Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2019, 10:54 AM   #1
karlandtanya
Registered Member

Fungia reproducing

Started with one plate coral; after a few months a tiny critter showed up & grew into another. A few months later, it happened again.
The first "new" one grew on a live rock, so it's not supported very well at the edges and it has pieces that droop down.
I've heard these things reproduce when they're under stress, but they all seem to be growing, have nice purple color (flash photos below are yecch, but I wanted to show the form, not so much brag about colors), and a good feeding response when spot-fed.

Does this one look like it's under stress, or do they just do this sometimes?

The pix below were taken with a flash, so the colors are different than the purple & white that they normally show.

60 gal. tank w/ T5 HO lamps, 2 420s, 2 460s, and 2 10Ks. Magnesium is 1500, Calcium 400, Carbonate 9.5. (Mg is high because I used an old test kit and overcorrected!)

karlandtanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2019, 11:49 AM   #2
jcook54
Registered Member

Wow. I've never seen anything like that and I really do wish I could help. I'm going to tag along and see if anyone has something to add. That is really strange though, thanks for posting and hopefully you'll get a more experienced response.

jcook54 is offline   Reply With Quote