Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Jrod4
Registered Member

FS: 58g Oceanic w/ custom stand and BeAn Animal Overflow

I am moving to DC and need to sell my tank before June 30th when my lease ends.

Long story short, before I could finish the canopy I had to move to a smaller place and had to sell all my woodworking tools. I have the wood for the rest of the top, just not the resources to finish it. If you're a DIY guy, it should be easy for you.
The return pump crapped out on my last summer and I was too busy with work at the time to scramble and keep it running, so I gave away all the fish and coral and live rock. It has been sitting empty in my apt since then.

Details on the setup:
-Tank is older but was in brand new condition when I got it, don't think it was ever used(gf's dad at the time gave it to me). I've had it setup for 4 years now(impressed I got that much time on a single return pump).

Stand:
-Stand and canopy I built custom in my shop
-Main wood used is ambrosia maple with protruding slats of Kona stained cherry
-Poly coated to prevent moisture from warping wood
-Sides of tank are doors that open on hinges in back
-Front of tank is a sliding door on large 30 inch industrial drawer slides(opens towards left if facing tank)
-Doors allow maximum amount of access to underneath of tank for maintenance
-Bottom interior of stand is lined with rubber liner in the event of overflow, can contain several gallons of water to prevent water damage to floor/carpeting
-Base/frame of stand is made of 2X4's, very very sturdy
-Stand is heavy, that is it's one flaw.

Canopy:
-Same wood combo as stand
-Front piece can be easily removed from canopy frame for maintenance in tank(there is a sliding door lock on the inside that allows it to be removed)
-Sides of canopy(the only part not completed yet) were to be doors that open similarly to doors on stand, for easy access to tank
-Back side of canopy is closed but there are cut-outs for return piping and electrical cords if you use powerheads/wavemakers
-Top of canopy is open, and width allows for the LED light to move freely anywhere you want to place it, but the right width where the light will never fall into the tank
-Light is a Reefbreeders Photon 32 LED, comes with remote, customizable lighting schedule in 30 minute increments

Tank:
-I installed a "BeanAnimal" overflow system. Info can be found here: http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx
-Overflow is DEAD silent. Once its set, you never have to touch it again. Self corrects after any disturbances(maintenance, power outage, water level height change from new additions, etc)
-Overflow incorporates two failsafes!
-Gap between glass and overflow pipe is very small, dont need to worry about snails getting into it
-Back of tank glass is painted black, so no need to worry about buying one of those film backgrounds
-Past two years I had the tank as a bare bottom(no sand) and I think thats the best way to go for a reef tank, both for looks and for health of the tank

Sump
-20 gallon tank with separate sections for skimmer, return pump, and section for refugium(I grew chaeto in this and it grew like crazy. Just need a small pump to pump water to it from main return chamber.
-Baffles to prevent skimmer bubbles from entering return chamber
-Autotop off system with an 8 gallon container next to sump, depending on season can last up to 2 weeks without need for filling up top off container
-Valve on return pipe that you can close off during maintenance to prevent water from siphoning down from tank
-Return piping splits in V to each back corner of tank where water is returned through Loc-Line tubing
-Includes Aquamaxx EcoMaxx EM200 protein skimmer(I just cleaned this out over the week and will add a new pic of it tonight)
-Space for heater, thermometer, liverock, etc

Also included is a 4 stage BulkReefSupply RO/DI unit and a giant rubbermaid container full of various items, supplements, additives, etc. Lots of BRS supplements that I never used, will add pics tonight when I get home. Lots of other accessories in another box. Nets, refractometer, chemical testing kit, etc. My original Tunze autotop off died on me a couple years ago so I got a new one. The old one is still in there, maybe you can fix it. I never bothered.

I put a LOT of time into building this and it is hard to part ways, but I would rather let it go to someone who enjoys reefing, even if I don't get a whole lot of $$ for it. Plus I need it out by the 30th, and I don't have the time to put it in storage or find a temp home for it.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

I'm asking $500 OBO. I can help with carrying it downstairs(I am on third floor, live in East Lakeview neighborhood). But you will need at least a third person to assist.

Here is a link to the photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uQYREfEsV1j3C6Un6

Thanks!
-Jared

Unread 06/26/2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Jrod4
Registered Member

SOMEONE TAKE IT!!!!

$350!

Protein skimmer was $300 new, LED was $400, autotop off was $200. Plus ALL the other stuff. Help a fellow reefer out!

Unread 06/27/2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

post on Facebook Chicago Reef Forum or whatever its called. You will get more action there.