased enough to do roughly 1200 sq ft.

A sitting room, dining room, exercise room, guest bedroom, a closet and the equipment room.

Keep in mind that when we decide to sell the house I want to convert that room back into a slightly bigger closet. Or a room for the step child.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/15/2018, 10:15 AM   #71
Sisterlimonpot

The waterproofing membrane made it here in perfect timing. I was almost at a stand still,

This is the trowel that the company recommends to provide a thin layer of thinset in between to provide good adhesion.

I went 4" up the wall, if any water leaks and collects on the step, it isn't going to seep into the walls, it will either sit there until I clean it up or if I did things right is will slope down and onto the froor.

A little clean up and later this evening I can but in the grout.

Just a little more insight of how I'm going to keep water from seeping into any other wall that is on ground surface. I always have to keep in the back of my mind that when it's time to take the tank down, that room has to be converted back into a closet. The gaps where the floor and wall meet are going to be filled with spray foam which is more to keep the bugs out, immediately after the foam has been sprayed and before it expands, I nail the base board down. Then I caulk the top AND bottom of the base board to seal the floor, keeping any standing water from making its way to the walls. If I do all this correctly, in the event of a flood the way that the room is sightly sloped, I'm guessing it will collect in the back of the room. In a catastrophic failure, nothing is going to help, I'll just be squeegee-ing water outside... hehe.

I'd like to think that the room will be completely done by Tuesday (2days), which means I can finally turn my attention to the tank. That's what most of you guys are wanting any way, I know that's what I'm ready for. After all this isn't "Home Renovation Central", it's "Reef Central"!!

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/15/2018, 11:55 AM   #72
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
After all this isn't "Home Renovation Central", it's "Reef Central"!!

I’ll speak for myself and say that I appreciate the “Home Renovation Central” as much as the rest of the build to come. All of the little tricks of the trade we share help people with future builds. I know a lot of my build came from reading past successes and failures. That included the room prep as much as the actual tank build itself. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 12:18 PM   #73
fishguy597
Registered Member

Looking great keep up the good work. I agree with Halmus it s funny with all the home renovations we do for our tanks. I'm pretty much redoing my whole first floor to get ready for my tank as well.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:33 AM   #74
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

Wow Jimmy. You're really making progress. I love the attention to detail. You're setup should be awesome once it's complete!

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 10:08 AM   #75
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
I’ll speak for myself and say that I appreciate the “Home Renovation Central” as much as the rest of the build to come. All of the little tricks of the trade we share help people with future builds. I know a lot of my build came from reading past successes and failures. That included the room prep as much as the actual tank build itself. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
Thanks, I think most of what I said was out of frustration that I haven't focused on anything tank related yet and want this part of the build to be complete. A lot of what I have done has been a culmination of what I have read with my own twist.

Quote:
Looking great keep up the good work. I agree with Halmus it s funny with all the home renovations we do for our tanks. I'm pretty much redoing my whole first floor to get ready for my tank as well.
I'm glad i'm not the only one. I have done a few other things in conjunction with this room which made the house look like a disaster of tools and material, it definitely takes a tole. We had friends over last night for dinner and they were amazed at the transformation. So at least people are seeing forward momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawCJack00 View Post
Wow Jimmy. You're really making progress. I love the attention to detail. You're setup should be awesome once it's complete!
It's definitely getting there, I posted a thread in the DIY section asking for the proper header for the back of the stand. It attracted some engineers who gave me the information needed to get the right size lumber for the job. All I have to do is make my way to the lumber yard and discuss options. Next big step is getting the stand built and prepped.

Dishes are done man!