Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Icewing726
Registered Member

Anemone follow up

1st yes my tank is probably too young for this anemone.

That being said he seems to have settled under an overhang only hanging half of his tentacles in the light. Maybe the leds were too bright? I tried moving him out but he moved himself right back to the same spot.

His color looks good but he hasn't buried his foot in the sand and even moved back into the open space under the rock after I positioned him in a nook so he could grip. Do they need to bury their foot or can they lay on the sand?

Finally, he's been closed up all day today... His colors the same, is this normal?

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 09:04 PM   #2
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

The best thing to do is pay attention to the advice that has been offered here in the forums. There are some very experienced reef/nem keepers giving advice derived from personal experience.

Im no nem expert. Far from it. That said, Im in a somewhat similar situation as you. My tank is relatively young, but has ran stable and Ive had fairly good luck with any type of corals Ive tried, so I decided to try a BTA.

Luck would have it (or bad luck), the BTA I had reserved split the day I went to pick her up. Splitting and a move on the same day, double the stress for the nem. Anyways, she immediately got off the rock she had been attached to at the lfs and headed for shade in a cave. She stayed at the base of a rock in this cave, out of the light for about two weeks. She would open and close constantly throughout the day. About three weeks in, she started climbing the rock inside the cave, peeking out into the light more. Over the course of a few days she traveled vertically about 8" until she found a spot she liked, anchoring into a nook in the rockwork.

Two months later, she is thriving. She has grown nearly double her original size is open all day long, is very colorful, and eats whenever fed.

My long winded point is, from what you describe, and from what Ive seen with mine, what you are seeing is normal behaviour for an acclimating nem.

I would say leave it alone. Let it go where it wants, unless it in danger of finding a powerhead. At this point, you and the nem are like the turkey on Thanksgiving. You're committed. I think the best you can do at this point is keep your water in order and let the nem do what its gonna do. Good luck!

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Icewing726
Registered Member

I really appreciate your personal experiences. I figured out why the nem was retracted, I had the lights in my tank dimmed after it started hiding but the program ran today and it returned to an intense daylight. I dimmed it again and programmed it to go dim from now on.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

I put a rose BTA in my tank one month after setting it up. Everyone said I'm stupid. It's been over a year now and I have 11 of them that have taken over an entire section of my tank. If there is one thing that's thriving in my tank, it's the anemone.

Here's the key - if you anemone is tank raised, they are super hardy. If not, you are asking for trouble.

Aquacrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 08:32 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquacrazed View Post
I put a rose BTA in my tank one month after setting it up. Everyone said I'm stupid. It's been over a year now and I have 11 of them that have taken over an entire section of my tank. If there is one thing that's thriving in my tank, it's the anemone.

Here's the key - if you anemone is tank raised, they are super hardy. If not, you are asking for trouble.
More times than not, excessive splitting is usually caused by stress, which in such a fresh tank would be my guess.

There is good reason we advise waiting for tank to become mature and balanced, you just happen to choose BTA, which often fool people into thinking they bare having success thinking that splitting automatically means thriving.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
More times than not, excessive splitting is usually caused by stress, which in such a fresh tank would be my guess.

There is good reason we advise waiting for tank to become mature and balanced, you just happen to choose BTA, which often fool people into thinking they bare having success thinking that splitting automatically means thriving.
I disagree. What do you mean by excessive splitting? Splitting once a month? How do you know this is excessive? Also how do you explain the fact that none of them have died? Don't you think at least one or two would have died if they were under extreme stress?

My theory, and yes this is just my two cents, I have no solid evidence, is that they move around the tank because they are stressed. Mine haven't, they find a place and they have been there ever since (knock on wood).

Unread 05/11/2018, 08:11 AM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

I don't know you, or your tank, you could very well be the greatest anemone whisperer there ever was for all I know...

All I know is your post is by far not the most common outcome, and if your nems are indeed thriving and not just surviving, you would be an extreme exception.

I'm not here to point out the exceptions, but the most probable outcome that comes w/ placing anemone's in a one month old tank.

I'm here to advocate and inform towards responsible reef keeping and care of sensitive animals

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 05/11/2018, 08:21 AM   #8
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:

Did you acquire the 11 through the single splitting over a year's time?

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 12:02 PM   #9
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
Did you acquire the 11 through the single splitting over a year's time?
They got to 11 by one anemone splitting into two. I never saw one split into more than that.

Unread 05/11/2018, 12:05 PM   #10
j.falk
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
They got to 11 by one anemone splitting into two. I never saw one split into more than that.
Thanks! That's what I meant...you started out with 1 single anemone...but now have 11 from all the splitting.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 12:16 PM   #11
mnchartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Are all 11 of these in your 13.5 gallon tank? Any pics?

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 12:20 PM   #12
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I don't know you, or your tank, you could very well be the greatest anemone whisperer there ever was for all I know...

All I know is your post is by far not the most common outcome, and if your nems are indeed thriving and not just surviving, you would be an extreme exception.

I'm not here to point out the exceptions, but the most probable outcome that comes w/ placing anemone's in a one month old tank.

I'm here to advocate and inform towards responsible reef keeping and care of sensitive animals
Maybe it was all luck, who knows. This was the first time I kept an anemone and this is my first saltwater tank. Although I've been in freshwater for over 15 years, the last 5 breeding & raising Discus so I do have advanced knowledge of aquarium/fish keeping in general.

Unread 05/11/2018, 12:27 PM   #13
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchartier View Post
Are all 11 of these in your 13.5 gallon tank? Any pics?
Yes, all in my tiny 13.5g. I will take a pic when the lights come on and post it. I'm trying to sell most of them but I can't get them off the rocks.

Unread 05/11/2018, 01:46 PM   #14
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

Here's a shot of my tank:

Closeup of the anamones:

Unread 05/11/2018, 01:47 PM   #15
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Aquacrazed;25435110]Here's a shot of my tank:

https://flic.kr/p/26ZprAj

Closeup of the anamones:

https://flic.kr/p/24iySsj

Unread 05/11/2018, 04:36 PM   #16
Joe0813
Registered Member

i think the waiting for your tank to mature is for people that just start up... i have been in this hobby since 2010 and ive kept multiple BTAs in tanks that ive just started up. just watch your levels and you will be fine.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 05:28 PM   #17
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe it was all luck, who knows. This was the first time I kept an anemone and this is my first saltwater tank. Although I've been in freshwater for over 15 years, the last 5 breeding & raising Discus so I do have advanced knowledge of aquarium/fish keeping in general.
Yeah I'm just basing my advice on 33 years of actually keeping anemone's and clowns, and my past 13 years here reading and sharing experiences w/ others who's main focus has also been anemone's

But FW experience helps too I'm sure.

Unread 05/12/2018, 08:20 PM   #18
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Those BTAs are so small. They shouldn't be splitting when they're still that small IMO.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 09:01 AM   #19
davocean
Registered Member

^^ I would agree w/ him, and he has discus, so maybe his comment will have more weight w/ you...

I'm sorry but 10 splits in 11 months would be considered excessive.

Unread 05/13/2018, 03:20 PM   #20
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Yes, I do keep discus but there's no correlation to being a good reef keeper just because of that. Apples and oranges. Yeah, I don't know why the OP mentioned it to back up his claim.

Unread 05/16/2018, 07:00 PM   #21
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

I deleted the two pictures because my personal info was getting exposed. Here is a video of the tank instead: https://youtu.be/20OMEhhIiwE

Again, why is 10 splits in 1 year excessive? I'm trying to understand why but you don't seem to have a good answer. Maybe I am putting them in the great mood to keep reproducing because they are happy, am I wrong?

Unread 05/16/2018, 07:02 PM   #22
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

Can't edit, can't post pictures. This is such a great forum, reminds be of the days when I had a dial-up modem.

Unread 05/16/2018, 07:06 PM   #23
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Anemone follow up

Quote:
I deleted the two pictures because my personal info was getting exposed. Here is a video of the tank instead: https://youtu.be/20OMEhhIiwE

Again, why is 10 splits in 1 year excessive? I'm trying to understand why but you don't seem to have a good answer. Maybe I am putting them in the great mood to keep reproducing because they are happy, am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong. If they are splitting that much it’s due to a stressor event.

There, I also edited my post and here’s a pic too!!

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 09:56 PM   #24
Aquacrazed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
Yes you are wrong. If they are splitting that much it’s due to a stressor event.

There, I also edited my post and here’s a pic too!!

The fact that none of them have died makes me think my theory is true. Anyways, I will just keep doing what I am doing, it seems to be working for me, and the anemones.

Unread 05/17/2018, 04:52 PM   #25
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Well, BTA can grow to a foot across. I'm in the camp that believes a healthy BTA should grow to similar size when it's well cared for. I personally would like my BTA to grow to that size instead of splitting often and never getting close to it's potential. I suppose if you are into selling BTAs, then frequent splits are probably a plus.

I have a 5 gallon reef tank, got a BTA after 2 years. Soon after I brought it home, it split once but they have not split again. It's probably been about 8 months now since it split. The two are getting bigger, slowly since I don't feed them. I'd rather see mine get bigger than split all the time and have a bunch of small BTAs.