Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2018, 01:24 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

set up for a sps tiny qt tank?

I have a 7 gallon mini bowfront I'd like to consider to use for my QT tank. Mainly for corals -- mostly SPS. I'd like to do it right, so I'd like to have a small skimmer in some type of hang on back 'sump'. Tank is 18" left to right, height 12".
I have an LED already, though it might not be strong enough, zet light :
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/za-12...-zetlight.html
I was thinking to use a small power filter (in place of sump) and this skimmer:
https://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Gla...FIPSNS-vi.html
I dont want the corals in QT to die though b/c they are not getting the conditions they need and the above is minimalistic.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by CTaylor; 04/17/2018 at 06:25 PM.
CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 01:01 AM   #2
FaithKlim
Registered Member

What about this HOB filter w skimmer? I use it on my QT tank:
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=74111&catid=3

FaithKlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 08:47 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

I love that . In your QT, what type of light do you have? Is it a fish or coral, sps QT? Do you keep your QT also as a little display tank also?
But THAT looks like a great piece to any QT.
Thanks

Unread 04/18/2018, 09:50 AM   #4
mattgumaer
Registered Member

You may have much more experience than me but, when I see a 7 gallon sps quarantine, I think trouble. For more difficult SPS, stability is king and keeping a 7 gallon tank stable, in my opinion, is far more difficult than keeping a large tank stable. You also may find that it requires a lot of the same equipment to keep it very stable (ato, dosing, skimmer, etc.) that a larger tank would require so, the cost savings of going small might not be that great. Just my semi-informed two cents but, for an sps quarantine, I'd try to go bigger, space permitting. The tank itself is a small fraction of the total set up cost so, getting a new larger tank is unlikely to significantly impact budget (although lighting a bigger tank may be more expensive). If you're looking for something to do with your 7 gallon tank, I'd suggest keeping some things that might get lost in a larger tank like some sexy shrimp, a small goby, etc.. Good luck.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 09:56 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

anything more than the 7 gallon would be an eyesore. I dont have any place to put another tank. My apt is tiny. If I did this Id have to do manual top offs of evap water daily, and daily dosing of two part Ca/alk. It was one of my concerns that the SPS would die from lack of ideal conditions before hitting the DT. The only other route I have is to do short dip in coral RX prior to putting in my tank (which I hav enot even been doing that). But that will not kill the eggs of any pests like AEFW. Though I think dipping might stress out the coral more than the benefit of killing any hatched pests. I dont know what to do. ugh.

Unread 04/18/2018, 11:26 AM   #6
FaithKlim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
I love that . In your QT, what type of light do you have? Is it a fish or coral, sps QT? Do you keep your QT also as a little display tank also?
But THAT looks like a great piece to any QT.
Thanks
No light on QT. I use it for fish only, bare bottom with that filter/skimmer & a heater. I QT all fish around 30 days, treat w prazipro for 2 weeks. Observe 2nd two weeks then add to DT if healthy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FaithKlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:41 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Thanks Faith

Unread 04/18/2018, 12:08 PM   #8
ClownNut
Registered Member

if you do it right you dont need QT tank.
cut base off, make sure no dead spot and dip the coral with your favor dipping method. i haven't found anything will make it through that.
unless you want to setup another sps tank, QTing sps under non ideal condition will most likely result in brown out or white stick.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 12:19 PM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

Thanks Clown,
Though I was thinking of QT for future corals. This coral may not be diseased. I'm still lowering the alk. down to 8.5 now. Hopefully 7's by tomorrow. And maybe if I'm really lucky the bleaching will stop. Some of my other acros outer tips on the outer branches also have bleaching, but also have live tissue on the bleaching still it seems. If the bleaching on this particualr coral continues, then yes I will have to somehow cut off the base , VERY THICK. I likely need to get a good chisel, not just using a flat screw driver as one. and then dip.

Unread 04/18/2018, 12:58 PM   #10
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:
If I did this Id have to do manual top offs of evap water daily, and daily dosing of two part Ca/alk.
If this is the concern, have you considered a one-way water exchange system?

E.g. Dropping water from your DT to the QT and have QT overflow into a waste container. Then have fresh make up water to replace the water that went from the DT to QT.
Coral should be acclimated to your display water that way as well. Obviously you will need to coordinate top off water and this is something you could patch together or use an AWC to do.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 01:01 PM   #11
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

check this out
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2664184

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 02:59 PM   #12
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Quote:
anything more than the 7 gallon would be an eyesore. I dont have any place to put another tank. My apt is tiny. If I did this Id have to do manual top offs of evap water daily, and daily dosing of two part Ca/alk. It was one of my concerns that the SPS would die from lack of ideal conditions before hitting the DT. The only other route I have is to do short dip in coral RX prior to putting in my tank (which I hav enot even been doing that). But that will not kill the eggs of any pests like AEFW. Though I think dipping might stress out the coral more than the benefit of killing any hatched pests. I dont know what to do. ugh.
I don't know how many acros you have in your DT but, I'd probably start by putting some directly in the DT and trying to become adept at caring for them there. The risk of problems can be reduced by cutting off the plugs up to healthy tissue and dipping them before introducing them into your display. If you do get something like AEFW, your losses will be limited initially since you won't have many acros. I hate to say it but, if you're having trouble keeping acros in your main tank, I think a small QT will only be more frustrating for you.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:13 PM   #13
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi Matt,
I know what the acros need ideally. To hit that, I need some more PO4 and No3. It's a quandry b/c for instance one acro with bleach marks is at same time spreading on to the base rock it's on, so it's happy and not happy (that that one). out of the 10 I have, I have the major issue with the one talked about mainly here. And Slight issue with the one that has been growing onto base rock, and two others with whiter tips on some branches, that is not spreading. It seems to me that it may very well be the lack of p04 and no3 with my higher alk (lowering to under 8 by tomorrow). I think my coral with the problem I first wrote about here SEEMS to have slowed down in its bleaching -- I'm taking daily pics to compare. My QT comment was for future corals coming in to prevent future bugs coming in (hoping I dont already have an infection).
JZ: I'll have to think about that when I have a minute
SOlitude: I'll check that when I have a minute or 10
Thanks!