Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2019, 08:57 AM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

How can i remove Zoas/Palys... safely?

So I have some green zoas/palys. I honestly don't know if they are zoas or palys. They have been around over a decade. Someone gave them to me years ago and they went out of control. I have many times removed and trashed rocks they are on only to have them pop up later. Now I have them growing up the overflow box and a small spot on a rock at bottom of rock scape. How can I remove them without risk of palytoxin? Was thinking of covering the ones on the rock with putty. the ones on over flow scrapping off during water change while siphoning out at the same time but I have a fear of this.

thank you,

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 12:21 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Wearing long gloves and eye protection! Dispose of the gloves when finished and wash well.

Your plan will work, but I'd lower the water level as far as possible so that when you scrape them bits and pieces as well as the juice (full of palytoxin) don't get scattered around the tank. You could end up making things way worse than they already are.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 02:00 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
How can I remove them without risk of palytoxin?
You can't eliminate the risk.. But you can mitigate your risks..

I would NOT expose them out of the water..
That can cause the toxins to become airborne..
NEVER bring them out of the water while agitating them.

If you have a large amount to remove and do not want to just trash the whole system then I would run copious amounts of activated carbon, massive amounts of air circulation (fume extraction), wear long gloves, full eye protection and absolutely wear a full respirator with appropriate cartridge or full face air respirator..

Unread 08/13/2019, 07:53 PM   #4
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
You can't eliminate the risk.. But you can mitigate your risks..

I would NOT expose them out of the water..
That can cause the toxins to become airborne..
NEVER bring them out of the water while agitating them.

If you have a large amount to remove and do not want to just trash the whole system then I would run copious amounts of activated carbon, massive amounts of air circulation (fume extraction), wear long gloves, full eye protection and absolutely wear a full respirator with appropriate cartridge or full face air respirator..
Absolutely what this man just said. Can you possibly post a pic or two of the offenders would help to determine if they are the worst offenders or not. Drab brown is the closest to the worst possible ones you can have...and Palys are far worse then Zoos.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 08:01 PM   #5
frogspawn74
Registered Member

I rip them from the rock using my wife’s cuticle cutters. They are great for precision cutting and scraping them right off. Just be cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frogspawn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogspawn74 View Post
I rip them from the rock using my wife’s cuticle cutters. They are great for precision cutting and scraping them right off. Just be cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does not sound like your cutting back Palythoa Toxica sp species or similar or else you would regret doing that, sounds more like Zoos. Can you post a pic of the species you have you brave soul you?

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2019, 07:13 PM   #7
jordan_reefer
Registered Member

Be to wear gloves, a mask, and eye protection when removing them.

jordan_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote