Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2012, 09:34 AM   #1
rrasco
Registered Member

Reeflo Snapper Leaking

I woke up this morning to find my snapper slowly leaking from the shaft area. I have sent an email to reeflo to see what they say. I have only been using this pump for a few days, I bought it second hand a few months ago. I used it for several tests without problem and the pump was fine since Saturday. I'm assuming it's probably the seals that need to be replaced? I'm going to see what reeflo can do for me, but I may be running out to buy a new pump if I can find one locally. Wouldn't mind having a brand new one. Good thing this tank is only cycling, won't be horrible having the pump off for a bit.

While we're talking about it, how hot are these pumps supposed to get? Mine is not burning, but it's too hot for me to keep my hand on.

Unread 02/21/2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Rploaded
Registered Member

Call them, you might be able to limp it through until you can get the part replaced... My.02

Rploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 11:09 AM   #3
rrasco
Registered Member

Reeflo responded within half an hour, talk about a response time! They said it's most likely the seals that I can buy for $25 shipped. In the mean time, I did order a new pump just so I can benchmark the new one against my old one. I think the old one was louder than it should have been. We'll see. What I plan to do is order two sets of seals, replace the bad ones on the old pump so I have a spare and keep an extra set in case the new pump ever needs them. Never hurts to have spare parts/pumps lying around.

I had to drain the sump, even with the pump off it was still leaking. Good thing I padded the area around the pump with towels before I went to work.

Unread 03/22/2012, 03:57 PM   #4
aldiaz33
Registered Member

How's the new pump working out? Any issues with the seals?

2 suggestions so that you never have to drain a sump to change out a pump again.

1. Install a true union ball valve between your sump and the pump.
2. If the bulkhead fitting is threaded, use a Male Pipe Threaded plug and screw into the interior of the sump side of the bulkhead (a plug will cost you less than a buck and can come in very handy).

aldiaz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 04:02 PM   #5
rrasco
Registered Member

Long story short, bought new pump, it leaked as well. Reeflo sent two sets of seals, replaced on new pump, still leaked, replaced on old pump, fixed that one. Reeflo then sent new impeller for new pump, that fixed new pump. I did have a true union valve between the sump and pump, but it was hard to turn. It has since gotten easier. This is all a moot point today as my 210 cracked down the front yesterday. Either way, Reeflo really excelled at taking care of this problem.

Unread 03/22/2012, 05:15 PM   #6
James77
Registered Member

Wow man, you 0`

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 05:17 PM   #7
rrasco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Wow man, you 0`
I'm not sure what that means.

Unread 03/22/2012, 07:28 PM   #8
James77
Registered Member

It means my phone didn't let me finish what I was typing .

Some crappy luck you've been having But at least the experience with Reeflo didn't make it worse.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 07:36 PM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

While it might not be a problem with your pump. On pumps that have a seal like reeflo and continues to loose seals it is most likely caused by a worn front bearing. Any motor rebuild shop can replace it for you. Most likely while you wait.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 07:55 PM   #10
chriscobb
Registered Member

Don't feel bad rrasco.....I went through a similar situation back in January with my Snapper/Dart Hybrid, which leaked as soon as I flooded the pump with water, and swapped it out with my Dart Gold also brand new, went 2 days, and started leaking and a very bad noise.....Service was great, replacement parts no charge.....Dart Hybrid was bad seals, but found the seals bad on the Dart Gold along with the impeller was cracked all but through in the area where the seal is in the impeller......

chriscobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 08:11 PM   #11
robertifly
Premium Member

Wow!!! I know Reeflo makes good pumps, I have a snapper that I have put new seals and bearings in once but this sounds really bad for quality control right now.

Current Tank Info: none
robertifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 08:58 PM   #12
chriscobb
Registered Member

You should have seen the Dart Gold I bought brand new....The volute wasn't even tightened down evenly.....You could see where they snug some of the bolts and not others....Made me question quality control as well, but was an easy fix.

chriscobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Tickyty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Long story short, bought new pump, it leaked as well. Reeflo sent two sets of seals, replaced on new pump, still leaked, replaced on old pump, fixed that one. Reeflo then sent new impeller for new pump, that fixed new pump. I did have a true union valve between the sump and pump, but it was hard to turn. It has since gotten easier. This is all a moot point today as my 210 cracked down the front yesterday. Either way, Reeflo really excelled at taking care of this problem.
How has the hybrid pump been working since you replaced it. I am looking at a used one right now and it was initially purchased around the time you were having your problems.

Tickyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2013, 01:05 PM   #14
rrasco
Registered Member

I sold the pump last year at some point. My 210 exploded so I went smaller on my new tank.