Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2018, 09:29 AM   #1
zachtos
Registered Member

what pump model is in the wavebox 6214?

Hello, I have dual wavebox 6214 (largest wavebox). What model is the pump? I can't find it in the manual, I don't think it's a special pump is it?

My dual wavemakers on their 3rd failure now in 2 years. I have warranty returned the pump twice and now the other pump is doing the same failure, won't always turn back on after a feed timer, and intermittent when it does.

I am thinking of ordering some brackets to hold the pumps and throw away the box, just turn it into a regular powerhead, since I'm unable to solve why it wont work... but I don't know the model number for a holder, or I'll rig up my own.

Current Tank Info: 300G reef under construction
zachtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 08:16 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

This is very unusual, I have to assume something is off with how they are run or installed as I have very few issues with the Wavebox and you can see their are not many complaints of pump failures on the forum. The pump is model 6215.200. It is for all practical purposes a 6155 with a 6105 power supply as it is not intended to run in anyway except pulsing on and off so the wattage average is half of a 6155 and it does not need the bigger power supply.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 11:59 AM   #3
zachtos
Registered Member

OK, well I guess I can sell the non broken one. The other is starting that intermittent failure again. Nothing fancy going on, 2 pumps in parallel to one control, in a 300G tank, making a 1" wave 24/7. I press the feed timer 3 times a day, and sometimes on resume it will put them both into a constant ON mode, which as you say, possibly would ruin the motor if not rated for continuous operation. So perhaps the culprit is resume from feed, a bug that gets stuck on?

at any rate, I believe they are 2.5 year old and out of warranty. I will probably remove and do some gyres for a while instead. 1 box doesn't really do much for random flow, really need both working.

Unread 08/24/2018, 12:10 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Constant on would just kill the power supply, not the pump but it is strange they don't return to pulsing out of food mode, it sounds like the controller is the root issue. Can you explain the intermittent issue? Is the pump dead or does it work? Based on this info I think the controller is faulty, possibly has a break in a wire or a short.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 08/24/2018, 12:41 PM   #5
zachtos
Registered Member

Intermittent, same as the last two pumps I sent for RMA, they will turn on and pulse... then after a while, maybe a minute or two, will stop for a minute, then resumes pulsing again. So spends a lot of time on cooldown timer or something, while the other one is going along fine, so it's motor not controller, and I swap channels and same motor will still fault. No calcium buildups or anything obvious. Pump will work if I cycle power, then go back to it's intermittent pulsing again. I swapped controllers a year ago when a motor was doing this, no difference (had two controllers since I bought 2 wavebox).

I think it's just the motors. based on those tests. After motors swapped, worked for another year until failed again.both replaced once, now this one is about a year old and failed again.

I do enjoy the wavebox when it works, much better waves than the vortechs can create. Theirs seem different vs. water displacement box.

Unread 08/24/2018, 01:55 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

One box has not missed a beat though? Is there any difference between the two like the foam pad or depth? I am not unwilling to try another pump, it is just very unusual and I'd like to find out why.

Unread 08/24/2018, 03:15 PM   #7
zachtos
Registered Member

One pump will pulse like normal, and the other will turn on/off randomly and miss many cycles. They are on same side of tank pushed against eachother. The one failing needs to be rebooted at least once a day, unknown how many hours it's not pulsing lately. I reset the power and it seems to work off and on the remainder of the night.

Unread 08/27/2018, 08:26 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Can you PM me your info and we will send another pump? All I can figure is that the demand as a spare part is so low that all the spares were from a same lot that may have had an issue. I know the spares were here for many years. The 6215 used the same pump, so we have used this model pump for 9 years now.