Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2020, 02:42 AM   #1
Jennifer84
Registered Member

Corals

Hi, I am looking for solid info on non toxic corals due to me having kids in my home. I want a variety of corals but being non lethal or completely non toxic is of great importance. Is there a such thing as non toxic corals? Can someone give me a list of them or better yet a website that list all corals and the toxicity level to humans on each? Any info would be perfect! Thanks!

Jennifer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2020, 05:39 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Most if not all corals have some sort of defense mechanism ranging from stinging cells to toxic compounds to the ability to retract their bodies into their skeleton,etc... But thats to protect against other corals and human toxicity issues are a non-issue for most corals..

As far as human toxicity issues the only corals you will want to stay away from is palythoa corals.
However thousands of people have them without issue.
Really only an issue if there is a potential that your kids would eat/lick the corals or handle them out of the tank.
The news stories related to that is when people are cleaning their tanks/rocks and the chemical gets airborn or ingested due to aggressive incorrect handling.

Just keep direct access to the corals/tank out of reach of your kids and teach them to look not touch and all will be fine.. Toxicity issues with humans are VERY.. VERY rare..

Unread 02/11/2020, 06:38 PM   #3
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer84 View Post
Hi, I am looking for solid info on non toxic corals due to me having kids in my home. I want a variety of corals but being non lethal or completely non toxic is of great importance. Is there a such thing as non toxic corals? Can someone give me a list of them or better yet a website that list all corals and the toxicity level to humans on each? Any info would be perfect! Thanks!
This really isn't a concern you should worry about, other than palythoa corals (Zoanthid coral species) as mcgyvr pointed out.

Here's some reading on those that'll get you in the picture.

Palytoxin poisoning: marine aquarium safety

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2020, 12:55 AM   #4
Jennifer84
Registered Member

Hey... thanks for the info... I will look into it, sorry it took so long to respond, my father in law is in the hospital, he had a stroke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jennifer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2020, 01:18 AM   #5
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer84 View Post
Hey... thanks for the info... I will look into it, sorry it took so long to respond, my father in law is in the hospital, he had a stroke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best to him

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I have kept, fragged and handled tons of corals for 30 years now and never had any problems, but, I am careful with palys as suggested above.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote