Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2018, 10:35 AM   #1
iiiTRiBEiii
Registered Member

Mangrove Tank Talk

Hi everyone, I have a 55 brackish mangrove tank that is a labor of love. Hoping to establish the mangroves before adding an Archer. This is a new setup of an old tank, I saw Gigas post about prop root growth and knew I needed a reset. The past build had major algae growth that I still cannot get ahead of. Any suggestions would be a huge help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180902_112732.jpg (100.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180902_112738.jpg (91.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180902_112954.jpg (65.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180902_113357.jpg (97.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180902_113712.jpg (82.6 KB, 65 views)
iiiTRiBEiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 10:57 AM   #2
ange062
Registered Member

Have you tried a UV Filter to help with algae control? It took me 8yrs in this hobby before trying one but I'm not a huge fan and don't think I'll run another tank without one again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 12:48 PM   #3
iiiTRiBEiii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Have you tried a UV Filter to help with algae control?
Nope, I thought it was a lighting setting, dirty filters, water imbalance and on & on...but I'll be googling UV Filter and buying one asap. Thanks for the heads up!

Read you loud and clear about learning over time. Been tending to these mangroves for about 4 years now and still in the trial and error phase.

Unread 09/03/2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That looks like a cool tank! And that looks like cyano bacteria. I'd add more mollies. They are the only thing I have personally witnessed eating cyano. It's important to not feed them, if you want them to really 'perform'. Reproducing snails, like Ceriths, are great too.

From what I've heard, mangroves are not great for rapidly sucking up nutrients. Would you consider adding some macro algae? These would add some competition for unwanted algae. Combined with manual removal of cyano, the balance will tip in favor of the plants you DO want.

Best of luck, and keep us informed!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 11:45 AM   #5
ange062
Registered Member

A UV filter isn't a magic solution and won't fix issues like you mention (imbalances, dirty filters, etc) but assuming you have everything else right or close to right they are hugely helpful. They will any waterborne algae and / or bacteria so really help keep cyano and algae blooms in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiiTRiBEiii View Post
Nope, I thought it was a lighting setting, dirty filters, water imbalance and on & on...but I'll be googling UV Filter and buying one asap. Thanks for the heads up!

Read you loud and clear about learning over time. Been tending to these mangroves for about 4 years now and still in the trial and error phase.

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 09/03/2018, 12:18 PM   #6
iiiTRiBEiii
Registered Member

Quote:
UV Filter to help with algae control
Ok, done some research and I'm going with the Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 8-watt UV inline. Cheers for the recommendation. One right step in the overall process is always helpful.

btw, saw Pixel 2, Fi subscriber? I really like Fi and am looking forward to the Pixel 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That looks like a cool tank! And that looks like cyano bacteria. I'd add more mollies. They are the only thing I have personally witnessed eating cyano. It's important to not feed them, if you want them to really 'perform'. Reproducing snails, like Ceriths, are great too.

From what I've heard, mangroves are not great for rapidly sucking up nutrients. Would you consider adding some macro algae? These would add some competition for unwanted algae. Combined with manual removal of cyano, the balance will tip in favor of the plants you DO want.

Best of luck, and keep us informed!
Thanks for the compliment and bacteria ID! It's been a process and is still a work in progress.

I tried some turtle grass and sea lettuce before and they had a rough time. Think I'll try some Chaetomorpha and see if it holds, seems to be a very hardy plant. I have some nerites hanging out in a second tank because I added a bit of algaecide to test results, wanted to keep them safe. That was about a week ago. I'll get them reintroduced and bug my preferred snail guy in FL about some Dwarf Cerith and more Mollies.

The Knight Goby is a fast bastard when it comes to feeding time, it'll gobble up the blood worms before the Mollies know whats up.

Unread 09/03/2018, 08:07 PM   #7
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, done some research and I'm going with the Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 8-watt UV inline. Cheers for the recommendation. One right step in the overall process is always helpful.

btw, saw Pixel 2, Fi subscriber? I really like Fi and am looking forward to the Pixel 3

Sweet, that's the one I use but in the 15 watt version for my 65g. And I keep an 8w version on my 45g FW tank. I just use an Eheim Compact600 for flow.

Not on Fi, but I do love the phone! Had the Nexus 6p and 6 before it, looking forward to the Pixel3 also!

29g AGA Planted FW
Unread 09/03/2018, 08:53 PM   #8
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool idea, using the canister filter to pump the UV! That's a perfect solution for me!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 10:58 AM   #9
thepotoo
Registered Member

That's a very nice tank!

I'm not sure archers would be a good fit, though. I assume you are intending to add a microlepis (the smallest). They get too big for a 55 realistically, and would want to be in a small school (5-8 fish). Blythii is the other small archer and they are strictly freshwater fish. Anything less than a 125 is probably too small for them long term.

Your mangroves will grow a lot faster with more light. They are a tree, so they like par of ~1000+. You have 3-4 what looks like 3-4 months of full sun growth. Just make sure to increase the light slowly (over a couple weeks) so they don't burn and drop their leaves.

thepotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 04:47 PM   #10
iiiTRiBEiii
Registered Member

Attachment 396457
Quote:
Sweet, that's the one I use but in the 15 watt version for my 65g. And I keep an 8w version on my 45g FW tank. I just use an Eheim Compact600 for flow.

Not on Fi, but I do love the phone! Had the Nexus 6p and 6 before it, looking forward to the Pixel3 also!

That organization is unreal, so clean and clear, labeled power strip !@_@! Reminds me of cable management pron. Thank you for the inline suggestions. I've since removed the in tank heater & added an inline as well as the UV filter. It's working out oh so well. The gravel substrate has also been taken out as the nerites have been reintroduced. The sand is also easier to clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepotoo View Post
That's a very nice tank!

I'm not sure archers would be a good fit, though. I assume you are intending to add a microlepis (the smallest). They get too big for a 55 realistically, and would want to be in a small school (5-8 fish). Blythii is the other small archer and they are strictly freshwater fish. Anything less than a 125 is probably too small for them long term.

Your mangroves will grow a lot faster with more light. They are a tree, so they like par of ~1000+. You have 3-4 what looks like 3-4 months of full sun growth. Just make sure to increase the light slowly (over a couple weeks) so they don't burn and drop their leaves.
Thanks for the suggestions and input. Selling the Mrs on a 125 is going to be more challenging than growing the mangroves

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank resize.jpg (77.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg tank resize 2.jpg (78.7 KB, 14 views)
Unread 10/12/2018, 08:01 AM   #11
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Attachment 396457

That organization is unreal, so clean and clear, labeled power strip !@_@! Reminds me of cable management pron. Thank you for the inline suggestions. I've since removed the in tank heater & added an inline as well as the UV filter. It's working out oh so well. The gravel substrate has also been taken out as the nerites have been reintroduced. The sand is also easier to clean.
I'm glad to hear it's working out well!! Like I said, I was amazed with the results even after just a short time using UV. And yeah, I'm a little OCD when it comes to cables . Tesa tape and a $15 label maker off Amazon are tremendously helpful

29g AGA Planted FW

Tags
algae control, brackish, mangrove help, sharing