Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2019, 11:12 AM   #1
bumbus
Registered Member

Euphyllia Corals stinging each other

Hey all, I am a lurker, not much of a poster. But I have a current situation I am encountering.

I have a 32 gallon tank, that has been up and running for a little over a year now. I had purchased a Torch, and Frogspawn coral that were kind of on the smaller side. I thought I had placed them far enough apart to keep from growing into the other's space. Needless to say I was wrong, they have been flourishing in the tank and grown quite larger than expected. Now they are close enough where the Torch has been stinging the Frogspawn on occasion and it is becoming an almost everyday occurrence. I had thought that generally Euphyllia corals didn't sting each other, but again I was wrong.

My question is: Is it necessary to move one of the corals to stop with the stinging, or what is the best way of handling this situation?

Thanks for any help!

bumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 01:01 PM   #2
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

does it appear that the frogspawn is bothered by the stinging?

my torch and hammer touch each other regularly, but i can't say i've ever seen any ill effects from it.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 02:21 PM   #3
bumbus
Registered Member

Unfortunately yes. I had thought they wouldn't bother each other, that's the reason I had placed them semi-close to one another. The Torch's tentacles end up sticking to the Frogspawn's and in turn the Frogspawn ends up retracting itself. It is only affecting one of it's four heads, but that head is retracted at an estimate of about 50% of the time the daylights are on.

Unread 07/11/2019, 02:52 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

If a Euphyllia sp. is going to sting another, it will be the torch going after the hammer or frogspawn. It does not happen all the time, but often enough to be careful with them. I keep my torch over in a corner by itself. The frogspawn and hammer intermingle without issue.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 01:44 PM   #5
bumbus
Registered Member

Thanks, I ended up moving the frogspawn to a different location, so I resolved the issue. (My emerald crab ended up trying to have a snack that was called frogspawn, so I had to remove him, and by doing so I took the frogspawn out while he was on it, and moved it!)

Unread 07/15/2019, 06:39 PM   #6
TDChu
Registered Member

Likewise, I keep my torch away from hammer/frogspawn.

TDChu is offline   Reply With Quote