Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2011, 02:29 PM   #76
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

My tank I'm planning for is 96X36X30. I'd expect to use eight fixtures on it with two deep and four across. I'll just have to watch what kind of spread other builds are getting on similar dimensions.

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 03:56 PM   #77
socalmonty
Registered Member

Just stopped by Vivid to see their 800G show tank with half MH and half Radions (12 of them). They were just getting ready to start adding the livestock today so it was just full of live rock but quite honestly, I couldn't tell which side was which. It is at least 30" deep. Of course, 12 Radions are going to provide a lot of light no matter what and I'm not talking PAR but visually, they looked identical to me. It will be interesting to see how it compares when it's stocked (by this weekend they said). Apparently Vivid is chronicling their MH vs. Radion test on their Facebook page. I haven't tried to find it yet.

Current Tank Info: 233g mixed reef (60Lx30Dx30T)
socalmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 06:04 PM   #78
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't had a chance yet to get anymore updates here until now. I did get a chance to test power consumption this evening, as well as take PAR measurements in water with the fixtures at both 12" and 6" above the water surface. All information below is with each module running at 100% intensity on all channels. The data is as follows:

Power Consumtion

AquaIllumination
Wattage: 73
Amperage: 1.04
Power Factor: .59

Vertex Illumina
Wattage: 81
Amperage: .69
Power Factor: .98

Ecotech Radion
Wattage: 121
Amperage: 1.51
Power Factor: .65

PAR numbers in the water, as well as photos at 12" and 6" will follow...

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 06:25 PM   #79
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

First for the PAR measurements in the water I kept this pretty plain and simple. All pendants were 12" from the surface of the water for this first measurement. I took a PAR reading directly under the center of the module. I then took a measurement that was 6" to the left of center of the module, then 12" to the front of the module. The reason I went with 6" is because the AI drops off to far going further than that, and for comparison sake it just didn't make sense for this test. You could also argue that the way I have the Illumina and Radion hanging is actually front to back, instead of left to right. Take it for what you want, but the numbers give you an idea.

PAR Numbers

AquaIllumination
Center: 510
6" Left: 180
12" Forward: 120

Vertex Illumina
Center: 118
6" Left: 113
12" Forward: 109

Ecotech Radion
Center: 215
6" Left: 148
12" Forward: 130

From the conclusion through water at this height you can definitely tell what a difference directional optics can make.

The Illumina is not meant to be ran high off the water since it does not use any primary or secondary optics. If you have to run your fixture high up, I would not suggest going this route.

The Ecotech, while not using the typical optics we are familiar with, does use them and it's a good blend of good par values and spread at 12".

For SPS junkies that need to run their fixture high up off the surface of the water the AI would be the best choice here. While you can see the drop of PAR once you get out underneath the module itself, it's a real beast when you're directly under it. The downside is that you do need to run quite a few modules butted up together if you want a more smooth distribution of PAR levels within the tank. This could be both good and bad depending upon placement of corals in the tank.

Unread 11/09/2011, 06:30 PM   #80
jcw
Registered Member

Thanks!

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 06:38 PM   #81
Kreeger1
KING LEAR

glad i went with Ai sol blues

Current Tank Info: Dsa 135
Kreeger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 06:39 PM   #82
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

The second set of PAR numbers I collected were with all modules running at 6" off of the surface of the water. Everyone's system is different, and it only makes sense that the same module might not be the correct fit for two different setups. Again, I collected a number directly under the center, 6" to the left of center, and 12" front of center on each module.

PAR Numbers

AquaIllumination
Center: 640
6" Left: 240
12" Forward: 103

Vertex Illumina
Center: 232
6" Left: 195
12" Forward: 171

Ecotech Radion
Center: 395
6" Left: 226
12" Forward: 158

The AquaIllumination really started to show the downside to running tighter optics when your application calls for the module being closer to the water surface. The 60% drop in PAR when moving to the left of the module 6" from center, and the 81% drop in PAR 12" forward from the center of the module show this. Again, this could be a good or bad thing depending upon coral species and placement within the particular tank.

The Ecotech Radion's optics are a little more obvious in this particular test. However, by looking at the photo the light still does not look too much of a spotlight at this height. The light is still smooth looking within the system, with good PAR numbers to boot. So far I am impressed by this fixture with the little time I've had to use it. I really look forward to my coral color rendition test with it.

The Illumina really started to shine at this height. While it gave the lowest total par numbers still, the even spread of the light distribution was very impressive. For anyone looking for a high power LED that is made to be ran close to the water (3" - 6") this would definitely be one to consider.

Unread 11/09/2011, 06:42 PM   #83
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Over the course of the next few days I will do some photos of each module at different intensity percentages of the various colors of LED's and include photos with corals underneath. I purposely removed all of the corals from this system as to not be a distraction for the represented color of the specific corals, but for the beam, or lack thereof, light being produced with tested par numbers in the water.

Unread 11/09/2011, 06:49 PM   #84
SPotter
Registered Member

Thanks Jeremy!!!! You weren't kidding about the spread on the illumina. Seems like that would be a great choice for a shallow tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2011, 07:51 PM   #85
SkullV
They Got My Number

Jeremy, I may have missed it, but did you mention the water depth that the PAR measurements were taken at and also the PAR meter which was used? I only ask because I got drastically different measurements when measuring my Radion at 8" above the tank at a water depth of 20"

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 12:16 AM   #86
Luxo
Registered Member

Jeremy,
Is it possible for you to do a test 3" from the surface as well?
Overall great job!
As far as the comparison of Illumina and Radion also need to keep in mind that Radion consumes 50% more electricity! Having said that seems you only have a hot spot right under the light and the reflector reduces the spread by a great deal, so for an even spread on a 4' tank maybe 2 x 1' illumina should do better than 3 or 4 Radion!
Thoughts?
Also from your numbers with Radion does this mean you can see a spot light effect at 6" above the surface? hard to see from the pictures but a drop of almost 50% in light in 6" or less would suggest that!
I wish I was close eough to pay you a visit, but onceagain thanks for doing this.
Cheers,
Dave

Luxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 06:41 AM   #87
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Jeremy, I may have missed it, but did you mention the water depth that the PAR measurements were taken at and also the PAR meter which was used? I only ask because I got drastically different measurements when measuring my Radion at 8" above the tank at a water depth of 20"

Looks like it was tested at 18 inches of water depth.

EDIT looks to me a little lower since the 18 inch water depth of the tank is lower since half of the power heads are exposed by air.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 07:53 AM   #88
reef bloke
Registered Member

Would be nice to see the SOL tested with all 70 degree optics, the spread might be much better in exchange a small drop in PAR and it has plenty to play with looking at those figures.

reef bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 07:55 AM   #89
kentrob11
Premium Member

I think the major advantage of the radion over the sol is the color rendition....T think that the blue/cool white combination just doesn't look natural and the radion includes other colors than even out the color band. Even with better spread and slightly less par, the sols still look too cold to create a natural looking reef IMO...

kentrob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 08:04 AM   #90
data_loss
Registered Member

Better color yes, but will it be enough par for my 30" deep tank seems to be the unanswered question at the moment.

data_loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 08:06 AM   #91
kentrob11
Premium Member

I specifically asked the question and Ecotech assured me it would be. I have a 36x30x30 tank that I was planning on using 2 over and they said it would be a great fit.

Unread 11/10/2011, 08:22 AM   #92
this is me
Registered Member

The Vetex's efficiency and even spread of light is pretty impressive!!
Why does all the American made products so power hungry?

I was at my lfs last night to check on the Radion. While the fixture is nice'n sleek, the power supply is an eye sore.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 09:58 AM   #93
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

These PAR numbers were taken in 12" of water depth.

Unread 11/10/2011, 10:11 AM   #94
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Thanks for doing the hard work!! Thats what sets PA above the rest!

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 11:14 AM   #95
maestro
Registered Member

Can I be perfectlly honest, the PAR numbers are all the units are NOT very impressive, I have a 6 tube ATI sunpower which costs less than half the cost of one Radion and the par numbers are 300-500 all over my 4 foot tank (its shallow 15" deep)

maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 01:34 PM   #96
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Can I be perfectlly honest, the PAR numbers are all the units are NOT very impressive, I have a 6 tube ATI sunpower which costs less than half the cost of one Radion and the par numbers are 300-500 all over my 4 foot tank (its shallow 15" deep)
PAR meters can not effectively read the PAR of blue LEDs. Some advanced technical articles have stated up to a 40% margin of error (reading lower).

Unread 11/10/2011, 02:11 PM   #97
socalmonty
Registered Member

Sorry but then why is everyone so fixated on PAR readings from LEDs if they aren't even accurate?

Current Tank Info: 233g mixed reef (60Lx30Dx30T)
socalmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 02:22 PM   #98
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmonty View Post
Sorry but then why is everyone so fixated on PAR readings from LEDs if they aren't even accurate?
They are a decent way to compare LEDs to other LEDs.

Unread 11/10/2011, 02:49 PM   #99
maestro
Registered Member

I understand Par meters underestimate the blue spectrum but I dont see why a PAR meter would read a blue led different to a blue t5, the wavelengths are very simular.

maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2011, 03:51 PM   #100
kentrob11
Premium Member

I think this is going to be another one of those threads where people argue themselves into a hole. Perception is 9/10ths of fact these days so those who think the par sucks on these should go with what they feel comfortable with...