Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2011, 01:32 PM   #76
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
Nice looking setup I personally would suggest staying away from carbon bacteria driven systems. I dont know others manage to keep enough nutrients in the tank. I had some major problems carbon dosing, stripped the water clean and had some sps die and all others browned out. Keep up the good work.
thanks a lot allsps40 for your input and really appreciate your comment....this is the first time i am attempting to dose Prodibio in a system and i am researching about this in depth so i can get a proper ratio to suit my tank.

Yes, there is a possibilty of it stripping water clean, but a weekly water change of 20% becomes absolutely mandatory in such a case which will help in replenishing the elements and also feeding the inhabitants(corals and fish) will add some nutrients into the water...i hope this will help in sustaining the corals and inhabitants...

I will update my progress and experience with this dosing as my thread progresses...

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 04:23 PM   #77
tbettis
Registered Member

subscribing

Current Tank Info: 180 new build. My Reef Creations
tbettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 11:29 PM   #78
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

hey tbettis, welcoming to the ride buddy!!

Thanks for joining in...

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Unread 07/16/2011, 02:20 AM   #79
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Cleaning Crew...

These four snails were added today...
The first inhabitants of the tank

I dont know the name of these...but they are from my other running reef tank....i added four of them when i had started the tank and they have bred like crazy and so many are there roaming in it now

I like them coz they are tiny, unobtrusive and busy full time on the rocks and the glass cleaning algae...the tiny rambos and yeah also busy "breeding"

Unread 07/16/2011, 09:53 AM   #80
curlykid
Registered Member

those snails look similar to nassarius. love your setup btw.

Unread 07/16/2011, 02:18 PM   #81
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlykid View Post
those snails look similar to nassarius. love your setup btw.
thanks curlykid...i researched about the snails i had and they are called Lightning dove snails (Pictocolumbella ocellata)....cool name right!

They are not so common in the aquarium trade i guess, it wasnt easy to identify this species coz there are so many species around...

I would definately recommend them as they are great algae scavengers

Here's some pics i found...

Last edited by Reef_Noob; 07/16/2011 at 02:34 PM.
Unread 07/21/2011, 10:55 AM   #82
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

hello guys ...just a lil update....

The tank is cycling with the Hydor 2800s on full time, the RR wavemaker in antisynchronous pulse mode, the nano wavemakers on full time. The Hydor 4000s on a timer with hourly alternating on-off shchedule and they are off at night switching back on at dawn.

Initial Lighting Schedule...

RGB-P light bar on a dawn to dusk effect setting with moonlight LEDs on at night
T5 LED tubes x 2 ON for 7 hours
T8 LED tubes x 2 ON for 5 hours
MAIN LED x 2 ON for 3 hours

The RGB-P light bar bar turns on first in a dim mode and slowly brightens creating a dawn effect, then the T5 LED tubes comes on followed by the T8s and finally both the main LEDs.
They switch off in a reverse schedule...finally with the RGB-P light bar slowly dimming down and the built in "moonlight" LEDs switch on.

I am currently keeping the main LED lights at 30% power (the 455nM blue at 30% and 9000K white also at 30%)and ON for 3 hours daily...Planning to gradually increase the intensity and duration at weekly intervals...just attempting to prevent any sudden algae outbreaks if any at all...

At present i see the customary brown colour patches of algae growth on the sand bed and on the rock....i sift the sand weekly to prevent any "clumping"

Things looking normal...till now...

Unread 07/21/2011, 11:36 AM   #83
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

I am planning on a sump upgrade....plus a skimmer upgrade too...

These are the contenders...

The ATB Small

The Bubble Magus BM220-CS with Eheim 1260

The Bubble King Mini 180 Gen 2

Any suggestions or recommendations guys???

Unread 07/21/2011, 03:20 PM   #84
aquaph8
Love The Fish

I think you would be happy with any of those skimmers. I'd go with the ATB though.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2011, 09:55 PM   #85
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaph8 View Post
I think you would be happy with any of those skimmers. I'd go with the ATB though.
thanks aquaph8....so 1 vote for the ATB...

Unread 07/21/2011, 09:59 PM   #86
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Peek inside the Hood...

Unread 07/21/2011, 10:02 PM   #87
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Started dosing Seachem fusion 1&2

Unread 07/29/2011, 10:23 AM   #88
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Just a small update....

The tank is cycling...26 days now...

I can see some brown algae on the rocks and the sand...its there in small scale and in control at the moment, and hopefully it wont go outta control

Here are the stats for now:

Salinity: 1.025ppt

Temperature: 26 - 27 Celcius (Sander Temp moniter)

pH: 8.28 - 8.3 (pH controller)

Alkalinity: 8.3 dKH (Salifert)

Ammonia: nil (Red Sea)

Nitrites: 0.05ppm (Red Sea)

Nitrates: 0ppm (API)

Calcium: 460ppm (API)

Phosphates: 0ppm (API)

Lighting:
Schedule has not been changed its the same as before except that the CREE LED main fixtures cranked up to 60% power now.

Dosing:
Bacterya (Equo) weekly and Bioptim (Prodibio) every 2 weeks.
Seachem fusion 1&2 (10ml each) every four days.

Maintenance:
Cleaning glass
Sand sifting
Skimmer cup cleaned every 3 days
Running GAC and GFO full time (thru Reactors)

Last edited by Reef_Noob; 07/29/2011 at 11:15 AM.
Unread 07/29/2011, 10:44 AM   #89
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Started to add Fiji Mud....to replenish trace elements in a more natural way.

Unread 07/31/2011, 10:38 PM   #90
astroreevo
Registered Member

do you have a theme for this tank? it looks awesome

astroreevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 11:38 PM   #91
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Your on your way. Hows the skimmer debate going?

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
Unread 08/01/2011, 12:16 AM   #92
A. Grandis
Registered Member

I've got an ATB and love it!!
If you've got the room for it, get it.

Nice set up!!!

Grandis.

A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2011, 07:04 AM   #93
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroreevo View Post
do you have a theme for this tank? it looks awesome
thanks astroreevo for ya compliment....

Well i had planned and envisioned on a reef scape and had to wait quite a while to get the right rock pieces to bring that to life....

To be honest i wanted to have a "mix" of themes in my tank.....

And since you asked for it...i am making an attempt to explain with a tacky pic lol...

Unread 08/01/2011, 07:12 AM   #94
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Your on your way. Hows the skimmer debate going?
Hey Brett ...

About the skimmer debate, well ATB has 1 vote from ya....and no one else has joined in on the debate as such is everyone scared to vote/recommend or what

Need to have more people joining in the vote....

Personally, I am leaning towards the Bubble King ....what do ya think? So 1 vote to Bubble King

thanks for stoppin by again...

Last edited by Reef_Noob; 08/01/2011 at 07:17 AM.
Unread 08/01/2011, 07:16 AM   #95
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Grandis View Post
I've got an ATB and love it!!
If you've got the room for it, get it.

Nice set up!!!

Grandis.
Yo Grandis....thanks for the el complimento!!!!

Oooooooo 2 votes for ATB now.....

I am in the design phase of a sump upgrade now...to utilize the maximum available space in my cabinet and accomodate one of the 3 skimmers i had posted for a debate...

Will keep ya all posted...

Unread 08/01/2011, 10:45 AM   #96
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Chiller TECO-TR15 (with UV)....

Got a chiller TECO Model TR-15 with a built-in UV lamp attachment.
The UV filter can be switched on/off separately, so planning to use it only if required, in case of a disease outbreak
It has a "silent" mode which can be switched on/off

The chiller has an option for a built-in heater attachment, which i havent got at the moment, will add if required if the temp falls too low.

The quality of the chiller is top notch and came highy recommended, as its quiet, reliable and durable....

Some Technical details:

• high efficiency patented titanium exchanger.
• increases cooling efficiency and provides considerable energy savings thanks to the length of the titanium 30% higher than standard.
• ecological units.

Digital Thermostat
• easy-to-use digital temperature control system.
• maintains the desired set temperature within 1°C.
• temperature’s range 0° - 35°C.
• °C or °F displayed temperature.
• security alarms.

Cooling Power Consumption - 380 w
Ecological Refrigerant - R134a
Min. Flow rate - 500 lt / h
Tank Size up to 800 lt
(water temp. 25°C - Room temp. 30°C - Heating load 0,3 w / lt)
Dimensions - 27 x 43 x 45 (h) cm
Weight - 18 kg
Connections - 16 or 20 mm

Back...

Unread 08/01/2011, 02:02 PM   #97
pimp2daizzo
Registered Member

where did you get the led tubes, and how do you install them?? i have the same main led units you do and right now im running t5 on the side of them but i kinda want to go all led. and can i jsut take out the old bulbs and put them right in?

pimp2daizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2011, 02:46 PM   #98
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Noob View Post
Hey Brett ...

About the skimmer debate, well ATB has 1 vote from ya....and no one else has joined in on the debate as such is everyone scared to vote/recommend or what

Need to have more people joining in the vote....

Personally, I am leaning towards the Bubble King ....what do ya think? So 1 vote to Bubble King

thanks for stoppin by again...
I think thats a great skimmer too. You'll be happy either way. I like the rocks too, cant wait to see some life in there.

Unread 08/02/2011, 07:40 AM   #99
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

hello pimp2daizzo , thanks for viewing....

The LED tubes they cannot be used in same fixture as that of T5, because they run without ballasts.

Unread 08/02/2011, 07:51 AM   #100
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
I think thats a great skimmer too. You'll be happy either way. I like the rocks too, cant wait to see some life in there.
@Brett

Yup almost time to add one/two fishes in...

Tank up and running for 30 days now.The tank parameters are quite stable, Ammonia and Nitrite at 0ppm...so i am planning to add couple of tiny fishes..but i am gonna be selective in what fishes i am gonna put in my tank.

The brown "film" algae is almost but disappeared and specs of coralline algae is beginning to show up on some of the rocks now....

I am still running GAC and GFO in the reactors.

Tags
bubble king skimmer, reef_noob, sps tank build