Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2020, 10:04 PM   #1
Pen3
Registered Member

Building RO unit.

I just moved into a new house and the previous owner bought two 20" big blue filter housings, but never got them installed. I am not interested in a wohle house filter setup, but have always wanted an RO unit. I was wondering if i could use them instead of purchasing a new kit from BRS. Is a 25-1 micron sediment with a single carbon filter, such as the CBC20-BB be enough or do i need to purchase another big blue for a second carbon filter?

Everything else looks straight forward and the house has 80 psi pressure.

Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

No need for a second one, just the RO unit + a DI.

Unread 07/13/2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Tcook
Premium Member

I would buy a third 20" for the DI resin and buy an RO canister. That would give you a nice 4 stage ro/di system. You'd need a few other small components, pressure gauge, back flush, tds meter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2020, 05:07 PM   #4
chbix
Registered Member

If im reading this correctly your going to run a sediment filter and carbon filter and thats it? It doesnt sound like you have an RO membrane or DI cartridge. Most of the 4 stage systems run a sediment filter, a carbon filter, RO Membrane and then the DI. Unless I am missing something.

chbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2020, 10:05 PM   #5
Pen3
Registered Member

Oh no, i will have a full RO setup, i was wondering if one carbon was enough. I will have a 150gpd membrane, DI, asov and storage tank.

Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2020, 09:17 AM   #6
chbix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Oh no, i will have a full RO setup, i was wondering if one carbon was enough. I will have a 150gpd membrane, DI, asov and storage tank.
Yeah 1 carbon is fine, as stated most of the budget systems are 1 sediment, 1 carbon, 1 ro membrane and the mix bed DI resin. If you are fighting chloromine from your city water you can change the carbon filter for one that is specific to those chemicals or add another one. But your setup should be fine as a baseline.

chbix is offline   Reply With Quote