Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/18/2018, 05:54 PM   #1
dz6t
Registered Member

Unusual ATI t5 bulb color

This is the first time I encountered this. I am wondering if anyone has the similar experience.
I installed a set of brand new ATI bulbs i purchased recently.

The Blue plus bulbs are kinda wash out and not as bright. Since I have several ATI fixtures running, It is very obvious in terms of the color difference.
I have been using ATI bulbs for more than a decade. I notice the difference immediately and they look more like the Hamilton actinic blue in color. Less blue and more white. All 4 new blue plus bulbs look identical and it seems the whole batch is manufactured differently.

Even stranger are the two new ATI true actinic bulbs that came in the same order. They are as bright and as white the Coral plus bulb.

My par meter is out so I have to wait to get a par reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

There doesn’t seem to be a real drastic difference but they do take a while to break in. I think it depends on the circumstances how noticeable it is at first.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 06:15 PM   #3
dz6t
Registered Member

I never see this color difference before, it is definitely not due to break in. I am amaze by how white and bright those two actinic are. Which may not be a good thing.

Unread 06/19/2018, 06:23 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Always a chance of an error in packaging or whatever... Could have been bulbs someone returned or whatever...
I would contact the seller and discuss your options..

Unread 06/19/2018, 09:23 AM   #5
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Always a chance of an error in packaging or whatever... Could have been bulbs someone returned or whatever...
I would contact the seller and discuss your options..
Something should be written on the bulb confirming model #..or it's just some cheap chinese fake.

Wrong stenciling at the factory is possible but unlikely (unless manuf was switched to China from the EU)

Factory phosphor screw up is possible..

Think the o/p should contact ATI directly.
https://www.atinorthamerica.com/t5-bulbs/

Last edited by oreo57; 06/19/2018 at 09:29 AM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

More than likely these new bulbs just need 50 hours to burn in to achieve the expected color. At this time we are not aware of any knock off bulbs nor did the factory make any changes. I suspect since the thread is quiet the OP ended up with the expected color in time.
One other "eye ball trick" that often plagues people is your eye will perceive a difference in bulb color based on the neighboring bulbs, for example a Blue Plus may look more blue next to an Aqua Blue Special and more white next to a True Actinic. When you swap these two examples the same thing is applied even though the bulbs moved locations. Make sense?

Current Tank Info: 175g mixed powered by an ATI LED Powermodule
Keith@ ATI NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 06:33 PM   #7
dz6t
Registered Member

Unusual ATI t5 bulb color

I did not post more because I just give up. Sorry, after a week, they still did not look right. So I just shelved them and write it off as my lost. Sorry.

Unread 07/12/2018, 07:01 PM   #8
nikon187
Registered Member

not a very good resolve...hopefully its just yours as we just got 9 boxes of ati bulbs in

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz6t View Post
I did not post more because I just give up. Sorry, after a week, they still did not look right. So I just shelved them and write it off as my lost. Sorry.

Maybe it is just me but it doesn't sound like you were willing to do anything to gain support? If you wish, please email us so we can get purchase information, photos etc and see if we can collaborate your issue.

Unread 07/13/2018, 02:28 PM   #10
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon187 View Post
not a very good resolve...hopefully its just yours as we just got 9 boxes of ati bulbs in
We do not have any complaints from anyone else except this fellow so I am certain you have nothing to worry about.