Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2018, 03:29 PM   #3151
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good! I'm already seeing some interesting posts to your new thread. Cool beans!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 03:38 PM   #3152
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZinCO View Post
Thought I could bring in a wider audience and also was trying to be courteous to you.

Because we need more people to help dilute Michael?

How are the fish doing in the QT and is the lone Houdini accounted for? And when do we get pictures??

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 03:54 PM   #3153
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

All Michael, all the time…Seriously though, thanks to all who weighed in on LED lights - very informative!

One of the grammas died. Another one looks iffy. I thought it was dead, but when I tried to net it, it moved. I don't know if it will make it or not.

Not much to look at, pic-wise, in their little QTs, but I guess I could try.

Unread 01/13/2018, 06:57 AM   #3154
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
All Michael, all the time…Seriously though, thanks to all who weighed in on LED lights - very informative!

One of the grammas died. Another one looks iffy. I thought it was dead, but when I tried to net it, it moved. I don't know if it will make it or not.

Not much to look at, pic-wise, in their little QTs, but I guess I could try.
Are you doing TTM for the grammas? As you know they are ich magnets. I'd recommend taking them through this process at some point.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 08:30 AM   #3155
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I wasn't planning to, McPuff. My plan is hypo salinity for six weeks. I'm open to suggestions. What's your QT procedure?

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:32 AM   #3156
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I just re-read about TTM. I may use it after hypo, just to be sure. Thanks McPuff!

Unread 01/16/2018, 12:19 PM   #3157
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
I just re-read about TTM. I may use it after hypo, just to be sure. Thanks McPuff!
It's really the only method to be sure you have NO MORE ICH on those stinkers.

Unread 01/18/2018, 07:36 AM   #3158
Subsea
Registered Member

Michael,

Thank you for joining in on biodiversity conversation. I like what Calore said about running a sterile reef tank, “It is boring”.

Well, I don’t think that your tank is boring you. For certain, it is not boring me.

Because picture posting is much easier for me at nano reef, I mostly post there. The moderators there subscribe to, “He that governs less, governs best”. That works best for me as well.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 09:46 AM   #3159
Subsea
Registered Member

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...seagrasses.htm

I suspect you may have read this article. The author is very knowledgeable.

Unread 01/18/2018, 10:09 AM   #3160
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Subsea.

It's a good discussion they have going. I've also read a lot of your old posts here and there regarding lighting. Lots of good stuff out there!

I have read that article, but I will read it again, thanks! Sarah is the Queen of Seagrass!

Unread 01/18/2018, 11:19 AM   #3161
taricha
Registered Member

Hey Michael, off topic.
What are your go-to dosing sources? I know we talked about ammonia and the desirability/complications.
Just bring it up because seachem Flourish nitrogen it turns out is half nitrate - half urea. The urea (and its gradual breakdown to ammonia) seems very well suited for plants and green algae.

Ran across the source info for Flourish N in the context of fighting dinos. Algae/plants seem really good at uptake of smaller simpler inorganic forms of N and P, and conversely worse at absorbing forms that are bigger organics. (Dinos flip this, and are weirdly better at bigger organics uptake, and not as good at the simplest NO3 and PO4 uptakes).

But generally interested in your sources for N, P, Fe, K, I etc and your assessment of what you've liked and not.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 12:44 PM   #3162
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey taricha!

Nitrogen and Potassium: Potassium Nitrate, aka stump remover. I was using ammonia before dino outbreak. Now back to potassium nitrate.

Phosphorus: fish food I feed the tank. I experimented with a high phosphate plant tab, since seagrasses prefer root uptake of phosphate. I saw no benefit. I may experiment further, with another phosphate source.

Iron: I've tried a couple of the common bottled iron supplements for aquariums. They both worked well.

Iodine: I occasionally dose a common iodine supplement for aquariums. I'm wary of it because it can easily be overdosed, and I'm not sure how important it is to my plants.

I also dose magnesium occasionally, and a trace element supplement. For the sponges, I dose sodium silicate and feed phytoplankton.

Unread 01/19/2018, 06:53 AM   #3163
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Great topic Taricha and answering post Michael, thank you. I'm certainly taking note of this. I have much to learn. Thanks also for the link Subsea.

Also, McPuff, I like the idea of the TTM method and I think that is what my approach will be when I transfer my critters to the big tank. I may do it sooner.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 09:22 AM   #3164
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Great topic Taricha and answering post Michael, thank you. I'm certainly taking note of this. I have much to learn. Thanks also for the link Subsea.

Also, McPuff, I like the idea of the TTM method and I think that is what my approach will be when I transfer my critters to the big tank. I may do it sooner.
I hadn't ever done it until just over a year ago when I added 3 tangs to my display. Knowing they are prone to ich, I decided it was worth the effort. Turned out to be very easy! And knowing the fish are FREE of ich really settles the nerves. After that you can treat for other parasites using whatever methods (perhaps even in the DT if necessary). I didn't have a proper QT set up back then so some medication was sent via foods and the fish have done great. Now, I'm opting to do the extra medications (prazi, metro) in a designated QT. This has also proven to be quite simple, and has allowed my tiny fish to grow quite nicely in their own private house. :0)

Unread 01/19/2018, 10:01 AM   #3165
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

One thing I forgot to mention on dosing is CO2. Carbon is very important to plants - at least ten times more than nitrogen. Most aquatic plants in nature and aquariums are carbon-limited. So CO2 is often the missing link for good plant growth.

On the flip side, too much CO2 has been implicated in dinoflagellate blooms. I think it was a factor in mine.

Unread 01/19/2018, 10:17 AM   #3166
JZinCO
Registered Member

Michael,
I can't remember how you were dosing co2. With a tank and regulator? Any thoughts on Flourish Excel or glutaraldehyde? My SO and I use the latter two on our f/w planted tank. I'm not sure it makes a difference but the tank is doing just fine either way.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 11:26 AM   #3167
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, I have a tank and regulator, I originally bought for a calcium reactor setup. Well, I rent the tank, and replace it every few months with a full one. By the way, calcium reactors are great for planted tanks. You get the calcium that all plants need, especially the calcified ones like halimeda, plus the benefits of CO2 that all plants need.

Rather than the additional complication of setting up a calcium reactor, I chose to run the air line tubing from the regulator to the intake of my canister filter. I run calcium media in the canister filter, so I still get the benefits of calcium dosing, without setting up (and maintaining) an additional gadget.

I have no experience with Flourish Excel or glutaraldehyde. What are YOUR thoughts on them? Could you start by telling me what they are? What do they add to your tank?

I will say I have a preference for additives that are ONE thing, like Iron. But I'm open to suggestions!

Unread 01/19/2018, 12:14 PM   #3168
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:

I have no experience with Flourish Excel or glutaraldehyde. What are YOUR thoughts on them? Could you start by telling me what they are? What do they add to your tank?

I will say I have a preference for additives that are ONE thing, like Iron. But I'm open to suggestions!
Those products are an alternative source for carbon. I was referred to glut by a friend who I trust for both salt and freshwater guidance.
But.. now that I look into it, I cannot find any evidence that they work well. And glut in fact has some OSHA safe handling practices. Given that, I'm think I'm gonna chuck it. Not worth the risk.
I'll PM you some links for reading, given RC's policy on linking to other forums.

BTW if calc reactors release both CO2 and available calcium, I'll consider that for my next setup. It is getting close to 'build thread' worthy! Still holding off on the 270 gallon, but will work on the cubes (150 reef + 40 planted caribbean).

Unread 01/19/2018, 12:22 PM   #3169
JZinCO
Registered Member

On another note, I was looking into Flourish for reef tanks (just for giggles) and ran across this:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1965442
Based on your additives (I think you used root tabs before), do you suspect you've introduced copper into your system?

edit: ha! I continued reading and saw you commented on that thread. Still, any thoughts about copper?

Unread 01/19/2018, 06:11 PM   #3170
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I don't think I've introduced copper. I don't buy anything with copper in it. I don't think tiny amounts of copper are very harmful, as aquatic plants take up heavy metals including copper. Not sure if this applies to macros though. The safest bet is just to avoid it.

Unread 01/19/2018, 08:42 PM   #3171
Subsea
Registered Member

Yes, macro takes up copper. When I was developing market for the human consumption of Rec Ogo, Gracilaria Parvispora, I sent ogo to an agriculture lab in Nebraska for chemical analysis:

Nitrogen at 2.59%
Phosphorus at 0.082%
Potassium at 13.54%
Calcium at 0.555%
Magnesium at 1.163%
Sulfur at 4.8%
Zinc at 138 ppm
Iron at 107 ppm
Manganese at 20 ppm
Copper at 7.0 ppm

While these numbers do not line up with Redfield Ratio 106/16/1 of carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus, I have been educated on that point of recent. Professor Jerry Brand is Director for Algae Culture Collection with Molecular Bioscience Dept. at UT. It is the largest algae collection in the world, includes fresh and marine algae’s. Because most plants, including seaweed can store nutrients when available, then retrieve them from their biomass when deficient in water column, macro nutrient uptake will depend on what is in the water.

Unread 01/20/2018, 01:25 PM   #3172
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey taricha!

Nitrogen and Potassium: Potassium Nitrate, aka stump remover. I was using ammonia before dino outbreak. Now back to potassium nitrate.

Phosphorus: fish food I feed the tank. I experimented with a high phosphate plant tab, since seagrasses prefer root uptake of phosphate. I saw no benefit. I may experiment further, with another phosphate source.

Iron: I've tried a couple of the common bottled iron supplements for aquariums. They both worked well.

Iodine: I occasionally dose a common iodine supplement for aquariums. I'm wary of it because it can easily be overdosed, and I'm not sure how important it is to my plants.

I also dose magnesium occasionally, and a trace element supplement. For the sponges, I dose sodium silicate and feed phytoplankton.
Michael,
For cryptic sponges, you could dose vinegar as a carbon source. Sponges would get it before bacteria. At one time, I did dose vinegar thinking that I was promoting macro growth. Instead, I disproportionally grew cryptic sponges. For us that grow macro, cryptic sponges are the way to go.

Algae produce DOC, cryptic sponge eats DOC and gives off DIC and Marine Snow, both food for coral. The loop feeds itself, just as in nature.

Unread 01/20/2018, 04:32 PM   #3173
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Time for a Re-Do?

Well, the tank's been up for about three and a half years. I've learned a ton and had a blast in the process. Posting here on RC has been a highlight. I went back to the beginning of this thread and started re-reading. There's a ton of good info in this thing! I'm stoked with all I was able to do. I'm grateful for the help all of you have provided. It's been a great run!

But now I'm feeling like I need to start over. I think starting a tank over has many benefits. I'd like to take all the good stuff I've learned and apply it to next one. I'd like to avoid making some mistakes I've made. I'd like to try doing some things I didn't before. There are several things I'd like to do that aren't possible, while it's up and running.

So I see this as a great opportunity to fix some things that are bugging me, and apply all this knowledge I've acquired over the last few years. I sat down in front of the tank yesterday and wrote down a bunch of stuff I could do, to make it better. I came up with a pretty good list!

Unread 01/20/2018, 07:54 PM   #3174
Subsea
Registered Member

For certain, continue posting on other threads, you have much wisdom to share.

Also, come visit Austin. I will make a seaweed cheviche from my tanks for you.

Unread 01/20/2018, 11:53 PM   #3175
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hold on a second! I'm not quitting. Is that what it sounded like? Not at all. I just need to break the tank down and fix some things.

By the way, thanks for the kind words, Subsea!

I've just reached a point where it looks like the best option is to restart the tank, so I can make some changes that would be impossible to do while it's up and running. I would imagine many of us have gotten to this point. It's that time when you look at your tank and see things you wish you could change, but you put them off, so you don't upset the balance you've worked hard to achieve. So they kind of pile up. Now I've reached that point where I'm ready to make those changes.

One thing I've found in this hobby is that it's very difficult to get everything right the first time. So you make your best effort, and live with it for awhile. In that time you can see where improvements could be made, that you'd never think of in the initial planning. Then, when you're ready, you go back and do it again, and do it righter!

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass