Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2018, 03:13 PM   #1
sethd12
Registered Member

Upgrading from a 180 to a ..........

So guys, I need some help deciding how to move forward.

I had a 180 mixed reef setup for about 5 years before I decided to move last April. I unfortunately had to tear the tank down for several months so I donated all of the livestock to a local children's hospital for their large tank. Once I decided to set up the tank in the new home (a few weeks ago), I realized that the movers put quite a large chip in the bottom corner of the tank. So, unfortunately I will have to get a new tank. I have decided to take this unfortunate circumstance and create my dream tank. The wall that this tank will be placed on is about 15 feet long, so size is not an issue. I cannot seem to decide which size to go with. I was originally looking at the marineland 300DD, and then the Marineland 265 since it has the extra foot of length. I will be doing a mixed reef again, with a focus on fish that school so it will need to be large. This is where I need some input and advice for what size to move forward with.

Thanks in advance!

Unread 01/06/2018, 06:19 PM   #2
nsfishguy
Registered Member

I am currently also looking to upgrade from my 125 gal. I had a 265, not setup but planning on it, but I decided to sell it because I don't like the height. If it was wider than taller I would have kept it. I am now looking at my options as far as custom tank sizes. You have 15 ft, you could go huge. Let us know what you end up doing.

nsfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 07:09 PM   #3
saf1
Registered Member

I'd stay away from Marineland - especially the DD line. There have been several failure threads with regards to the 300DD. That was the tank I was ordering then changed and had a 240 gallon customized. I got the depth and height I was after with low iron glass. I'd probably go acrylic if I was to do it again.

Oh - one thing. I'm really digging the 30" height and depth. However, it does get rather interesting to do maintenance and aquascape. I didn't really give it much through before I placed my order but hind sight being 20/20 I'd probably also consider the depth if I was to do this again.

Side note - kudo's to donating to a children's hospital. My better half is a PICU RN/Nurse. Tough job. Those guys and gals on that floor have some serious special powers. I'm sure you brought many a smile to kids on that unit.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 07:19 PM   #4
sethd12
Registered Member

I have read several threads about the DD line. I have previously had a 150 cube from Marineland and it was fine for 2 years, but after reading all of the posts Im scared to go that direction again.

As far as dimensions I want at least 6 ft, if not 8. And depth is one of the best looking "dimensions" if there is one. That was what turned me on to the 300DD was the 30" of depths had. I have never had an acrylic tank, are there advantages over glass? I can be clumsy at times and the easily scrunchable surface has already pushed me away. But with this tank potentially being in the 300-400 gallon range I want to do this right.

Thanks saf1. The kids absolutely loved the fish I donated. Gave them names and everything. If I ever have to tear a tank down again all of the livestock will go to a place like that where they are truly appreciated more than we know. kudos to your better half for working in that environment. Tough for sure.

Unread 01/06/2018, 08:36 PM   #5
saf1
Registered Member

Main advantage of acrylic over glass is the weight. Especially when one starts talking about the size you are looking at. Like I mentioned mine is 240 gallons 54" wide by 30" height and 30" deep. Like you I really love the height of the tank. Having said that due to the weight of the tank it was in my garage sitting in the crate it came in for about 8 months. Just needed some time to align people willing to help, figure out lifting it and rolling it into the house. Could have been sooner I guess but didn't really want to put people out. Had it been made out of acrylic it would have been a no brainer and something my wife and I could have managed. So weight. Also clarity, right? My 100 gallon I previously owned was acrylic and I moved it myself...

I think you are on the right track by doing some research mixed in with your previous experience - you will be fine. For me 100 gallons was the largest I owned. Now everything is in a 40 breeder and the 240 sitting next to it is huge. I sort of forget how everything starts adding up like more water, salt cost, etc. So for me it has been slower all along.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 09:09 PM   #6
sethd12
Registered Member

Do you have any pictures of your 240? I am leaning more towards a custom tank with a depth of 30-36" deep and 6-8 ft long. As far as height I like the 24" so I don't have to take off my shirt to reach the bottom. Im not too worried about the weight as I will have plenty of people to help move it into the home, and I plan to reinforce the floor under the crawl space with floor jacks just in case. I wish there was another manufacturer of large tanks other than Marineland.

Unread 01/06/2018, 11:03 PM   #7
Gatorfan
Registered Member

Check out www.customaquariums.com, a couple people on here have tanks from them. Their range of available sizes is pretty amazing.

Started 6/9/2012
Gatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 09:35 PM   #8
sethd12
Registered Member

After looking at that website, I somehow started looking into a tank in the 350-450 range!! so many choices

Unread 01/07/2018, 10:53 PM   #9
GrampaDon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
Check out www.customaquariums.com, a couple people on here have tanks from them. Their range of available sizes is pretty amazing.
Love mine. It's 84X30X24 = 265 ,low iron on 3 sides.
It's been up now for about 3 mo.

Unread 01/08/2018, 11:10 AM   #10
sethd12
Registered Member

Called customaquariums this morning, waiting on a quote for a 84x30x30. in the meantime I also saw the used 450 gallon tank in the used/dry good selling area of this great forum. If I can talk the wife into going that large, and of course figure out all of the plumbing components and hardware needed I may just jump in with both feet.

Unread 01/08/2018, 02:50 PM   #11
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

If you want bulletproof, consider AGE (acrylic and glass exhibits). Their tanks are routered PVC bottom, thick glass, with eurobracing and stainless steel rim on top. VERY sturdy.

I am working on a 380g build in the near future and we will be using their services. My wife saw a few of the threads from marineland seam failures and the bill for a really well built tank doesnt seem so bad after seeing those!

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 04:03 PM   #12
sethd12
Registered Member

The tank that is listed in the dry good selling area is supposed to be A.G.E. I may have to make the 500 work!

Unread 01/10/2018, 11:44 AM   #13
sethd12
Registered Member

Well guys, the 450 gallon that is listed in the dry good selling section will be headed my way in shortly. Working out getting it crated and shipping down from Indiana. The tank was built by AGE in 2013. Tank dimensions are 108x40x27 so the gallons actually come out to 505 main display from my calculations. Once I get a confirmed ship date I will start a build thread for this long process.

Thanks for all of the help, and stay away from Marineland!!

Unread 01/10/2018, 11:54 AM   #14
anbosu
Registered Member

nice, congrats!

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 02:29 PM   #15
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, that is going to be cool! I'm glad you went with something that has nice depth (front to back). You'll be so happy with all the scaping possibilities that provides!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 02:53 PM   #16
sethd12
Registered Member

The tank is much larger than I originally planned to go, but I didn't want to do a 300, and then want to upgrade in a few years. Depth is what makes the best looking tanks in my opinion. There is a tank floating around RC that has a depth of 4-6ft I believe and is the most impressive tank I have ever seen. I agree that it will provide limitless aquascaping possibilities. Lots in the planning process has already started. As soon as I get a ship date etc I will start the build thread so follow along.

Thanks again guys!!

Unread 01/12/2018, 08:49 AM   #17
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethd12 View Post
The tank is much larger than I originally planned to go, but I didn't want to do a 300, and then want to upgrade in a few years. Depth is what makes the best looking tanks in my opinion. There is a tank floating around RC that has a depth of 4-6ft I believe and is the most impressive tank I have ever seen. I agree that it will provide limitless aquascaping possibilities. Lots in the planning process has already started. As soon as I get a ship date etc I will start the build thread so follow along.

Thanks again guys!!
Maybe start with a scale version and use clay to develop some ideas. I've considered doing this even though my scape is not changing! Nor am I getting a new tank anytime soon. It's just fun! :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 09:42 AM   #18
sethd12
Registered Member

Aquascaping is one thing that I have never been very good at. I can post some pictures of the current rock I have, and the 300 more pounds I will order and maybe you can come up with some ideas if you enjoy doing it!

Unread 01/12/2018, 10:39 AM   #19
TrojanScott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethd12 View Post
Aquascaping is one thing that I have never been very good at. I can post some pictures of the current rock I have, and the 300 more pounds I will order and maybe you can come up with some ideas if you enjoy doing it!

A bit of advice on aquascaping that I have found helpful over the years whenever starting a new tank or re-doing:

Take out a couple pieces of paper, and sketch how you'd imagine you'd want it to look. You don't need to be an artist, just a rough sketch of the layout you see in your mind.

It's always helped me. Does the aquascape come out just like it? Usually not, but pretty darn close. You'll be surprised how much better your aquascaping skills get when you have a point of reference to refer to. I think it helps the brain and body make it happen as well.

TrojanScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 09:04 PM   #20
sethd12
Registered Member

That is a great tip. In the past I have always just started grabbing rock, but with this size tank I think being planned out will help quite a bit.