Macropharyngodon meleagris 78 33.05%
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 29 12.29%
Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2009, 07:14 AM   #351
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

thats a good question , i always like to let them do as they may but there may be an advantage in getting them "stirred up" in certain circumstances . 99% of the time i would let them alone ,usually they are adjusting to light cycles and simply scared out of their scales ! it would be very stressful if someone caught me ,put me into a truck ,stuck me on a plane in a box back onto a truck and then locked my inside a closet for there own personel viewing and then fed me food that i had never seen in my life.i think i would end up in the corner myself ! give em time and room and most of all a stress free enviroment thatreplicates the reef as close as you can and that the best you can do . also some wrasses need treatments for removing parasites and other harmful critters .

ENJOY !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2009, 08:15 PM   #352
ento-reefer
Registered Member

I managed to get a shot with both of my leopards today so I thought I would share.

ento-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2009, 08:20 PM   #353
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

awesome picture ,always been partial to the choati 's . had four or five before just never got them past a couple of months . how long have you had the choati ? is he eating well ?

thanks Dave

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 06/14/2009, 08:30 PM   #354
ento-reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamwrasseman
awesome picture ,always been partial to the choati 's . had four or five before just never got them past a couple of months . how long have you had the choati ? is he eating well ?

thanks Dave
Remember I got mine a few weeks are you got your last two. Ours both came from Blue Zoo.

Ellen

Unread 06/14/2009, 08:40 PM   #355
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

oh yes Ellen i do , thats awesome that hes doing well , i really have tried hard to get them everything required but have missed something including luck . bid you use prazipro or any anti -parasite additives at all ? i think that was my mistake this time ,they looked great and ate like horses . well i guess they actually ate like fish but you get the jist . thanks for the updated picture ,its always great to see that they are all well . good luck too ,hope all continues well .

Dave

Unread 06/14/2009, 09:01 PM   #356
ento-reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
oh yes Ellen i do , thats awesome that hes doing well , i really have tried hard to get them everything required but have missed something including luck . bid you use prazipro or any anti -parasite additives at all ? i think that was my mistake this time ,they looked great and ate like horses . well i guess they actually ate like fish but you get the jist . thanks for the updated picture ,its always great to see that they are all well . good luck too ,hope all continues well .
I didn't use anything at first because like you, my choati came in very healthy and eating almost from day 1. When you posted that about the problems you were having with yours I decided to go ahead and treat my whole tank with prazi pro. I did the 1 treatment and I have not seen any signs of problems with mine. I am approaching the 3 month mark the end of June so I am hoping this means he is good. He eats just about anything I throw in the tank, and believe it or not he has started going after the algae clip along with the rest of my wrasse.

Unread 06/14/2009, 09:33 PM   #357
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

that is great ! i think that i will be trying them again next year but with much more caution . i think its great that reefers can communicate as we do and help others in the hobbie . it was probably a great call to treat your tank as you did when you heard feedback of problems . that may have been key in your fishes survival . i hope that next year when they are avialable i can get a couple and keep them because until recently discussing with you i was probably not going to attempt the choati but now i very well may ! one other thing ,and i dont want to change or ruin anything that you have going on but do you think it might be benifisal to dose again with the prazi-pro just to be sure there are no surviving parasites or do you feel that you got them all ? just gettn info for next year because the choati is my #1 favorite fish and it would be so cool to be able to keep one .also , what size tank do you have him in ,is it the 95 gal sps dominated tank ?i may be asking a bunch of questions but i really would like to have one some day as this fish has elluded me for many many years . at any rate the best of luck to ya and if you could please keep us posted i am very interested in the wellbeing of the choati as you may very well know . thanks ellen and sorry for forgetting earlier conversations but i really am almost to busy to know what year it is sometimes and im sorry for letting the little things slide by . thanks for any info you can give my and any updates in the future would be great as i already mentioned .

Dave

Unread 06/14/2009, 10:34 PM   #358
ento-reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
that is great ! i think that i will be trying them again next year but with much more caution . i think its great that reefers can communicate as we do and help others in the hobbie . it was probably a great call to treat your tank as you did when you heard feedback of problems . that may have been key in your fishes survival . i hope that next year when they are avialable i can get a couple and keep them because until recently discussing with you i was probably not going to attempt the choati but now i very well may ! one other thing ,and i dont want to change or ruin anything that you have going on but do you think it might be benifisal to dose again with the prazi-pro just to be sure there are no surviving parasites or do you feel that you got them all ? just gettn info for next year because the choati is my #1 favorite fish and it would be so cool to be able to keep one .also , what size tank do you have him in ,is it the 95 gal sps dominated tank ?i may be asking a bunch of questions but i really would like to have one some day as this fish has elluded me for many many years . at any rate the best of luck to ya and if you could please keep us posted i am very interested in the wellbeing of the choati as you may very well know . thanks ellen and sorry for forgetting earlier conversations but i really am almost to busy to know what year it is sometimes and im sorry for letting the little things slide by . thanks for any info you can give my and any updates in the future would be great as i already mentioned .
I am very thankful that you posted the information about yours. It may very well have saved my choati. I am not sure if another treatment is needed, what do you think? The tank he is in is a 95g sps dominated with good flow and an oversized skimmer. I have no plans on adding any more fish as it is stocked fairly heavy with 11. I am planning an upgrade in another year or so. I wonder if having three was the downfall? Maybe the last two you got brought something in? I would love to try another once I get a larger tank and I will definitely be treating this fish as a precaution. I will be sure and keep you updated. Just keep asking questions because you may think of something I haven't. I agree that exchanging information on forums such as is this is a great way to help others in the hobby.

Unread 06/15/2009, 04:20 PM   #359
rort
Registered Member

Well, about 3 weeks ago I picked up a Macropharyngodon Meleagris female!!! I have been haunting this thread for awhile learning up on this species to see what I have to do to keep it and I finally made the plunge! I had a LFS get it to me directly from the wholesalers to elevate some forms of stress.

I followed a few peoples advice here and did NOT quarantine but I did drip acclimation and also added Prazipro after for about 30 min.

I then released the wrasse directly in to the DT. The DT is a mixed reef with just about everything. I have a large refugium that keeps my yellow corris wrasse happy.

My only concern is that I never see her out at all! She has been in the tank for about 1-2 weeks now and ONLY comes out between 9am-1pm and is gone the rest of the time.

I never get a chance to feed her as I am usually at work during this time. Is this normal behavior?

*and this is my first try at keeping a Leopard Wrasse

Current Tank Info: Aquanano 60
rort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2009, 05:45 PM   #360
Postal
Registered Member

I thought I would share a pic of my Leopard Wrasse. I have had her about 4 months. So far so good. She is particularly fond of mysis and Rod's food.

Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2009, 06:02 PM   #361
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Nice fish! Sweet!

Unread 06/15/2009, 09:06 PM   #362
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

rort , because the fish that you have is rather delicate and finiky there are a couple of things that you will have to get him aquainted with first is the light cycle that he has been taken out of is much different than yours and it may take some time for him to get switched to yours . most do but some never figure it out ,some people try to start their cycle more "eastern"where thease fish come frome changing back to ours a couple of hours per week until its adjusted . the second thing is you have to se him eat and get him eating asap ,many times it take me using live brine shrimp to initiate the feeding response .after thease two hurdles it get easier each day and they usually will settle right in . i must remind you that you have a very difficult fish to keep and IMO 50 % dont even have a chance to survive once they are removed from the ocean due to the stress that we have placed upon them in many ways . good luck and do your best to get him eating as i stated already

Dave

Unread 06/18/2009, 05:27 PM   #363
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Which non-Leopard Wrasses would be the best Match? Peaceful in a reef?

So far I was thinking of Halichoeres melanurus & a Radiant.

But I would also like a non aggressive Flasher or Flame? It seems like a lot of people have issues when mixing certain Flames together & with other wrasses.

suggestions welcome!

Unread 06/18/2009, 05:55 PM   #364
Rickyrooz1
Acropora Nut

My baby Female Bluestar Leopard Wrasse, this fish is tiny (1.5")! When I first got it it would only eat live pods off the live rock. Now its been eating frozen and flake food, it mimics the larger fish in the tank.

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominated
Rickyrooz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2009, 06:19 PM   #365
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

the melanurus and radiant would certainly get along with each other . most fairys can go together unless their body markings are very similar . flashers are somewhat the same with the marking issue IMO .also flashers can get along with fairys but you have to make sure some of the more aggresive fairys are left till last . flame , pylei ,and the four striped hiawan are sometimes the exception and may have problems with territorial aggression . leopard wrasses are all good together but the morphed dominant male leopard will always defend his territory from any newcomer no matter what size or kind of fish it is . this is my observation after owning way to many wrasses and mixing different ones.

Dave

Unread 06/18/2009, 07:05 PM   #366
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Thanks!

So to clarify, I have a leopard, and I will get a melanurus. Then, I would like to add a flame or flasher (which ever is least aggressive) that is very "colorful" and won't lose color (good diet of course). It sounds like flames are the least aggressive of the two. I'm only adding one of these wrasses (or pair). Or even fairys. Could you give me like 5 to 10 to choose from with the most color, least aggressiveness with what I'm keeping? Thanks!

Unread 06/18/2009, 07:45 PM   #367
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

the flame would be the last as it is aggresive often.i would say that you can have any flasher ,there are so many to choose from it will be your preference.as for fairys that i like better than flashers i would look for a liniatus or rombloid if you have the money and if not lubbocks fairy,exquisite fairy,finespotted fairy ,re d or blue sided fairy ,or scotts fairy all would be good for you . beware of the scotts though you will need to have a large tank or he usually will go bezerk .as far as flashers i like the eight line ,mcCoskers,carpenters and filimented are all great community fish . hope im helping and not confusing you but there are way to many to list ,honestly i would myself look for complimenting colors with the fairys or flashers and ask your LFS about compatibility with the fish you find . take your time and look at many fish before you make a choice ,there will always be more and usually better choices once you buy yours so dont be in a hurry and any fish that i mentioned should have no problems with your current setup. i would stay away from the flame ,clown ,pylei,four lined,and also the mystery wrasse unless its gonna be your last addition . hope you get a great specimine and remember to cover your tank .one last question are they going into a reef tank or fish only because that can give you different options also.

Dave

Unread 06/18/2009, 09:00 PM   #368
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

I have a 55 now, with my lfs building me a 75 starfire with large sump and fuge. That's the biggest I want. I have mostly sps, a couple of clams. A lot of live rock. 4 year set up. I have 2 false percs, yasha hase w/ pistol, pinkbar w pistol, my MM Leopard, and 2 dragonface pipefish going on 3 years. I need peaceful fish that won't snack on my pipes or harass my leopards. A friend of mine is selling his lubbocks because it became too aggressive with his other wrasses. That's in his 185, acro dominated tank (worthy of tank of the month, I might add). These guys and gals that I know have a lot of wrasses, so I guess it's the similar size and color pattern causing thaws issues? That's what they think. I won't have that trouble. I'm looking at 150 to 200 max. I'm going with DD, I'm pretty sure. I'm in no rush, so I'm just trying to get my second round picked out, or at least a good direction. Thanks for all your help! Any further comments are appreciated and welcome.

Unread 06/19/2009, 04:58 AM   #369
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

actually, I went back to his post. It's not a lubbocks that was giving him trouble, it was "I have Flame super male, Yellow flanked super male, Lineatus super male, pink margin super male."

Unread 06/19/2009, 08:40 PM   #370
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

yes when you get a bunch of super males together there will be nothing but trouble .

Dave

Unread 06/20/2009, 04:41 AM   #371
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

gotcha! thanks!

Unread 06/20/2009, 12:24 PM   #372
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

just got a black leopard today ,he looks great . just dripping him now .

Dave

Unread 06/20/2009, 12:24 PM   #373
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

just got a black leopard today ,he looks great . just dripping him now .

Dave

Unread 06/20/2009, 03:26 PM   #374
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Oh, cool! DD has been getting in Biparts that have been going extremely quick!
Ralph

Unread 06/20/2009, 05:57 PM   #375
cateyes
Registered Member

do you guys recommend prazipro over metronidazol when adding a new wrasse to you display? i know the metronidazol is reef safe , how about the prazipro?
thanks ,, lisa

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon mixed reef, 35ish gallon RBTA tank..
cateyes is offline   Reply With Quote