Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/01/2009, 09:06 PM   #76
LoyalConvict
Registered Member

scott, you should totaly change your name to "thread pimp"

i guess i'll introduce myself

my name is ted i work 3rd shift at a company called merit gear http://www.meritgear.com/ i started this hobby about 4 years ago the guy that got me into it gave me a ton of bad advice but got me hooked, i'm special as i get to go to foster and smiths only retail store and use to attend the reef club meetings in the Live Aquaria aqua culture coral facility and see their set-up and their divers den fish and coral section and so on, but the people at DFS are super nice and give me great deals and some freebies every now and then too. i dream of having a 300+ gallon tank but have to settle with my little 90 (for now)

I Have - Ichthyophobia, Hydrophobia, Hyalophobia,
and Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Current Tank Info: 90 Reef, 55 fuge - 75 FOWLR 30 fuge
Unread 01/01/2009, 09:19 PM   #77
ReiferMadness
Registered Member

Edmond Oklahoma here

Hey everyone, Eric Richardson here. I was part of this group years ago (tried to go back and find my original name unsuccessfully) I used to have a 75g reef and 110g predator tanks. I got out of it because of the amount of travel and public speaking and training I was doing at the time and ignoring my tank so I donated them to a friend (which are still successfully running)

Anyway, I run the sales department of a great real estate software company, a la mode and I've been there for 11 years. I'm also a successful REALTOR (don't throw things at me and my website is MyOklahome

Now that I'm home I got the itch again and bought my 50g tank, 50 lbs. live rock and 50lb sand for a good base. The tank is currently cycling.

I bought a Current USA Outer Orbit light to give proper lighting to my corals I'm planning on keeping.

What I have learned coming back to the hobby is PATIENCE. I'm satisfied watching my tank just simmering. In that time I am doing a TON of homework about what to have in my tank.

Sorry for the rambling but that's about it. I love coming on here and drooling over the "Large Reef Tank" strings. But then again, my tank is beautiful and it's perfect for my home.

Thanks all!!!

Current Tank Info: 47 gallon glass tank. 24" Current USA Outer Orbit lighting, Rena FilStar xP2 filtration, 50 lbs. live rock with 3" sand base Rena heater and ZooMed Powersweep PH

Last edited by ReiferMadness; 01/01/2009 at 09:36 PM.
Unread 01/01/2009, 09:29 PM   #78
Texxxx
Registered Member

Hello, My name is Bruce. I have been reading post here for several weeks. Learning everything I can before I flush to much $ in dead critters.
I picked up a 125 tank and a bunch of stuff several years ago when a friend of mine moved. It was set up as a fish only tank so some of it I wont use. I'm in the process of building a stand and a canape that matches the rest of the furniture in the house. I will probably start a build thread when I get a little further along with the stand. Work may slow down the process though. I fell in love with reefs many years ago when I did some diving in the South Pacific.

Unread 01/01/2009, 09:47 PM   #79
Hookup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
Tim---here is a great site on refugiums and sumps
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...4#post14043894

I dare you to read all 4 splits
I tried, I really did... Got to pg 11... let's see, 4 spits x40 pages... so i got to pg 11 of 160+ I'll keep going back to it.

I did like the idea of creating a spraybar that can tumble the cheato every so often. Pretty easy to setup.

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Unread 01/01/2009, 10:55 PM   #80
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texxxx
Hello, My name is Bruce. I have been reading post here for several weeks. Learning everything I can before I flush to much $ in dead critters.
I picked up a 125 tank and a bunch of stuff several years ago when a friend of mine moved. It was set up as a fish only tank so some of it I wont use. I'm in the process of building a stand and a canape that matches the rest of the furniture in the house. I will probably start a build thread when I get a little further along with the stand. Work may slow down the process though. I fell in love with reefs many years ago when I did some diving in the South Pacific.

To Reef Central Bruce

Look forward to your build thread--alot of learning goes on in build threads.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 01/01/2009, 10:57 PM   #81
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hookup
I tried, I really did... Got to pg 11... let's see, 4 spits x40 pages... so i got to pg 11 of 160+ I'll keep going back to it.

I did like the idea of creating a spraybar that can tumble the cheato every so often. Pretty easy to setup.
I am in the process of taking the highlights out of the thread and putting them in the Capn's Logbook Blog

glad you are taking something away from the thread all ready--so many ideas are on there from so many different reefers

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 01/01/2009, 11:15 PM   #82
tco17
Registered Member

Guess I will start down this road. Mostly I've been a lurker for years. Didn't have time to post on line. I still don't really have the time but a new laptop allows me to surf and post while watching TV and stuff. My name is Steve and I live in Blackfoot,ID. I am 42 years old. I have been into aquariums since age 12. My current aquaium is a large reef built into the wall in my familyroom. Mostly its all DIY. I hope I can learn from others and provide the benifit of my misstakes and successes to others.....

Unread 01/02/2009, 03:02 AM   #83
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

wow a few more members since i went to bed yesterday, welcome to reef central guys and thanks for posting here, and jesse (misled) i bet its a shock to get out of the lounge now and again, he he, and many many thanks to scott, (capn_hyliner) for the welcomes to the new members, if you new members want some advice have a click on the capns red house

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 01/02/2009, 10:06 AM   #84
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

ive seen at least 6 new members with less than 50 posts today posting on the new to the hobby forum, thats fantastic, why not post on here as well and you will get a warm welcome, please post your tank size and future stocking intentions and anything else you feel comfrotable posting, thanks

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 01/02/2009, 10:20 AM   #85
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Darn Mike,

Six new ones? Give me a few minutes and I'll run them off.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
Unread 01/02/2009, 11:56 AM   #86
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tco17
Guess I will start down this road. Mostly I've been a lurker for years. Didn't have time to post on line. I still don't really have the time but a new laptop allows me to surf and post while watching TV and stuff. My name is Steve and I live in Blackfoot,ID. I am 42 years old. I have been into aquariums since age 12. My current aquaium is a large reef built into the wall in my familyroom. Mostly its all DIY. I hope I can learn from others and provide the benifit of my misstakes and successes to others.....

To Reef Central Steve

DYI is a respected term on reef central. Hopefully you will set up your own build thread and post some pictures. That will be very interesting to fellow dyi members.

Unread 01/02/2009, 11:58 AM   #87
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
Darn Mike,

Six new ones? Give me a few minutes and I'll run them off.

Way to go Waterkeeper ---what a hoot

Unread 01/02/2009, 11:59 AM   #88
Blown76mav
Registered Member

Pretty sure I did this once before, but her it goes.

Hello all, my name is Lonnie and I just recently got into this great hobbie(habit). I'm 40 years old and have two kids(5 and 9) and a wife. My other hobbies are drag racing and working on cars, I teach at the University of Northwestern Ohio. And yes I have a 76 Maverick with a 6-71 blower on it.

I have had freshwater fish for a few years and always wanted a saltwater tank. Within the first month of deciding to do this I went from a 55 gallon to a 65 gallon and now am looking at a 90 but I know it won't be big enough, so I'm going to keep going with the 65 and upgrade to a 180 or 220 in a year or so.

My 65g has been up and running for almost three months and seems to be doing quite well. I have a pair of clowns, a sailfin tang and a blue face angel in there at the moment. I know I will be in need of a much larger tank, don't send the fish police after me. I have recently started looking at corals and such and want to start adding some soon. I also have been building acrylic sumps for a few people and I am getting ready to start on a frag tank for another friend. I've been tossing around doing a custom tank for myself 4' x 4' x 30" with a center overflow and return. Just need a place to put it.

Current Tank Info: 240g in wall, 150g sump.
Unread 01/02/2009, 12:02 PM   #89
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LoyalConvict
scott, you should totaly change your name to "thread pimp"

i guess i'll introduce myself

my name is ted i work 3rd shift at a company called merit gear http://www.meritgear.com/ i started this hobby about 4 years ago the guy that got me into it gave me a ton of bad advice but got me hooked, i'm special as i get to go to foster and smiths only retail store and use to attend the reef club meetings in the Live Aquaria aqua culture coral facility and see their set-up and their divers den fish and coral section and so on, but the people at DFS are super nice and give me great deals and some freebies every now and then too. i dream of having a 300+ gallon tank but have to settle with my little 90 (for now)
what a cool idea for a reef name here-----thread pimp----hmmm might be great to change to that.

Ted, if you go through the Capn Log Blogs there are references to probably over 500 threads on Reef Central. It helps you learn the way around on this web site.

Unread 01/02/2009, 12:03 PM   #90
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
wow a few more members since i went to bed yesterday, welcome to reef central guys and thanks for posting here, and jesse (misled) i bet its a shock to get out of the lounge now and again, he he, and many many thanks to scott, (capn_hyliner) for the welcomes to the new members, if you new members want some advice have a click on the capns red house
Michael--its an honour to be contributing to one of your threads

Unread 01/02/2009, 12:09 PM   #91
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

This thread is like an AA meeting-

Hi, I'm Reefer C. and I have a reefing problem.

Tom

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 01/02/2009 at 12:14 PM.
Unread 01/02/2009, 12:12 PM   #92
Blown76mav
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm Reefer C. and I have a reefing problem.
AA is for quiters. If you don't admit your addicted to reefing your still nomal.

Unread 01/02/2009, 12:44 PM   #93
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:

Welcome Water keeper

To Reef Central

Unread 01/02/2009, 01:53 PM   #94
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
Welcome Water keeper

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 01/02/2009, 02:33 PM   #95
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:

its called having no money

MIKE

Unread 01/02/2009, 06:49 PM   #96
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Bump.

I've never done that before but I'm interested in how many more Newbies will introduce themselves. I try to purge as many as I can but a few slip through the cracks.

Tom

Unread 01/02/2009, 07:57 PM   #97
stricknine
Registered Member

Hey all, my name is Matt. Young pup (to most) from Alberta Canada. Been here for over 6 months, bought a 24G on somewhat of an impulse and have been helped out here ever since. Didnt really know the whole story on SW, but have the bug now. Just finished the last coat of Varathane on my new tank stand about an hour ago so I finally get to upgrade to a whole new set of problems. I'll be around here for a while!

Thanks to all - and RC in general, makes this a lot easier... and possible!

Unread 01/02/2009, 08:40 PM   #98
DVader
Registered Member

Hey guys, my name is Steve and I'm 42 going on 25, living in Maryland, USA. I've just started my first 75 gallon reef tank and under the stand is a 29 gallon sump that I have installed several baffels, a refugium, and a ASM-2 skimmer. For my lighting I have a Tek light w/ 6 T5 bulbs. ((3- ATI Blue Plus,1-ATI Pro Color, 1-UV Super Blue Actinic, 1-UV 75/25) Thanks to GrimReefer) My close loop pump is a Panworld that moves 1200GPH and a 7.5 Mag for the sump loop. There is about 100lbs. of rock and 2 - 3 inches of sand. I've done freshwater for the last 15 years and thought after seeing my brother-in-laws reef tank, that I might take a drive myself. As of right now, the tank has been fully running for 3 weeks and my tank is going through a big algae bloom (Long Hair) I've started dosing vodka and tomorrow I will be buying a phosphate test kit. I have a clean up crew but I could use a few more turbo snails. I've done enough reading to know that it takes time to get a tank established, so I'm not worried about the algae bloom, In time with proper care, it will go away. By trade, I'm a building engineer, so I love to tinker with mechanical systems, which has been half the fun for me with designing and building my system.

I saw WaterKeeper's and Michael's post and thought I would intoduce myself. Thanks and I look forward with reefing with all of you.

Current Tank: 75 Gal. Mix Reef, 29Gal Sump/Refugium, Tek Light T-5 324w, ASM-2 Skimmer, 1200gph Close Loop, Dosing 2 part

Soon to have Ca Reactor, 2-250w 20000K MH, VorTech MP40
Unread 01/02/2009, 10:13 PM   #99
tco17
Registered Member

I'll add alittle more info and ask my first question. First a quick run down on the stocking in my tank. Fish first...1 Pajama Cardinal, 2 Yellow Strip Maroon clowns, 1 Lawnmower Blennie, 1 Coral Beauty Angel, 1 Sailfin Tang, 1 Pacific Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Tang, 1 Fish I collected in Hawaii(no idea what it is), 3 Yellow Tangs, and a dozen or so Blue/Green Cromis. In the frag tank still debating if I should add to the main tank...1 Fox Face, 1 Niger Trigger, and two more Lawnmower blennies. Invert next posting and then corals. Now for the question...How do I get a quote to appear with my postings? I have a short saying that I feel really applies to reef keeping.

Unread 01/02/2009, 10:30 PM   #100
tco17
Registered Member

Now for inverts. 1 Long Spine urchin, 1 Pencil Urchin, several Pink Urchins that where collected in Hawaii, 1 Coral Banded Shrimp, 1 Purple Reef Lobster(I don't see him very often but just when I think he dead and gone I see him again). 5 or 6 Sea Cucumbers, 15 or 20 Brittle Stars(also collected in Hawaii), countless snails and hermits, and countless Mini Brittle Stars. Corals on the next posting. Of course in my previous post when I said "D.Y.I." I meant D.I.Y. Having spent 10 years in the Navy I have just about reached my lifetime limit for acronyms. Also if it is not obvious to everyone by now spelling was not my strong suit in school. Hopefully I will still be able to get my point across.

Closed Thread