Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2018, 01:13 AM   #1
penaeus
Registered Member

Protein Skimmer without Sump

A newbie here. Setting up a FOWLR tank in my old 65 gallon tank. No sump and the tank has something that makes it difficult to put anything HOB. Will probably add a sump in the future. Since they're expensive and most recommend in-sump models, I would like to ask what problems there are if I put an in-sump protein skimmer in the display tank aside from it not looking good, assuming I put it at its recommended water level. Do most in-sump skimmers have sufficient inlet cover to not suck fish in? Or are bubbles going to be too numerous in the display tank that might affect the well-being of the fish there or is it just an aesthetic problem? Am thinking of getting a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer.

penaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:40 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

You will need to add some type of inlet screen to prevent livestock from being sucked into the pump. I think the micro bubbles will become problematic at least on occasion. Do you have room for a hang on the back skimmer?

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 02:15 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I would either wait until you do have a sump or just manage without. A 65g FOWLR can be easily managed without a skimmer. I ran my 60g cube reef tank without for all of it's 22 years. Just keep up on water changes and you'll be fine.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 03:36 PM   #4
mrsixstrings12
Registered Member

if I remember correctly, I had a HOB reef octopus that I hung from the rim so it was actually in the tank and it worked that way. It looked a bit ridiculous but it made do until I learned about HOB overflows and used one to add a sump.

mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 03:42 PM   #5
HBtank
Premium Member

Tunze DOC Comline skimmers are what you want IMO good reviews and designed for in-tank use, although any non HOB solution is going to require you to maintain water levels in the display to a degree; an ATO for evaporation is avised alongside it if not already in-place.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze...mmer-9004.html

There is a DC version for 50 more too. This skimmer should have no problem adapting to a sump in the future if you get one, or any tank honestly, they are just not particularly big (although there is a larger one for 300).

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote