Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2020, 03:15 PM   #1
phishman1
Registered Member

Setting up budget salt tank need opinions

This is an existing 46 gallon bowfront cichlid tank. Decided to do a fish only tank on a budget.

Here is what I have in cart on Amazon to purchase, haven't hit the order button yet:

NICREW Saltwater Aquarium Light, Marine LED Fish Tank Light for Coral Reef Tanks, 2-Channel Timer Included, 30 to 36-Inch, 32-Watt $50

Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater 300W-Fish Tahk Heater with Adjust Knob Thermostat 2 Suction Cups Suitable for Marine Reef Fish Tank $23

Marineland PF0350B Penguin Power Filter, Upto 75 Gallons, 350 GPH
$23.45

Instant Ocean Reef CrystInstant Ocean Reef Crystals Reef Salt For 25 Gallons, Enriched Formulation For aquariInstant Ocean Reef Crystumsals Reef Salt For 25 Gallons, Enriched Formulation For aquariums
$11.69
Qty:

Any thoughts or anything you'd switch out that is close in cost..?

phishman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2020, 04:12 PM   #2
herostar
Registered Member

Without knowing what other equipment you plan to use this is hard to answer.

What are you using the power filter for? SW tanks don't typically use a hang-on-back style filter unless it's for introducing chemical filter media or a refugium.

I don't see a water circulation pump on there. In order to get your live rock to do it's job helping filter the tank you'll need to make sure water is circulating around the rocks (lots of circulation, likely more than you think...)

I would order the big box of reef crystals, what you're ordering will barely be enough to set it up and you will need to buy more right away for a water change or in case of emergency.

Current Tank Info: 58g Oceanic (Est. 2007)
herostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Bruce51
Registered Member

For a fish only tank I would get Instant ocean sea salt, purple box, I would buy the 200 gallon box, most salt for your money and works great, and you need some power heads or wave makers for circulation, have to keep the water moving

Bruce51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2020, 11:16 AM   #4
moondoggy4
Registered Member

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
I like Fluval AquClear filter I would recommend double the filter size to the gallons of your tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote