Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2019, 02:16 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

alternating flow on tunze 3 with y cable

Hi Roger

Thank you very much for your help. Everything is great right now with that fix!

**I know I asked you this at least 2 times before, on how to create alternating flow with the y cable. I did exactly what you said to do:

Set the second pump to external, make all settings on the main pump, press food timer for 2 seconds on the pump in external mode and it then is in the inverse meaning it will be on pulse speed, when the other is on main speed.

I dont see any alternating flow here. Is there a youtube vid? I might be missing something. Yes, one pump varies it's flow based on main, the other the flow is controlled on pulse. But they dont change. Each pumps flows just stays the same. Not on and off opposite each other.

So it's the last bit on alternating flow I can't get. Please help (again lol)

**I just have to say this, and it must have been said 10000 times. That although Tunze cost a fair amoutn more than other pumps, they are sooooooo much more worth than anything else I have used. The functionality, the SERVICE, the quietness... eevvveerrything.. AND the cost. They last soooo long. You have to replace other pumps many times over compared to the life of my Tunze stream. But really, the service...

TY again

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2019, 02:47 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

Make sure on the main controller that pulse is set to something other than off, this is the number of seconds between the two speeds. It sounds like everything is set basically correctly but pulsing is off or maybe a photocell is connected and in the dark.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2019, 02:42 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Thank you!

Make sure on the main controller that pulse is set to something other than off, this is the number of seconds between the two speeds. It sounds like everything is set basically correctly but pulsing is off or maybe a photocell is connected and in the dark.
I think I almost have it. But I still don't
On the controller that is not the one with external led on (I guess this is the main one), I have the pulse time set to the middle setting, so it's activated. But I still can't get alternating action. One pump pulses, the other one just stays at one speed.

Unread 10/24/2019, 02:52 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Can you post or email me a photo of the settings on the controllers?

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 10/24/2019, 03:35 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

ok..
I set one pump to external mode (main pump) and on that main pump I held food timer button 2 seconds. The other pump is where to set the dials. But also, what setting do I put that one on?
Also an issue might be the top dial on that controller is tight and at the same time seems to dial past where it should both directions. I may have been turning it too much trying to figure this out. this is the new controller. I still have the old one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller.jpg (42.9 KB, 14 views)
Unread 10/25/2019, 08:01 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The one on the right should be in pulse mode, main speed set to the highest speed you want, pulse set other than off, pulse speed set to the lowest speed you want. The one on the left should be in external mode, the main speed at 100%, the other two knobs to off.

What you describe sounds like a broken knob. I am also a little concerned about the salt creep on the one controller, it is in a location that if water entered it would plausibly knock out the din connection so it won't respond to the other controller.

Unread 10/25/2019, 09:35 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
The one on the right should be in pulse mode, main speed set to the highest speed you want, pulse set other than off, pulse speed set to the lowest speed you want. The one on the left should be in external mode, the main speed at 100%, the other two knobs to off.

What you describe sounds like a broken knob. I am also a little concerned about the salt creep on the one controller, it is in a location that if water entered it would plausibly knock out the din connection so it won't respond to the other controller.
Hi Roger
The one on the right is set to external. So I take it off that and put it in pulse?
It may have gotten some spray some time ago. But I dont think it's in an area that it gets it with any frequency. Should I open it and check the connections?

Also I have the 'old controllers' in addtion to the new ones. So I have things to work with. If it's just the knobs on the one I can see about switching those out and see what happens.

But mainly for now, >>> the right side is external, but you say to change that to pulse now?

TY!

Unread 10/25/2019, 09:42 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Sorry, I was not fully awake yet, from the photo left should be in pulse, right in external, it honestly does not matter which one is set which way just so long as one is set to each way.

Unread 10/25/2019, 09:47 AM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry, I was not fully awake yet, from the photo left should be in pulse, right in external, it honestly does not matter which one is set which way just so long as one is set to each way.
I GOT IT!!!!.. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!! .. wonderful! lol. This makes my day
I'll open the salt creep one and check that. And I'll change the knob on the other one. spare parts

TYYYY

Unread 10/26/2019, 10:42 AM   #10
CTaylor
Registered Member

How does night mode work? I notice that one pump seems to operate, other one is off as in no flow, just the occasional 'flutter' ? the one that operates goes in main mode?
Also does it take some time for the night mode to actvate when it is dark? and some time to go back in day mode when lights are on? IOW (in other words) is there a delay?

TYYYY

Unread 10/28/2019, 08:29 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Night mode generally would stop pulsing and the pump stays at pulse speed. In this case with inverse set, one pump would stay at pulse one at main, but pulsing will stop. The pump that is fluttering may have the speed set a little too low, try turning up pulse speed just a small amount.