Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2008, 08:08 PM   #126
mr&mrsfish
Registered Member

The "drain the tank" method just worked for catching my elusive six-line wrasse. It took about 1 hour to complete the entire process.

I had been struggling to catch the wrasse for over three months. I was resigned to the fact a complete live rock tear down was in order. Thanks to this thread, my six-line is now going through hyposalinity. My tank should finally be ich free in another six weeks. Thanks Anthony!

mr&mrsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2008, 09:19 PM   #127
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
And for those impossible critters to get out there's always the mini version of a hawaiian sling. Cruel but functional.
what's the hawaiian sling

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2008, 01:55 PM   #128
joesynodontis
Registered Member

great ideas, I like the trap with the feeding tube. if that is not pattented it would be a good candidate for manufacturing. this is the best thread for capture traps

Current Tank Info: 150g acrylic tall true reeftank 45g sump/fuge, jbj1/3 hp arctica, 2x korelia 4, T5 lights 48 ich 54 watt x8, skimmer , uv, little giant 3 external pump. CoraLife LED 29g Biocube Reef.
joesynodontis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2008, 10:32 AM   #129
Æonic
Registered Member

Divide and Conquer

I've used this a couple times. Obviously it's situational. Apologies if already mentioned.

Get a piece of acrylic large enough to span the tank in its smallest dimension.

Chase the target to one side of the tank or the other, and seal off the escape route to the other side of the tank with the acrylic. The larger space you can eliminate, the better this will work.

Once placed, depending on your rockwork, you can transfer rocks, etc out and over the edge of the acrylic to the other side, and move the acrylic toward the edge until your target is helpless and exposed.

Obviously with larger tanks and rocks not designed to be moved, this method can be tricky, but you can often isolate a corner and make the job a lot easier.

I think what helps is the fish appear unable to see the acrylic in the water, so they can't avoid it.

Æonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2008, 11:48 AM   #130
icy1155
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn1
so how do u get anomemes off of rocks safely?
Ive found that rubbing an ice cube on their foot slowly and gently pushing on the edge of the foot with the ice cube works well. I have removed 4 bubble tip anemones from my tank this way and not one has died.

icy1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2008, 09:16 AM   #131
coralnut99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Æonic
Divide and Conquer

I've used this a couple times. Obviously it's situational. Apologies if already mentioned.

Get a piece of acrylic large enough to span the tank in its smallest dimension.

Chase the target to one side of the tank or the other, and seal off the escape route to the other side of the tank with the acrylic. The larger space you can eliminate, the better this will work.

Once placed, depending on your rockwork, you can transfer rocks, etc out and over the edge of the acrylic to the other side, and move the acrylic toward the edge until your target is helpless and exposed.

Obviously with larger tanks and rocks not designed to be moved, this method can be tricky, but you can often isolate a corner and make the job a lot easier.

I think what helps is the fish appear unable to see the acrylic in the water, so they can't avoid it.
The key I think is how tight the rock work is. A variation on this idea might be to just set a good size acrylic sheet near a corner, and just try to corral the fish in a front corner where there's usually fewer obstcales, etc. But I've seen some tanks with rocks within inches of the front glass in the corners, which would still require moving some rocks.

Current Tank Info: way too much to list, and still adding more!
coralnut99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2008, 05:59 PM   #132
hobobob
Registered Member

test post

hobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2008, 01:15 AM   #133
CHIEF GR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
CATCHING SPIKY/PRICKLY CRITTERS

Prodded by Jeff's inquiry above... I add this entry for spiney creatures like bristle/fireworms and some shrimp & stomatopods (mantis).

For these various opportunistic omnivores with spiney aspects to their bodies, we can use it to our advantage to snare them.

With or without the various traps you will hear about in this thread and beyond, you can often snag one of these creatures by using a bit of (boiled to sterilize) ladies nylon stocking or the like.

Tie a small satchel of fragrant food like shrimp in the baggie of nylon (coin sized portion at most). Then tie a bit of string to the bag leading out of the aquarium (the string... not the bag of food - that stays in the aquarium ). Remember to clean oil off of fishing string if used (fishing line may be lubricated for reels in advance)

With this nylon satchel of stinky food inside a trap or not, the omnivorous scavengers are attracted to it overnight and often get snared in the nylon with their spiney aspects.

For the shrimp that will drag or pull the bait into a cave or crevice by daylight... you have the string to lead you there/where.
I am trying to catch a large crab in my aquarium which i suspect is the reason why my gobby dissapeared. The above method seems reasonable but i am not sure i understood how it works. Is the objective to get the crab in the nylon stocking or will they get stuck on the outside trying to eat the food just as easily?

Thanks, great thread!

CHIEF GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2008, 12:38 PM   #134
rps042657
Registered Member

Last night I caught one Damsel, one Blue Tang and one yellow Tang at the same time in less than one minute.
Well, the one minute took 4 days.
One day to build the acrylic trap and 3 days just letting it hang in the tank.
I built it with a solid feeding tube attached to the top rear of the box. For three days I would feed the tank thru the tube. On the fourth day I dropped in a spoonful of brine shrimp and the three fish were the first ones in eating. Just dropped the door closed. Worked great.

rps042657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2008, 08:59 AM   #135
Jadran
Registered Member

cool, Im glad it worked for you too. I got many pms over the last 3 years about it. Since I have this trap catching display fishes instead of frustration became fun to us.. Feeding tube is just so helpful, IME traps without it wont work nearly that good.

Current Tank Info: 120g anemone tank
Jadran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2008, 09:13 AM   #136
rps042657
Registered Member

A trap with a feeding tube is the only way to go. Never have to spook the fish. Even made a feeding stick to put Nori in the trap.
Thanks again.

rps042657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 10:04 PM   #137
defib
Premium Member

The trap with the feeding tube is slick... I've used a specimen container that I have dropped in the tank and then chased the fish into but that sounds so much easier. Thanks for the great pics.

defib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 05:16 AM   #138
Xler8n
Registered Member

Just used the Blind 'N' Snatch method (thats what im calling it) on my 4inch Hippo Tang. It worked like a charm. I missed the first time with the net but she was still disoriented so i scopped her the second time only toppling my moti capricornis. It broke off the rock, gonna need some super glue. But I CAUGHT HER!!! Im going to have to invest in one of those fish traps or make one but if you dont have one this method works like a charm.. Thanks Anthony

Xler8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 02:08 PM   #139
NoProbelm
Registered Member

One n Done!

All the previous methods are a waste of TIME! Sure if you have all day, every day, waiting and waiting the previous methods will work; but who has the TIME?

Simple Solution: Clean a Wet/Dry ShopVac, and place the business end in your tank, wait for the target species to swim past… all the while having a family member/friend on standby ready to flip the switch when you scream NOW!

Wham-Bam Thankyou-Ma’am!

NoProbelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2013, 12:47 PM   #140
Wingman6
Registered Member

One thing that has worked quite well goes along the lines of night time. I have adjustable LEDs so this is easy, but i would guess you could buy some red LEDs and use them as a flashlight.

If you kill all the lights in the room so it is pitch black, the fish will go to their spots and all the inverts will start to come out. Throw on the red LEDs and you can see great but fish can't see red (or so i think). Now it is just a matter of getting the net near your fish or helping them with something to push them toward a container.

When doing this, i have seen fish bump into rocks, the glass, and allow me to get right next to them and not know it. Also a decent way of pulling out inverts as they come out all over the rocks.

Just figured i'd throw this out there.

Wingman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2015, 08:10 AM   #141
jgraz
Registered Member

Hate to drag out an old thread, but How big of a DT would you guys think is to big for the drain method? I have a 180DT and a rouge Powder Blue that needs to go.

jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2015, 02:52 PM   #142
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

This dude loves Nori. I put the trap in and each day for 3 days I moved the nori closer. On the day he was caught I put the nori in the trap.

Whammo....finally caught! Now the hippo is in a 260 gallon tank. The LFS sold me the Regal for my 90 gallon display. he was 3/4" in November. Now he's 4" and FAT.

Good luck!

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 07:24 PM   #143
codyreed29
Registered Member

I'd like to try and catch out a pistol shrimp and goby from my 56 to put in a smaller tank.

I'm tired of having to force ahrimp pieces and turn everything off so they can get food.

Best way to trap them?

Doesn't help that my goby lost one of its eyes and only has one to see food.

Unread 10/22/2015, 07:31 AM   #144
pilot.darren
Registered Member

i agree divide works awesome

pilot.darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2016, 09:04 AM   #145
vashawn
Registered Member

planning to do this sat
The DRAIN METHOD + dividing the tank

Current Tank Info: 300gal reef
vashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 08:11 PM   #146
MrDaniel
Registered Member

I've used a fishing hook (size 26 - aka extremely small) and a chunky Mysis shrimp to catch a 5" foxface that all of a sudden started to consume 25 polyps of zoanthids a day. He was the largest fish in the tank and I selectively targeted him with his favorite food. It worked extremely well and once I had the foxface in the sump he was eating again in a matter of minutes.

MrDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 04:59 AM   #147
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniel View Post
I've used a fishing hook (size 26 - aka extremely small) and a chunky Mysis shrimp to catch a 5" foxface that all of a sudden started to consume 25 polyps of zoanthids a day. He was the largest fish in the tank and I selectively targeted him with his favorite food. It worked extremely well and once I had the foxface in the sump he was eating again in a matter of minutes.
Did you leave the barb on the hook?

Unread 11/30/2016, 10:26 AM   #148
Justin330
Registered Member

Lol glad to see I'm not the only one who has tried a small hook and bait... I have used 2 liter to trap them also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Justin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 01:38 AM   #149
Zatoichi
Registered Member

To catch crabs and shrimp I use a tall glass vase with some enticing pedals at the

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 01:40 AM   #150
Zatoichi
Registered Member

oops enticing vittlesLOL

I have also constructed my own fish traps out of egg crate and zip ties if you starve the fish out and leave the trap in there then introduce food to the Trap after a few days they will usually be had quite quickly :-)

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote