Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Rover88
Registered Member

What are these marks on my Laarcks Angel?

My Lamarcks angelfish has been in quarantine with all my other fish being treated for Ich.

I've had her for about 5 months and she has never shown any sign of ich, or any other disease. She was treated with the rest however, because I'm sure she might of had it where I wasn't seeing.

The treatment was 4 weeks of cupramine. She weathered it just fine with no issues.

At the end of the treatment of cupramine, I used carbon and water changes to remove the copper. A few days after I did this, the marks shown in the images started to appear on her, and on the tang.

I removed the carbon and cleaned the tank of all detritus I could, and have been doing frequent small water changes. Copper tests are near zero (and have been since I used carbon). The marks have since faded on the tang, but got larger on the Lamarck. They stopped about where they are now, and have not receded since.

Any idea what this is? Is it a sign of stress, or injury from her running into things? I'm antsy about returning her and the rest of the fish to the display until I know for sure.

https://imgur.com/a/mU9TFFf

Images are in the album.

EDIT: The marks I'm referring to are the pale patches just behind her eyes. They were never like that before. It looks like the scales are falling off.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 11:08 AM   #2
tjm9331
Registered Member

I gotta be honest, I'm having a hard time seeing any marks on him with how fast those videos are moving, I tried pausing them but still couldn't see anything distinguishable.

From what I could see he looks healthy but perhaps someone with better trained eyes will something I couldn't

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm9331 View Post
I gotta be honest, I'm having a hard time seeing any marks on him with how fast those videos are moving, I tried pausing them but still couldn't see anything distinguishable.

From what I could see he looks healthy but perhaps someone with better trained eyes will something I couldn't
Yeah, believe me it is ROUGH to get a good picture of them. I tried for a good 10 minutes, and the few good ones I got were because the girlfriend was feeding so he would move where I could get a shot of her.

Behind each eye is a paleish whiter patch of skin that used to be true silver like the rest of the body. They rise up towards the top of her body, and down towards her gills. They used to be small, only just behind and above the eyes.

If you look at the big thick black line on her body, the one that goes to her eyes, it pretty much touches the spots I'm referring too, and they go above it in their most noticeable spots. But the same 'patch' also extends down, its just less severe.

It 100% for sure was not there before, and only cropped up in the last few weeks.

The only pictures I've ever seen that look even slightly like it is HLLE, but they are always nearly the whole head and body, never as small as what I'm seeing.

Unread 08/15/2018, 11:25 AM   #4
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
Yeah, believe me it is ROUGH to get a good picture of them. I tried for a good 10 minutes, and the few good ones I got were because the girlfriend was feeding so he would move where I could get a shot of her.

Behind each eye is a paleish whiter patch of skin that used to be true silver like the rest of the body. They rise up towards the top of her body, and down towards her gills. They used to be small, only just behind and above the eyes.

If you look at the big thick black line on her body, the one that goes to her eyes, it pretty much touches the spots I'm referring too, and they go above it in their most noticeable spots. But the same 'patch' also extends down, its just less severe.

It 100% for sure was not there before, and only cropped up in the last few weeks.

The only pictures I've ever seen that look even slightly like it is HLLE, but they are always nearly the whole head and body, never as small as what I'm seeing.
ooook now I see it lol

I assume you've been checking ammonia levels in the QT but it almost looks like ammonia burn

or could possibly be copper burn? although I've never heard of this but with the more sensitive fish it's possible that the copper could burn there scales/skin

Unread 08/15/2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm9331 View Post
ooook now I see it lol

I assume you've been checking ammonia levels in the QT but it almost looks like ammonia burn

or could possibly be copper burn? although I've never heard of this but with the more sensitive fish it's possible that the copper could burn there scales/skin

I have been, there hasn't been any detectable amount of ammonia since the first week, and even in the first week it was less then 0.5ppm of ammonia for a very short period, less then a day. It was over 7-8 weeks until the signs of this appeared.

I haven't heard of copper burn, but the part I find strange is these marks appeared within days of me REMOVING the copper from the tank. You'd think it'd have helped!

Unread 08/15/2018, 11:32 AM   #6
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
I have been, there hasn't been any detectable amount of ammonia since the first week, and even in the first week it was less then 0.5ppm of ammonia for a very short period, less then a day. It was over 7-8 weeks until the signs of this appeared.

I haven't heard of copper burn, but the part I find strange is these marks appeared within days of me REMOVING the copper from the tank. You'd think it'd have helped!
Yeah that's definitely strange, I'm sorry I don't know more about illnesses and the like, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to give you a better answer

Unread 08/15/2018, 12:09 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Try taking your question to the Reef Disease forum.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 06:50 AM   #8
Rover88
Registered Member

New thread in Fish diseases forum, with fresh pictures that hopefully show better.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2682444