Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2018, 03:24 PM   #51
ECreefer
Registered Member

Tank is looking awesome! Can’t wait to see more! I’m interested in building a plywood tank this size as well, so will be learning a lot from this.

One thing, that I don’t think anyone mentioned/probably too late to, is that there is not front access to the tank. I have an in wall tank that’s 36” front to back and it’s the biggest pain to clean because I didn’t add front access. Definitely not as desirable looking but I will be adding front access to my next in wall, especially 4’ front to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ECreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 03:41 PM   #52
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECreefer View Post
Tank is looking awesome! Can’t wait to see more! I’m interested in building a plywood tank this size as well, so will be learning a lot from this.

One thing, that I don’t think anyone mentioned/probably too late to, is that there is not front access to the tank. I have an in wall tank that’s 36” front to back and it’s the biggest pain to clean because I didn’t add front access. Definitely not as desirable looking but I will be adding front access to my next in wall, especially 4’ front to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did not opt to have front access of the tank. It wasnt really a option because the wall the tank is being built into is a 2x6 load baring wall in the house. The header that was used above the tank is 3ply 16" LVL spanning the 10' for the tank. There just wasnt enough room after putting in the header to put good access to the tank. Im going to actually have a rail system on wheels so i can lay over the top of the tank and reach the front glass. I imagine this the opposite of a mechanic working under a car. Ill just be working over a fish tank.....I dont have this built yet so things can change, but for now something like that is the plan.

INDMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 800 Gallon Inwall
Atomic081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 03:54 PM   #53
Atomic081
Registered Member

GLASS DAY!!!!!

I went this morning and got the glass. Big shout out to Chuck at Henry County Glass. He gave me a good deal and let me borrow his van to transport the glass. Saved me quite a bit of money.

I used RVT108 silicone as a adhesive between the glass and the tank lip. Its supposed to be better than standard silicone. It was dry to the touch after about a hour. I also put small tile spacers in the silicone. The spacers are 1/8 inch tall. This made sure that the weight of the glass didnt squeeze all the silicone out, leaving me with a minimum of 1/8 inch behind the glass.

41d-Qihw-Md5-L

The glass is 3/4 inch tempered. It weighed about 250 lbs. It wasnt too difficult for 4 guys to lift into place. Using suction cups we layed it into place. I was extremely nervous about this part. Im very happy with the outcome today. Now i only need to get past a leak test and ill be able to sleep at night again!!!!

20181030-102744

20181030-102758

20181030-152008

Tomorrow we will flip the tank over and put the it in its final resting place. Then i can start building the walls around it and plumbing it. Hopefully soon after that i can get the walls foamed in......

INDMAS Member

Unread 10/30/2018, 06:00 PM   #54
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

This is at the point where I can't wait for what comes next. PLEASE PLEASE don't leave us hanging!!!

Looking great!! I also opted out of a front access for my tank but it's only 30" from front to back, It didn't take long for me to get used to it. The only thing is that the fish know when it's feeding time because I open the door to the equipment room.

And if you followed my build, you would know that I created a rail system for the lights, but to this day, I haven't needed to move the lights out of the way for access. Hence, I'll probably opt out of automating it.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 06:24 AM   #55
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
This is at the point where I can't wait for what comes next. PLEASE PLEASE don't leave us hanging!!!

Looking great!! I also opted out of a front access for my tank but it's only 30" from front to back, It didn't take long for me to get used to it. The only thing is that the fish know when it's feeding time because I open the door to the equipment room.

And if you followed my build, you would know that I created a rail system for the lights, but to this day, I haven't needed to move the lights out of the way for access. Hence, I'll probably opt out of automating it.
Thanks! Ill check out the rail system you built, Im not sure about the automated rail system just yet. Ill probably add one if needed, but hopefully it wont be needed. I just dont wana touch the MH lights when im cleaning the tank.

SO...... This happened on Halloween with my kids!!!!

I was also able to build the back walls around the tank. I was really worried about this but after seeing it built, I think its WAY overbuilt.

Foam guys come in today or tomorrow. then im gonna do a leak test later this week!!!!!!

INDMAS Member

Unread 11/06/2018, 08:20 AM   #56
McPuff
Registered Member

What makes you say it's overbuilt? :0)

Hey, I'd rather feel that way than wonder if it's good enough. Looks really good to me!!

Great pic of the kids.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2018, 02:35 PM   #57
Sisterlimonpot

I haven't done any major maintenance on the tank yet, and it is nice that I have the option, but I'm certain that I wont automate it.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 11/06/2018, 07:08 PM   #58
Atomic081
Registered Member

The insulation guy didnt come today, I starting really looking into it and if they foam around all the return/overflow drains, It could really be a bear if I have problems down the road. So he is holding off for a few weeks until i get the tank up and running and if i then decided i want it foamed, then he will come back. I did glue between all the wall studs and the tank so that any gaps are now filled with glue.

I started to frame in the viewing holes on the back side of the tank today and drilled for my return lines. Im getting more silicone in tomorrow and will mount the glass and overflows in the next few days and do the leak test this weekend while im around the whole day....not that im worried...

INDMAS Member

Unread 11/12/2018, 03:04 AM   #59
YoeriVandaele
Registered Member

Hi,

I think you build is nice. The sides and back are nice and strong. No overbuild in my opinion.
You can enjoy having a support for your body when you work in the tank in the future.

The only thing that concerns me a little bit is a possible bowing of your glass window.
Maybe it's just not clear in the pictures, but I don't see any support on the long side of the glass??

My tank is all glass, but it's holded together in a metal frame on the top with welded small bars to keep the glass from bowing. It put in a picture to make it more clear.

Maybe you can weld one or two bars from the glass to the back side to cover this?

Kind regards,
Yoeri

YoeriVandaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 03:05 AM   #60
YoeriVandaele
Registered Member

sorry, forgot the picture:

YoeriVandaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 04:06 PM   #61
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoeriVandaele View Post
Hi,

I think you build is nice. The sides and back are nice and strong. No overbuild in my opinion.
You can enjoy having a support for your body when you work in the tank in the future.

The only thing that concerns me a little bit is a possible bowing of your glass window.
Maybe it's just not clear in the pictures, but I don't see any support on the long side of the glass??

My tank is all glass, but it's holded together in a metal frame on the top with welded small bars to keep the glass from bowing. It put in a picture to make it more clear.

Maybe you can weld one or two bars from the glass to the back side to cover this?

Kind regards,
Yoeri

Currently the glass is sitting in a hole up against the 2x6 wall. The wall is a supporting wall that holds the main floor of the house and the roof structure. So the wall shouldn't move. I also was told i only needed 5/8" annealed glass for this front wall but chose to go with 3/4" tempered glass (4x stronger than annealed).

All the being said, I appriciate the suggestion!!! It is a concern of mine and i have considered something like this. I saw a tank the same size as mine yesterday at a fish store in chicago. They also had bars like yours in the middle. Im going to look into the bars as i had only before looked into making it out of wood. The tank in chicago only had 1 1/2" thick side walls where mine will be 5" on the sides and 7" on the back. Do you think the bars that you have above yours could hold your body weight. I might consider this more if I could use them to support my weight as i try to clean the front glass.

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/01/2018, 03:36 PM   #62
Atomic081
Registered Member

Its been a month since i last updated and alot has happen. Good and BADDD.
I cut in back panels, installed overflow boxes, had and employee scratch my glass, and finally did a water test (nothing bad to report thankfully)

I cut all my holes for overflows, returns,and the rear viewing panels. Then epoxied the holes and everything that could come in contact with water on a semi consistent basis. This included the back upper panel of the wall between the tank and the family room and the top of the wall surrounding the tank. Im considering doing another coat before its all said and done also.

20181115-153507

20181115-153523

20181115-153455

20181115-153449

I then picked up more live rock and a total of 700lbs of sand. The Sand fills up a 55g barrel. The live rock fills up 3 55g barrels. I am currently bleaching the rock and ive rinsed out the sand as best I could. Should I bleach the sand also?

20181201-112937

20181201-112945

Now to the BAD!!!
One of my employees was doing some touch up painting around the front of the tank. The front plywood needed sanding so he decided to use a palm sander on the wood. He never should have gotten close enough to the glass to scratch it, but somehow he did. He put a swirl about 1/8 inch wide all the way around the whole tank. Its hard to get a picture, but its very noticeable to me!!! I know he didn't mean to do it, but i was sick when i saw it. Ive called up my glass guy and he has a big sander for just this type of thing. So before I fill it up for good, my employee has offered to come on a weekend and fix it for me.

You can see the scratch right in the middle of this picture
20181116-112338

20181116-112353

INDMAS Member

Last edited by Atomic081; 12/01/2018 at 03:46 PM.
Unread 12/01/2018, 03:37 PM   #63
Atomic081
Registered Member

Last week i got the glass installed on the back viewing area and finished some of the drains and electrical. Im waiting on the internet to get installed in the house to setup my smart things switches.
20181129-144952

20181130-174531

20181130-174607

20181201-141712

Finally I have water!!!!!
I just did a leak test yesterday and after 28 hours things are all good. I hope to have all the plumbing up and running on monday to test the rest of the plumbing.

20181130-144952

20181130-155811

20181130-174328

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/01/2018, 10:36 PM   #64
biecacka
Registered Member

Very impressive so far.
I love the ballasts attached to the ceiling- great idea

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 10:32 AM   #65
Lytehouse
seeker of knowledge

Crazy cool to see all the work and prep you've put in.
I'm sure your employee is heart sick. Good to give him a chance to fix it

The challenge is the fun.
Lytehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 12:33 PM   #66
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Very impressive so far.
I love the ballasts attached to the ceiling- great idea

Corey
Thanks! It only seemed logical to keep the ballasts up high. I just hope humility wont be a issue.

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/03/2018, 12:40 PM   #67
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytehouse View Post
Crazy cool to see all the work and prep you've put in.
I'm sure your employee is heart sick. Good to give him a chance to fix it
I almost threw up when I saw the scratch. He is a great guy and didnt mean any harm. Im just glad its able to be fixed.

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/04/2018, 08:44 AM   #68
McPuff
Registered Member

Did you just use clamps or 2x4s to hold the small panes of glass in place? It will be so cool to look through those once you've got it all running. I love to have those alternate viewing angles. Good idea to add them.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 08:31 PM   #69
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Did you just use clamps or 2x4s to hold the small panes of glass in place? It will be so cool to look through those once you've got it all running. I love to have those alternate viewing angles. Good idea to add them.
I just siliconed the small panes in place. I used a 2x4 to hold them up off the bottom of the tank.

Its been almost 10 days with water and 3 days with the pump running. Fresh water test has been a success. My pump did have a bad seal. I replaced it and still have a small leak. hopefully i don't need a new pump. We move into the new house next week. After Christmas ill start with the rock wall.

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/11/2018, 09:30 PM   #70
Atomic081
Registered Member

I got the cabinets installed in the fish room. Im really happy with how much room I have. I hope to paint the cabinets the same color as the stands. That will happen later though.

The Tank ran with fresh water for 3 days. The only leak was a small one in the reeflo hammerhead. I hope i can get it fixed without getting a new pump.

We move into the house this weekend
So ill have much more time in the evenings to work on the tank. I doubt i start the rock wall until after Christmas.

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/27/2018, 10:32 AM   #71
Atomic081
Registered Member

WE ARE MOVED IN!!!!!!

Christmas also gave me a little time to work on the tank this week and evening after the kids go to bed are my fish tank time (unless its wife time )

I was able to move all the live rock that was outside inside my "safe room". Its a room off my fish room that has 8" of concrete on all sides. In all actuality, it was cheaper to make the room than it was to fill it up with pea gravel to pour the front porch. So i have plenty of storage.

20181218-145616

I then put 3 of the 55g barrels in the final resting place.

20181218-221334

I then got the back of the tank skinned and the foldable walkboard installed. Also added plugs on the wall on a GFCI. These will be for my powerheads.

20181227-104223
20181227-104153

Got some Salt for Christmas!!! (Still need more )
20181210-100555

Finally a FTS in the basement Family room. I still am going to build a bar behind the couch that the 4 bar stool sit behind. This should give eating space during ballgames or watching movies.

20181215-191936

Last but not least!!!!! My new MERMAN!!!!!!

Not really, its just me in the tank before I drained the freshwater leak test. 3 weeks and no leaks, not even a hint of bowing in the walls or glass.

20181222-203350

20181222-203156

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/27/2018, 10:39 AM   #72
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Amazing setup! Jealous!

You know you've made it when you can swim in your own aquarium…

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 03:51 PM   #73
Atomic081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Amazing setup! Jealous!

You know you've made it when you can swim in your own aquarium…
Thank you so much!!! I have put alot of hard work into the tank so far and there is still a long way to go. Im very pleased so far though.

INDMAS Member

Unread 12/28/2018, 05:20 PM   #74
Sisterlimonpot

Very Nice!!! I wish I could swim in my measly 300 gallon tank like that..

Dishes are done man!

Unread 12/28/2018, 08:47 PM   #75
d-man
Registered Member

Great build and the interior room looks beautiful as well.

Yeah my 8x4x4’ plywood is now 8weeks old. Of course I had the obligatory in tank swim pic as well.

Can’t wait to see your aquascape

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote